Anybody taking Synthroid?

Options
My doctor just put me on this medication about two weeks ago for an underactive thyroid. I've been having some side effects. I've had a little bit of hair loss as well as dizziness. I don't know if it's because I'm not drinking enough water throughout the day? I am going to try my hardest to drink more and see if that helps.

On a positive note it's really helped with my energy level and I think it's also helping my weight loss :)

Has anybody had any side effects with this medication?

Replies

• a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ive been on .25 for 8 weeks and have only noticed positive effects of it.

If you're having any side effects you should let your doctor know tomorrow.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I've already made an appointment to get my blood tested again this Friday to see how it's helping my thyroid. I can deal with a little hair loss but these dizzy spells are getting old!
  • Katehearts
    Katehearts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the dosage might actually be a little high. When my thyroid was overactive I'd get light-headed and my heart would race.

Your doctor should have you on a very low dosage and work his way up if need be.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I have been on levothyroxin (generic form of synthroid) for 15 years. My levels were really low so I am on a higher dose, but I have not had any side effects like that. In fact, those were symptoms I had because of the underactive thyroid. Hope you are able to get it figured out :)
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 20 years. 5 years ago had thyroid removed so will take it for life. It takes a while for your body to adjust. Just be consistent and don't miss doses. I am to the point now that I don't feel any difference, but I am sure if I missed multiple days I would.

Yes...get the blood work done !! I was going every 3 months and now I think we are stretching it out to 6 months.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    My doctor just put me on this medication about two weeks ago for an underactive thyroid. I've been having some side effects. I've had a little bit of hair loss as well as dizziness. I don't know if it's because I'm not drinking enough water throughout the day? I am going to try my hardest to drink more and see if that helps.

On a positive note it's really helped with my energy level and I think it's also helping my weight loss :)

Has anybody had any side effects with this medication?

I have the same thing and my doctor prescribes me Nature-Throid, a bioidentical thyroid, no side effects at all for me. Ask you doctor about it. It's probably more expensive but it's worth it to me to have bioidentical. We are all different as far as side effects.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    Doc started me on .25 about 5 weeks ago & just upped me to .5 a week ago. I noticed for the first 2 weeks I had a couple of dizzy spells, then my body got used to it and they stopped. My weight loss has finally ramped up, I have more energy than I've had in years, my skin is clearing up, my depression's lifting, and my sex drive's finally back. The benefits for me far outweigh the slight effects: going to the bathroom 3-4/day & mild forgetfulness. My original tests showed in the low range of normal, but to quote the doc, "Maybe that's not your normal." Losing hair is a side effect of too little and too much. Just make sure to let your doc know what's happening.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I've taken synthroid my whole life. I've never had symptoms from it. I like it because it really doesn't have much side effects usually. I would ask your doctor.
  • a_crotty
    Options
    Amen sista! I am hoping they up my dosage to .5 today, however even at .25, my mood is SO much better, the skin on my hands has improved from constantly splitting and cracking to beautiful, I use the restroom normally and I feel better energy wise as well. I am hoping it amps my weight loss now.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for almost ten years! My dosage increases slowly but steadily- but I have not had what I'd call "brain fog" like I had when I was diagnosed at age 24. I was feeling crazy at the time. Now I get frustrated when my endo doesn't listen to me- I have a good grasp of where I feel good and when I start to feel hypo, but she sticks to her numbers. Normally if I say I feel a little hypo, the labs support it. But when they don't I feel frustrated, because it's (not horribly, but kind of) miserable- acne, fatigue, constipation, hair loss, no sex drive, and the scale usually goes up :( I would really like to try Armour- I know several people who've had success with it and have read a LOT about different thyroid medications, I may even go see another Dr. if mine isn't willing to have a conversation about it. I've seen the Synthroid rep in her office many, many times.
    I think I would just like to know if this is my "best" or not. And my Dr. doesn't have the best bedside manner, so that always irks me- but I bet you'll be feeling a TON better now that you are getting treatment! I hope it also translates to the weight loss you are looking for- it will certainly help!
    Good luck :)
  • a_crotty
    Options
    I'm off to a ENDO now rather that my regular PCP. Blah!
  • rladd6421
    Options
    i've been on synthroid since my teens my dosage now is 100mcg, i've never had any side affects from it but i certainly notice when i go off of it for a couple days. i also prefer to see an endo instead of my normal dr for my thyroid issues, my endo will put me in a range where i feel normal as long as i'm within a normal range; ex: low end of normal or high end of normal.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's disease and take 150mcg, daily.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Wow this post came in super handy! I'm Starting 25 this week. My levels are borderline, but endo says it may help PCOS, fatigue, weight etc. Thanks for all the answers - I'm feeling excited!
    One of my girlfriends also takes and said she did experience hair loss when she first started... but isn't that an effect of hypo anyway? New to this.. thank you! xoxo
  • jmducklips
    Options
    I was on Armour for 1.5 years and it did nothing for me. I had all of the same symptoms and I felt horrible. I went to three different doctors trying to get one of them to change my medication because I felt horrible and I could not lose weight no matter what I did. After the birth of my twins I lost my baby weight but I had to work my *kitten* off, it took five long hard years but I did it, and I was finally diagnosed with hypo. I thought that after being put on Armour weight loss would be much easier for me and I would feel better. I was wrong. I found a new, amazing doctor and he put me on Synthroid a week ago. I have not felt this amazing in years. I have been PMS'ing but even though it is that time of the month, I have energy, I feel great, and in the past week I have lost 3 lbs without changing anything. I do eat healthy and I drink a ton of water normally and I have a regular workout routine. But I feel amazing on it and I am so glad I found a new doctor.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Im on Levothyroxin also and dosage is continually updating, currently on 125mcg - sounds like you need a dosage adjustment to help with the dizziness etc...and yes helps TREMENDOUSLY with the moods, sleep, being cold all the time!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im on Levothyroxin also and dosage is continually updating, currently on 125mcg - sounds like you need a dosage adjustment to help with the dizziness etc...and yes helps TREMENDOUSLY with the moods, sleep, being cold all the time!

Im also on Levothyroxin...Well kind of. Im supposed to be on it I ran out then had some traveling come up and I forgot it..Ive been off it for 3 weeks... Grr. I take 50mcg I think...I will say when I came off it I got dizzy spells
  • cvillneauve
    Options
    The dizzyness and hair loss is due to the low levels of thyroid hormone in your system, not the medication. If your levels are too low you can even pass out. Once the synthroid starts building in your system, the dizzyness will go away and your hair will grow back. Your blood pressure may be low but that will come back up as well. It takes awhile for the medication to build in your system and your body to catch up. I get my levels checked every 6 weeks until my levels are stable, then 3 months, then 6 months, then yearly. I unfortunately have not had stable levels for a year which is dissapointing since I went almost 8 years without a medication adjustment.

I do agree that if you are taking too much synthroid you can get dizzy as well but this is from the high blood pressure that can come along with too much thyroid hormone.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid for a little over a year now.. My dosage was increased every 3 months until it seems I've finally balanced out at 100mcg (for 6 months now). My hair was coming out by the handful any time i brushed or washed it. I was getting headaches and diziness. I will say that I feel it has helped with my moods and depression.. However since starting this medication I did have my first instance of passing out mid-conversation. That was about 6 months after I started and a few days after a dose increase. I cant seem to get my energy back though, I am literally ALWAYS tired and don't feel like doing much which is the complete opposite of how I've always been. If anyone has any advice about how I can boost my energy levels, please let me know! Thanks.