Earning extra calories for exercise??

Options
Why does my fitness pal add calories if you've exercised? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising and burning those extra calories for weight loss?

Replies

• lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my fitness pal already sets your calories to a standard as if you were to loose that one pound or two depending on your goals for the week. SO on days you dont evecise you only eat the reccomended calories. On days you do exercise you eat your exercise calories too. The exercise keeps you from having a flabby body. NO one wants to be skinny and flabby now. SO keep it up and you should see good results.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It shows the extra calories basically to show you what you have earned for the day. This doesn't mean you must eat those extra calories. If you did, you would basically maintain your weight since you'd eat what you burned. It really is a good thing to see how close or under you are to what you actually have for the day. I love knowing how much extra I have. It makes me proud of myself in a sense! :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It shows the extra calories basically to show you what you have earned for the day. This doesn't mean you must eat those extra calories. If you did, you would basically maintain your weight since you'd eat what you burned. It really is a good thing to see how close or under you are to what you actually have for the day. I love knowing how much extra I have. It makes me proud of myself in a sense! :happy:

WRONG!!! If you set MFP to loose weight to hit your goal of say 2 pounds per week you must eat your exercise calories. If not 2 things might happen,
    1) you may loose more weight as your caloric deficit would be larger or
    2) your body may go into starvation mode making it harder to loose weight as your body holds on to every calorie consumed.

If you are happy with your goal when signing up, then eat your exercise calories.
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    I have been using this program for just over 2 weeks now...I've lost 5 lbs. I exercise 6 days a week, I follow the daily caloric allowance pretty close , often being just under the calorie goal for the day...as erickirb had mentioned...your body can go into starvation mode and then you won't lose any weight! I think this program is pretty good and can be very effective if followed consistently!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Exercise isn't to burn calories, it's to keep us in good shape. Great cardiovascular health and toned muscles are the results. Being able to eat extra calories is merely an effect of exercise. You need to eat the cals to fuel your workout.
  • lovergirlcharm
    Options
    Thanks for that website sonjavon. I was a little confused with all the extra calories I was gaining due to exercise.