Lives with family and subjected to their bad eating choices.

I have'nt been on for some time because I just don't know what to do.
I am uneployed at the moment and live with my brother and his wife and there is def. no proper meals here and since I have lived with them I have put on weight to where I can no longer fit in my pants that i wore 10 months ago.
I live in a house where there is no proper shopping. It is a household that eats pizza at least 3 to 4 times a week fried chciken and cnicken strips every few weeks. We never have any veggies when we eat any thing other then meat.
I know some is age related and hormones but really would that pack on this much weight.
I am in the house all the time and have decided to start walking again just to get some excercise in.
I just dont know how to hamdle the food that comes in the house.
It is a house that eats a lot of pizza and a lot of hot dogs and I know how bad hot dogs are that I dont even want to eat thern any more.
All I know is I have never weighed as much as I do now and I hate the fact that I allowed it to happen.
I can say my sister in law is severly over weight as well as 2 of her children and when I see my sister in law I dont want to be as big as her and if I dont do something I will be 300 lbs and I dont want that.
Any advice on how to try to eat better under my circumastances.

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    I don't know the family dynamics, but perhaps you could offer to cook a couple nights a week and choose healthier choices. Other than that, you'll need to exercise portion control and exercise as much as possible. Hopefully, your situation will change soon.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Who buys the groceries? Have you tried sitting down and talking with your brother and his wife about your weight loss goals? I'm sure they would be willing to stand behind you in your decision and adjust accordingly. If that isn't an option, you can still eat those things and lose weight. The trick is fitting them into your daily goal.
  • I would be willing to cook if proper shopping would be done. But you cant cook if all you bring home is hot dogs and brats. and porcessed frozen foods.
    There is no visiting the produce aisle or the meat case it is all frozen and hot dogs.
    Yes i will just need to watch the pizza and work up to walking further as time goes on I refuse to get any bigger.
    Thank you.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Great suggestion about offering to help out with the cooking. Also, manage your portion sizes and keep up your exercise.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Are you eligible for Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program/ food stamps? Are you able to get some food from local food pantries?

SNAP might give you a bit of money to purchase some healthier foods-- frozen or canned veggies, dried beans, peanut butter, oatmeal, anything that can get you some healthier food in your body a few meals a week.

Our local food panties give out canned veggies, rice, dried beans, etc. to people in need. Cooking that sounds much more appealing to me than pizza or fried chicken a few nights a week.

Can you request healthier food be purchased? If you are able to, can you go to the store and buy (with SNAP) and buy healthier foods?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    eat it but in moderation and within your calories for the day if at all possible. Go for walks as much as possible as well and that will help a bit. Drink only water. I'm sure they have running water in the house so that would also help. I can only imagine how bad it is when you don't have any money and you rely on someone else. Since they pay for things I'm betting you feel you can't offer up any opinions or suggestions. Some how you need to figure out how to ask them to get something healthy in the house. Ask maybe for veggies or offer to cook a couple of nights a week. Explain to them how much money it would save if you cooked rather than ordered out all the time. That might get through to them.
  • She is the shopper. I feel more comforatble talikng to my brother so when he comes home I will talk to him and see how it goes.
  • Maybe they are having pizza and quick meals because they don't have time or want to take the effort to cook? Perhaps, you could step in and help with the grocery shopping and cooking?! Keep up the exercising!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Are you eligible for Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program/ food stamps? Are you able to get some food from local food pantries?

SNAP might give you a bit of money to purchase some healthier foods-- frozen or canned veggies, dried beans, peanut butter, oatmeal, anything that can get you some healthier food in your body a few meals a week.

Our local food panties give out canned veggies, rice, dried beans, etc. to people in need. Cooking that sounds much more appealing to me than pizza or fried chicken a few nights a week.

Can you request healthier food be purchased? If you are able to, can you go to the store and buy (with SNAP) and buy healthier foods?

I really like this idea. Have you looked into receiving some type of assistance, OP?
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Are you able to contribute anything financially to where you're living? (Either rent, groceries, utilities?) If you're unemployed, are you getting a check from govt?

I'm only asking because we don't know the financial situation of the people you're living with. If they are comfortable/well-off and you staying with them isn't a burden-then I would suggest you talk with them about the food. Come up with a weekly meal plan and offer go shopping and/or cook for them.

If they are strapped for cash, then maybe this is the kind of food they buy. It's cheap and easy. It's not healthy by any meals but when you have other bills to pay-you gotta make those choices.

Either way, just talk with them. See what the issue is and offer to help.

Good luck!
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member

My thoughts exactly. Or if your not eligible for food stamps being that your unemployed try going shopping with her and seeing if she would be open to buying a few healthier options. Maybe point out to her since moving in which you thank them for, it hasn't been good to your health due to the food you have been eating and have put on some weight...it more open her eyes to how poorly they eat.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    I think if you offer to make meals in gratitude for them taking you in that they would probably love the idea. It sounds like they go for the convenience of pizza & chicken so they are probably really busy. Maybe even offer to shop for them, and ask if you can get a few ingredients to prepare a meal for the family.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    If you can't afford to sort out your own food then I think the key would be to eat what they are eating, but stay in control of your portions and do a reasonable amount of exercise. It still won't be the healthiest, because of the types of food you are eating, but may help keep your weight under control until you get to do things your way again.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Can you get a part-time job at a convenience store? That would get you out of the house and moving around. Also, you would have access to the deli counter where you could have one or two meals that you have prepared yourself. Just stay away from the snack isles :)

I am close to losing my job and nothing else has come up, yet. I have talked with my brother about moving in with them. They know I love to cook and would be happy if I took over that chore.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    I suggest offer to go shopping with your sister in law. Of course discuss with your brother, but realize she will not like being excluded in that kind of discussion since it ultimately will affect her shopping/meal choices for the family.

I know that buying healthy is truly a challenge since it does seem to cost more.. however buying frozen veggies and meats is more cost effective. Certainly offer to cook a few family meals and work with your sister in law on what she thinks the whole family would like beyond the deep fried and processed meats. :-)

There has to be a way to approach your sister in law in constructive fashion. Heck .. tell her you have a goal to lose 5 lbs by the first week of December .. and then tack on another 5 lbs after you reach that goal. Ask her for her support. Surely you'll get it from your brother .. but try hard to keep her as part of the conversation. Nothing worse than trying to keep it "in the blood family" and the spouses have to hear it second hand... :flowerforyou:

Definitely check into unemployment benefits/SNAP/food stamp options. Maybe some medi-care health program that encourages healthy eating ..