Shake Weight?

Options
Does anylne have that as seen on tv shake weight? lol I saw it at walmart and was tempted to buy. Does it work??? Or would it be a waste of money?

Replies

• Cranny
    Cranny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have it - but honestly haven't give it a full-trial run...

But you sure can feel it workin' the muscles in your arms!! Comes with a DVD, which I guess I SHOULD try - but I don't have a DVD player in my living room - it's in the bedroom............

I'm sure if you (or I) kept at it, it would probably work pretty good. The concept is SO simple, but like I said - you CAN feel it working.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    what is it?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    what is it?

its actually kinds funny looking..and it looks like your doing something dirty while using it..lol but its like a weigh that you move it back and forth...you can look it up online because thats a bad explanation lol
  • iamalexa
    iamalexa Posts: 53
    Options
    I have it and I did it with the DVD for like 2 weeks when I first got it. I could feel it in the beginning but after a while it become really easy for me. Although I think it depends on the person, becasue my friends tried it and they said it was really hard, granted they are like tiny tiny people. But regular weights work just the same if you ask me!:) Good luck!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I have one - my bat wings are going away using it... my daughter talked me into buying it (of course she got one too) and she likes it. I have regular barbells but the shakeweight seems to add a different dimension. I even feel it work on my neck / chin area (which I need...:laugh: LOL). :bigsmile:
  • samfenton4
    samfenton4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have seen it before.... my trainer said that its useless. but hes old fashioned and hardcore (typical football coach/navy seal). so personally wouldnt get it because i trust him and it doesnt look like that it will take u to the next level. it may help in the beginning, but im sure that youll plateau pretty quick and then you wont have any use for it.... hope that helps!:smile:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I have one - my bat wings are going away using it... my daughter talked me into buying it (of course she got one too) and she likes it. I have regular barbells but the shakeweight seems to add a different dimension. I even feel it work on my neck / chin area (which I need...:laugh: LOL). :bigsmile:

ooo i need the chin area too! how long have you been using it. and how often do you do it for how long.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Like Alexa and Sam said, I think it would be a good start, but like any exercise it would eventually become easy and you'd need to do more. It's like buying one dumbbell; it will certainly help get you started, but you need extra weights later.

So if it gets you started go for it!
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you could pick up a rock or book and shake it vigorously the same way, for the same results. Shaking anything hard and fast in your hands like that will work the same muscles, this is just shaped a little easier to grip. But try it, then try shaking a heavy book or small weight, or a rock. It will do the same thing. :)
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Like with any TV gimmick, do a LOT of research before committing to it. One-trick-ponies like the Shake Weight and Ab Circle may provide SOME results, but compare its cost to the benefit of getting (to quote Alton Brown) a "uni-tasker."

Anecdotal evidence ("my friend said it was AWESOME!!!!") means less than unbiased consumer reporting. Consumer Reports reviewed a number of infomercial products, and some like the Ab Rocket, Rock-n-Go Exerciser, and Red Exerciser DX ultimately failed to provide any better results than standard floor exercises like sit-ups.

And at least with sit-ups, you're not paying $100 - $230 for a gimmick!
  • erinmc
    erinmc Posts: 7
    Options
    I just got the shake weight yesterday at bed bath and beyond ($20 BUT HAD A 5 DOLLAR OFF COUPON) and hadn't seen the infomercial before. did my first workout today and i loved it! i really felt it everywhere! upper body including core. and it was quicker than a routine with regular dumbells and fun to shake! it gets your heart rate going while giving strength training also. and unlike what others said you wouldn't need more weight if it gets easier for you, you could always just increase your reps until you feel fatigue. muscle fatigue is the same wether you do more reps with less weight or less reps with heavier weights! and it might look silly to you, but i didn't think so really and thats part of the fun anyway! what im trying to figure out is how to track it on the exercise database. anyone have any thoughts? maybe 6mins intense weights?