Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    still am. still eat it too! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Her Chinese food could easily be fried with a high calorie sauce, so yes, that is junk food.

OP - you seem like such a nice person and I can tell you're really struggling. I don't have much to contribute except to say that you've gotten some pretty good advice on this topic so far. Drinking more water will help keep you full and will aid overall in general health.

Just try cutting back a bit for starters and do a little more every day or every week. Don't be harsh on yourself if you backslide. Learn from it, and keep going. I know you can beat this junk food addiction!

Oh, so high calorie make it junk? It's a shame to discover that avacados are junk food. I guess I better eat a fun-sized candy bar and save those calories.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you drink soda--I find that when I cut out soda it greatly reduces my desire for junk/fast food. I still get cravings of course but totally manageable ones.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If you drink soda--I find that when I cut out soda it greatly reduces my desire for junk/fast food. I still get cravings of course but totally manageable ones.

Now soda would be considered "junk food" if it were a food instead of a beverage. Yeah, I quit drinking it. I do take a sip once in a while when my kids have one.
    :sad:
    But wait! They are actually pretty low calorie. Oh now I'm so confused.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes.

This book [link:http://www.amazon.com/I-Quit-Sugar-ebook/dp/B007F8KWHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352072839&sr=8-1&keywords=i+quit+sugar]I Quit Sugar[/link] really helped me.

It's very chatty in tone and easy to read. It suggests quitting sugar as a series of weekly experiments - so week 1, you cut down on refined carbs; week 2, you eat more fat, etc. It's very much 'try this and see how you feel' rather than a bunch of sugar scare stories.

And it's very much about being kind to yourself.

I don't want to over-step the mark, but I sense that you don't feel good about yourself.

When I was eating crap, I didn't feel good about myself either. I was cooking three course meals for other people, but when it came my own dinner I'd settle for a bag of off-brand tortilla chips.

The good news is eating healthy (or to be more accurate, eating healthier - there's still a lot of room for improvement in my diet) has made a huge difference in my life and it can make a difference in yours, too.

It's more expensive. It takes more time. But that's money and time invested in yourself. Like L'Oreal says, you're worth it.

You are better than your cravings.

ETA: Sorry, can't seem to add a link :/ Pls copy and paste into your browser.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try almonds when you want something salty and grapes when you want something sweet.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Since when was Chinese food considered junk food? That's a new one.

The only thing I have ever been addicted to was nicotine. I gained weight simply from not paying attention or caring about what I ate. Now I still eat things that I like, I am just more aware of nutrients (of which Chinese food has plenty) and keeping to my target calories.

There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome. So it basically comes down to what you *choose* to eat. It's your body, your goals. If you want Chinese food, then eat it, or don't. It's your decision to make.

you could have a psychological addiction to anything..

chinese food isn't junk food, but a lot of it is oil laden and unhealthy in western countries because thats the way people like it.

chinese people in general don't eat like that. its fake chinese food.

but yah, its not actually "junk".
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days to take off an addiction. You need to find a new substitute to junk food - other, healthy favourite food that keeps your mind off junk. My favourite food used to be pizza - now it's strawberry fruit salad.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ok I am having a hard time. I am doing this whole program because I am addicted to junk/fast food.. I buy they food to eat 20 bites then get very full and hungry again 20 minutes later till eventually I get bored of that food and order something else. I waste all my money on junk food. I finally went to the grocery and bought some more healthy foods.. And bottled water. But I desperately want to eat some chinese food from last night.. How long did it take for you to stop eating fast/junk food? I eat it everyday or so... I really am going to stop.. But need some guidance.. I dont feel healthy?

Girlfriend, that's exactly what I was doing. If you read up what that does to your body you will stop in a heartbeat, or your heart will simply do it without your consent.....

I started 25 days ago with just eating healthy as it seemed I was becoming sensitive to the gluten that is in most fast foods, bread, etc. What a difference right away. I lost 7lbs right off the bat. Then I got sick from a fast food trip and I was down to a 3lb loss.... so I learned pretty quick.

I am allowing myself once per WEEK to get something that is within my caloric "budget" (1200/day). That's it. And oddly, my body doesn't seem to mind it as much now.

Remember, it takes about 20 minutes for your body to tell your brain you are FULL... so eat a reasonable portion and stick with it. Also water is your friend. It will help wash out the toxins your body will be releasing while you lose weight. Drink water religiously. It's been a huge help for me and it helps with the hunger pangs.

Hope that helps. If I can keep driving past FF restaurants, you can too, trust me.... :)

ok thank u i will try this..... water will help... I just bought a 20 pack of water bottles becuse its easier for me to grab a botle than a cup with ice for some reason.. thanks! i actually barely drink water so hopefully this will help

I used to live off candy, cookies, crisps and chocolate. what helped me is understanding that food is fuel for your body. candy, cookies, crisps and chocolate / junk food don't fuel your body, so if you eat too much its bad for your body. when i look at it now i see empty calories. so for a small snack just between meals as a treat sure. but it cant satisfy your hunger and nutritional needs so it gives you nothing.

THAT COOKIE IS CHEATING. HE PRETENDS HES SUPER GOOD, BUT HE GIVES YOU NOTHING BACK.

you know, junk food if it was a person, would be the douche-bag who says all the sweet things to get with you, but is never there for you when you need him, and is probably getting down with your skanky neighbour. you gotta kick the playa to the curb.

:P
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options

No country's cuisine can be considered healthy or unhealthy. (I'm Scottish so I should know.) It all depends what goes into it and how it's cooked.

Unfortunately, a lot of the things on the menu at Chinese takeaways are high in fat (and I'm a big proponent of 'fat is good' but that's fat from your avocado, not from deep-fried chicken balls), high in MSG, high in sodium, high in sugar etc.

It's very different to Chinese food cooked at home.
    There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome.

Physiologically, that's up for debate. But it completely ignores the psychological attachment, which can be just as difficult and painful to break.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing that worked for me was starting to work out.

I didn't use MFP for the first 9 months after deciding I need to make a change or die quite young. I actually set out to NOT change my eating at all, just add in exercise. Well, that attitude went straight out of the window when I came to the realization that I was putting out a ton of effort trying to get more fit... I naturally began to gravitate towards eating better, and my weight started to register on the scale again, and I was losing fat.

I got on MFP to really make sure my food was on track. I don't go overboard, mind you. I still occasionally have fast food, but I track everything pretty much, and I now have a good understanding of what it means, numbers-wise. It helps keep me in check.

This is just what worked for me.

first off thank u for posting on my question secondly! I am very happy you lost 97 pounds! good for you!!! keep going your doing great!!! I am so so happy that if people really stick to this it can work your a great success story!!!! :) I am only trying to get healthy and lose my junk food addiction and when I see huge progress like yours I cant help but to comment on this...! great job!!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    ok I am having a hard time. I am doing this whole program because I am addicted to junk/fast food.. I buy they food to eat 20 bites then get very full and hungry again 20 minutes later till eventually I get bored of that food and order something else. I waste all my money on junk food. I finally went to the grocery and bought some more healthy foods.. And bottled water. But I desperately want to eat some chinese food from last night.. How long did it take for you to stop eating fast/junk food? I eat it everyday or so... I really am going to stop.. But need some guidance.. I dont feel healthy?

Girlfriend, that's exactly what I was doing. If you read up what that does to your body you will stop in a heartbeat, or your heart will simply do it without your consent.....

I started 25 days ago with just eating healthy as it seemed I was becoming sensitive to the gluten that is in most fast foods, bread, etc. What a difference right away. I lost 7lbs right off the bat. Then I got sick from a fast food trip and I was down to a 3lb loss.... so I learned pretty quick.

I am allowing myself once per WEEK to get something that is within my caloric "budget" (1200/day). That's it. And oddly, my body doesn't seem to mind it as much now.

Remember, it takes about 20 minutes for your body to tell your brain you are FULL... so eat a reasonable portion and stick with it. Also water is your friend. It will help wash out the toxins your body will be releasing while you lose weight. Drink water religiously. It's been a huge help for me and it helps with the hunger pangs.

Hope that helps. If I can keep driving past FF restaurants, you can too, trust me.... :)

ok thank u i will try this..... water will help... I just bought a 20 pack of water bottles becuse its easier for me to grab a botle than a cup with ice for some reason.. thanks! i actually barely drink water so hopefully this will help

I used to live off candy, cookies, crisps and chocolate. what helped me is understanding that food is fuel for your body. candy, cookies, crisps and chocolate / junk food don't fuel your body, so if you eat too much its bad for your body. when i look at it now i see empty calories. so for a small snack just between meals as a treat sure. but it cant satisfy your hunger and nutritional needs so it gives you nothing.

THAT COOKIE IS CHEATING. HE PRETENDS HES SUPER GOOD, BUT HE GIVES YOU NOTHING BACK.

you know, junk food if it was a person, would be the douche-bag who says all the sweet things to get with you, but is never there for you when you need him, and is probably getting down with your skanky neighbour. you gotta kick the playa to the curb.

:P
    hahaha!!! that last paragraph is hilarious!!! hehehe.. lol your funny.. so true junk food says all the right things but when you think about it its actually betraying you in the end! haha good one.... awwww kinda sad to... Y junk food y do you make me feel unhealthy and fat!! ahhh I wish life was a fairytale land...
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Were addicted???? I still am! I still eat the same stuff as before, but have eased off a bit on some things. I still have all the junk food but only on the weekend. I still have nightly junk snacks, thoughI try very hard to stick to serving sizes that are within my calorie limit.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Are brains are wired to want the foods we shouldn't have. In fact that is the exact reason we crave sugar. So for craving fast food and sodium for that matter is completely normal. I too have this problem. Sometimes as digusting as it sounds, I would prefer fast food over home cooked meals. I'm taking a Nutrition class right now and it seriosly will scare you out of eating like crap. I still eat horrible but I am much more aware of the mechanical and chemical reactions going on my body and it's creepy. I just have to have the will power to not want those things which is hard because I work in the community and am subjected to eating lunch at fast food places. I bring my own lunch most of the time but smelling it's goodness is extra hard. Good luck girl!! We can do it!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The only thing I have ever been addicted to was nicotine. I gained weight simply from not paying attention or caring about what I ate. Now I still eat things that I like, I am just more aware of nutrients (of which Chinese food has plenty) and keeping to my target calories.

There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome. So it basically comes down to what you *choose* to eat. It's your body, your goals. If you want Chinese food, then eat it, or don't. It's your decision to make.

chinese food isn't junk food, but a lot of it is oil laden and unhealthy in western countries because thats the way people like it.

Yes, anyone can "believe" that they "need" to perform a specific activity. That's a psychological problem, not a physical one. i just get annoyed when people claim to have addiction to certain foods. For folks that have suffered with real addiction, it can even be considered offensive. There is a HUGE difference between not *wanting* to put down the Twinkie and having actual physical symptoms of the body withdrawing from a substance. I just like to point that out. I have a brother-in-law who is a crack addict, so it is UBER annoying to me when people equate sugar (and other things) with crack. I have also dealt with addicts in various aspects. Someone who can't bring themselves to moderate their eating/video-game-playing/sex/(insert vice here) has issues to be sure. But there is a huge difference between making a decision to change your life and going through a physical withdrawal. A true addict has real physical symptoms on TOP of going through the mental/emotional aspects.

But yeah, even "Americanized" Chinese food has some excellent options that are nutrient dense. Some options (crab rangoon comes to mind) have fewer nutrients for its caloric value, but people shouldn't make claims that simply aren't true. Any food can be part of an overall healthy diet, just as any food can potentially cause health problems when eaten in excess.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Are brains are wired to want the foods we shouldn't have. In fact that is the exact reason we crave sugar. So for craving fast food and sodium for that matter is completely normal. I too have this problem. Sometimes as digusting as it sounds, I would prefer fast food over home cooked meals. I'm taking a Nutrition class right now and it seriosly will scare you out of eating like crap. I still eat horrible but I am much more aware of the mechanical and chemical reactions going on my body and it's creepy. I just have to have the will power to not want those things which is hard because I work in the community and am subjected to eating lunch at fast food places. I bring my own lunch most of the time but smelling it's goodness is extra hard. Good luck girl!! We can do it!

I agree that our brains are "wired" to eat carbohydrates. Our bodies require glucose for proper functioning. The problem comes in when we simply eat whatever we want, in whatever quantities, and not listening to the other half of the brain that is telling us, "Ok, that's enough for now!"
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    Her Chinese food could easily be fried with a high calorie sauce, so yes, that is junk food.

OP - you seem like such a nice person and I can tell you're really struggling. I don't have much to contribute except to say that you've gotten some pretty good advice on this topic so far. Drinking more water will help keep you full and will aid overall in general health.

Just try cutting back a bit for starters and do a little more every day or every week. Don't be harsh on yourself if you backslide. Learn from it, and keep going. I know you can beat this junk food addiction!
    awww well thank you!. and yes my chinese food does consist in alot of fried, greasy, and saucy stuff haha.. I have been drinking water and cutting down slowly :)
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options

Yes, anyone can "believe" that they "need" to perform a specific activity. That's a psychological problem, not a physical one. i just get annoyed when people claim to have addiction to certain foods. For folks that have suffered with real addiction, it can even be considered offensive. There is a HUGE difference between not *wanting* to put down the Twinkie and having actual physical symptoms of the body withdrawing from a substance. I just like to point that out. I have a brother-in-law who is a crack addict, so it is UBER annoying to me when people equate sugar (and other things) with crack. I have also dealt with addicts in various aspects. Someone who can't bring themselves to moderate their eating/video-game-playing/sex/(insert vice here) has issues to be sure. But there is a huge difference between making a decision to change your life and going through a physical withdrawal. A true addict has real physical symptoms on TOP of going through the mental/emotional aspects.

But yeah, even "Americanized" Chinese food has some excellent options that are nutrient dense. Some options (crab rangoon comes to mind) have fewer nutrients for its caloric value, but people shouldn't make claims that simply aren't true. Any food can be part of an overall healthy diet, just as any food can potentially cause health problems when eaten in excess.
    I believe the type of chinese food that I get is JUNK food because I am eating greasy high calorie foods.. as I think pizza is also junk food because the type I like to eat.... everyone has there own opinions on junk food and i believe that junk food is anything I crave that is greasy and flavorful with high calories and that COSTS money..... so i believe it is junk food... yes there are healthy choices in chinese dishes but none that turn me on or nothing I crave .. haha... anyways... thank u all 4 ur feedback....
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i didn't read the other posts but maybe you could give yourself some rewards with the money you save from fast food? you could book yourself a cooking lesson/demonstration? do like people do when they're giving up smoking and put all the money into a jar daily, as you would have spent it and watch it piling up!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    There is no food that has a withdrawal syndrome.

Physiologically, that's up for debate. But it completely ignores the psychological attachment, which can be just as difficult and painful to break.

The only food that could potentially have a withdrawal syndrome associated are caffeinated foods. And this is pretty much limited to beverages.