renal diet and losing weight

Options
I just found out I have moderate renal failure. Iam hoping to get my numbers up with diet and exercise. The bummer is a lot of the foods I relied on for my foods have to go. Brown rice, yogert, bananas, oranges, steak etc..... No more green monsters boo hoo. So any tips would be welcome. I have to watch my potassium, sodium and protein. The salt won't be a problem since I rarely eat it. I also have to lower my cholesterol. This will teach me to not fall off the wagon again. You only hurt yoursef.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have moderate renal failure. Iam hoping to get my numbers up with diet and exercise. The bummer is a lot of the foods I relied on for my foods have to go. Brown rice, yogert, bananas, oranges, steak etc..... No more green monsters boo hoo. So any tips would be welcome. I have to watch my potassium, sodium and protein. The salt won't be a problem since I rarely eat it. I also have to lower my cholesterol. This will teach me to not fall off the wagon again. You only hurt yoursef.

Where you have a medical condition, you really should be seeking the dietary help from a Registered Dietician who works in conjunction with both your PCP and your Nephrologist. They are the only people you should be relying on for help with this where you have a current medical condition..... this website is not a medical resource that has access to your medical records, labs, etc....

Especially where you have to watch your protein, potassium and sodium levels... dont come here... go back to the medical professionals and smack them for not educating you enough... They should be ashamed....
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Where you have a medical condition, you really should be seeking the dietary help from a Registered Dietician who works in conjunction with both your PCP and your Nephrologist. They are the only people you should be relying on for help with this where you have a current medical condition..... this website is not a medical resource that has access to your medical records, labs, etc....

Especially where you have to watch your protein, potassium and sodium levels... dont come here... go back to the medical professionals and smack them for not educating you enough... They should be ashamed....

Agreed.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this OP, but I definitely think getting your doctor to send you to a dietician is best.

Good luck to you, and I hope you can get this under control!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My gp didn' t even mention it to me, I only found out because I had to get lab work done for my insurance coverage. Ticks me off. I am calling them tommorrow to grip about it and to get refered to a renal doc. The only thing my doc was sorried about was my cholesterol which doesn' t concern me much because I know I can get that down getting back on track. How they could miss my pottasium and GFR though I don't know. Now, I am a nurse and the advice you gave was excellent, same advice I would give my patients but I know I am not the only one here that has this problem. Hoping to hear from others on what has helped the most. Thanks all.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You are smart to do what you can now to get info on the correct diet. My kidneys have failed and I need dialysis 3 times a week. I have been on dialysis about 3 1/2 years. It is no fun. The diet restriction are pretty crazy but the hardest part is restricting my fluid intake. I do hope for a transplant but the wait list is about 8 years. Please follow up and get the answers you are seeking.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    That is what I want to prevent. My numbers were good 6 months ago so I hope I can reverse the process and not get to that stage. My glucose was also getting up higher then I would like to see. I feel pretty stupid as I know it was this last year of not eating right that got me in this boat. But I now not only am really motivated, I have to do this. Have too. And for all you young ones out there. This is where years of eating poorly and making bad choices can land you. There, now aren't you even more glad you found this place and started the process of healthy eating!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Now, I am a nurse and the advice you gave was excellent, same advice I would give my patients but I know I am not the only one here that has this problem. Hoping to hear from others on what has helped the most. Thanks all.

Then if you are a nurse - then you would know not to come to a non-medical website then. What works for one renal patient, may not be medically advisable to you, or the next patient. It could be a detriment that causes contraindications....
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have renal problems.

The medicine has to come forward.
    What is stopping it right now, is old age barbaric ethical beliefs.

Scientists should really be given green light to start working on cloning technology to replicate human tissues of every organ.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    oh also there were times when they would kill a person for believing that earth was orbiting sun.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this OP, but I definitely think getting your doctor to send you to a dietician is best.

Good luck to you, and I hope you can get this under control!

Agreed, as well. I am a RD and I work with renal patients a lot. You need to ask your GP for a referral to a nephrologist for more extensive evaluation of your kidney function and what's causing your GFR and BUN/Creat to be abnormal. With regard to diet, ask for a referral to an RD that can evaluate your current lab work and develop a medical nutr therapy prescription to meet your current needs.