Okay, Greek yogurt lovers - what's the catch?!

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I prefer the Chobani actually and eat one every night. Nom nom!
  • snykim2005
    snykim2005 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    those yogurts are full of sugar. most have 19 g's of sugar! thats more than half of how much sugar i should eat in one day!
    but plain yogurt and add your own things to it!
  • Excira
    Excira Posts: 21
    Options
    It really depends on your intake of sugar and protein. Chobani has the most protein but a lot of the Greek yogurts have a good amount of sugar as well. I wanted the protein but can't handle the sugar (and definitely cannot eat artificial sweeteners). So, I opted for a low sugar whey protein shake (in chocolate) to get what I need... although, I'd love it if Greek yogurt was on my "yes" list.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i eat the Olikos fat free cherry bottom. closest thing ive found to cherry cheescake, lmao...i often think about sprikling grahm cracker crumbs on it. lol

plain yogurt makes me gag...i think its best used in cooking etc, not just to eat plain. some ppl add honey etc, but honey has a load of sugar in it too...natural or not.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I tried Dannon's Oikos - Traditional Strawberry this morning and oh my goodness, it was so good I practically licked the inside of the cup.

I've tried Chobani and nearly retched at the awful taste (though admittedly tried it plain and did not add much to it because I could not get past the bitterness). I want to eat Greek yogurt, because I know of the health benefits versus other types of yogurt -

-- but now that I've found one I absolutely love, I feel that there absolutely must be a catch. Is the Dannon Oikos (traditional) worse for you than 0% Fage, or Chobani?

Are the aforementioned brands just something you have to stomach and get used to? :huh:

I could use some serious guidance right now. :laugh:

Eat the one you like. I like Chobani but I never eat it plain. I mix it with vanilla stevia, in fruit salad, or with PB2 and stevia.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fage 0 or 2% plain is awesome. mix in some stevia drops, fruit, and nuts.
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    Tried plain Chobani and literally vomitted a few minutes after digesting very little of it. Thought it might have been bad, but did not expire for a couple of weeks. I'm afraid to try it again... but like others have said, maybe adding fruit or other alternatives may help.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Even regular plain yogurt is bitter and tangy.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Chobani black cherry is my favorite. Plain yogurt is bitter, that's why they flavor it with fruit.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Chobani black cherry and blueberry are my favorites!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    LOVE Chobani 0% plain yogurt! I'd rather add my own stuff to it. I'll add PB2 and low-sugar preserves, or one packet of Splenda and some fresh strawberries/blueberries/raspberries, or I add it to smoothies. Never buy anything else, now.
  • abbyface
    Options
    Plain 0% or 2% Fage (best calorie:protein ratio and good texture) with honey, berries (fresh or frozen), and granola mixed in has been my favorite. I've been buying Trader Joe's 0% MF Greek yogurt as a cheaper alternative, though.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I buy plain non fat greek yogurt and add a flavored protein powder and fresh frozen fruit. Much better than the flavors in the store
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani Raspberry 0% everyday! I have tried quite a few greek yogurts and Chobani is my fave. (I hate their lemon kind though)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos is also the only one that I like, I get the vanilla flavor (fat free) and usually add a little granola and occasionally fruit too. I've tried Chobani and Fage and I'm not a big fan either.
    I don't typically like yogurt at all though, the only other kinds I like are the yoplait whips (not greek).
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is the 0% Fage with a little honey, some berries, and a small handful of granola - sooo tasty, and keeps me full for a long time! But in terms of it being better or worse, I'm not sure...my general rule with buying things like yogurt is to buy plain, and add my own flavorings though, so that I can control what's going in there :)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I buy plain non fat greek yogurt and add a flavored protein powder and fresh frozen fruit. Much better than the flavors in the store

Try throwing your stuff in a blender, and adding a bit of almond butter, Then freeze it in a glass bowl for a great treat later!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've had Yoplait greek, and it was gross. The only Greek yogurt I like is Oikos pineapple. I don't like any other brand, flavor, etc, and that's only because I really like pineapple. To me, it tastes like sour cream mixed with fruit.
  • mikayla169
    mikayla169 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oikos is amazing, that's all the needs to be said!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Chobani any of the ones with fruit, the apple cinnamon is a favorite when I can find it. I use the plain as a substitute for sour cream and for cooking