A good positive action

Options
Watching Rachel Ray today about recycling.

I have now been recycling as of June 1 full year.
Plastic bottles
plastic bags, newspaper, cans and glass.

I cannot believe the waste I have cut down on.

Our trash pick up has now gone from 2-3 cans a week to one.

I haul off every two weeks my recycleables to the center.

It really makes me feel good.

Anyway, on Rachel Ray today, a lawyer now artist, recycles his waste into art.... It's really awesome, check him out.

The good thing also is my teenager nad his friends. They all are on the recycle bandwagon.....

I hope it catches on.

Good for us all that do or try!!!!!

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Watching Rachel Ray today about recycling.

I have now been recycling as of June 1 full year.
    Plastic bottles
    plastic bags, newspaper, cans and glass.

I cannot believe the waste I have cut down on.

Our trash pick up has now gone from 2-3 cans a week to one.

I haul off every two weeks my recycleables to the center.

It really makes me feel good.

Anyway, on Rachel Ray today, a lawyer now artist, recycles his waste into art.... It's really awesome, check him out.

The good thing also is my teenager nad his friends. They all are on the recycle bandwagon.....

I hope it catches on.

Good for us all that do or try!!!!!
  • charlie0309
    charlie0309 Posts: 11
    Options
    We've been recycling for years. Our recyclables get picked up the same day as our garbage. Within the last few months they've started picking up a 'green' bin too.

This is what is collected in the green bin:
    # Fruits, vegetable scraps
    # Meat, shellfish, fish products
    # Pasta, bread, cereal
    # Dairy products, egg shells
    # Coffee grounds, filters, tea bags
    # Soiled paper towels, tissues
    # Soiled paper food packaging: fast food paper packaging, ice cream boxes, muffin paper, flour and sugar bags
    # Paper plates
    # Candies, cookies, cake
    # Baking ingredients, herbs, spices
    # Household plants, including soil

We put out about 1 bag of garbage every two weeks.

My daughter is in kindergarten and they are learning about the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    I think it's awesome.
    I found a website that you can report litter bugs on the hwys and roads too.

I have reported about 12 this tear.

Throwing trash out of a moving car, or onto a parking lot.

I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!

You can look online to your local government and there will be a website per state then per county to report.

They ask for car tag, car make or model, what they threw out if known and where and time of day.

Then they send out a warning and a trash bag and a ash tray to that person with a letter about where they were busted,
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It is SO MUCH easier to recycle in Iowa. Guh. I haven't been so good about it out here. You think in hippieville, it'd be better. :(

I live in an apt complex so we have to haul our recycleables. I don't exactly have a proper vehicle for that, eee.

I sadly do not recycle anymore (unless I'm in a public place) but at least I've cut down dramatically on the sorts of things i buy (ie, soda cans).

And I do use reusable bags a lot! at Whole Foods.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome.
    I found a website that you can report litter bugs on the hwys and roads too.

I have reported about 12 this tear.

Throwing trash out of a moving car, or onto a parking lot.

I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!

You can look online to your local government and there will be a website per state then per county to report.

They ask for car tag, car make or model, what they threw out if known and where and time of day.

Then they send out a warning and a trash bag and a ash tray to that person with a letter about where they were busted,

WHAT?

Please tell me that's a PICTURE of a trash bag - because a trash bag takes oil to produce, it's plastic, etc.
  • elliott062907
    Options
    nope, from what I understand, they send a trash bag a ash tray and a warning. I guess they figure if you bag itup, through it away nad actually put it in the trash, it will be in a confined place and not the roadside....
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It is SO MUCH easier to recycle in Iowa. Guh. I haven't been so good about it out here. You think in hippieville, it'd be better. :(

I live in an apt complex so we have to haul our recycleables. I don't exactly have a proper vehicle for that, eee.

I sadly do not recycle anymore (unless I'm in a public place) but at least I've cut down dramatically on the sorts of things i buy (ie, soda cans).

And I do use reusable bags a lot! at Whole Foods.

:laugh: Which hippieville are you in? I'm in Berkeley. My apt complex makes it easy to recycle, I just have to take the stuff down to the garage where the bins are.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oregon is a very "green" state and we've been recycling a lot of things here for years. It keeps getting easier and easier, so pretty much everybody does it. Trash haulers pick up our recyclables every week and we separate recyclables into their own separate container. At my school we also recycle, and each classroom has a recycle bin which kids have the job to pick up twice a week. There's so many little things we do that I couldn't begin to mention them all. We've learned to reduce our energy use, reuse all kinds of things, and recycle anything we can. Our school has an award for being a "premier green school" for the past three years. I was even suprised by getting an "energy star" award at my school this year because I walk to school every day (which I do partly to lessen my carbon footprint, but also mainly to help stay in shape.) I guess maybe all of Oregon is kind of hippieville! Hooray for all you other "greenies" out there! :bigsmile:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i feel very fortunate to live in a 'hippieville usa" (asheville NC) and i love how much people around here love the earth.

There are still litterbugs, and i actually have used the service listed above to report litterbugs. (my biggest pet peeve)

i can see where sending these folks a trashbag COULD be a waste of resources (seeing as how they probably wont use it) but all in all i think that the idea is good, regardless of the oil used to produce the plastic trashbag.

ive been reading your posts today, your are quite the firecracker ms maverick. Why not trying coming up with some way to make your vehicle recyclable friendly? (unless you drive a bike, in which case i guess youd just have to get some kind of wagon hitch) but i think all in all its work out-able (we have to haul our recyclables also, and my cutlass does just fine, i just have plastic that i put down to avoid any seepage)

if you guys have the area, it is also worth getting a compost bin for all of your biodegradable trash. it makes great fertilizer! (and gives me a place to discard my pet bunnies poop!)
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's funny, growing up my family always recycled and had a compost bin, I thought everyone did. Now that I live on my own I know how hard it is to put in that extra effort to recycle. I am happy that it is becoming more popular and more convenient. So a big round of applause to anyone who is working on being more green! :flowerforyou:
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    wow I feel like a thread killer, every time I post something I am the last one!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    wow I feel like a thread killer, every time I post something I am the last one!

i feel that way alot too starlight.. dont worry its not you, its just timing :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Another thing - I recycle almost all glass jars I get from food. They work just as well as tupperware, and don't cost a cent. I've got a drawer full of them, and anytime I need to store some soup or pasta or anything I just throw it in a jar instead of a bag/tupperware. If you let them soak for a day the labels usually come cleanly off and you can label them like so.

They're also really good for holding spices you use a lot of - I'm Italian, so I've got a big jar full of garlic, oregano, basil, and rosemary :)