Give yourself Credit

Options
I have seen this on here time after time....
People who struggle with their weight tend to be hard on themselves. The moment they stray, they become self-critical. Instead of viewing slips as mistakes and thinking how they can solve the problem the next time it arises. They tell themselves that they're weak, hopeless, or even bad. Doing this breaks your spirit and leaves a bad thought in your head or heart. It's better to give yourself credit for everything you do right. Build an awareness that you're strong and in control. Have game plans in place to either keep yourself from straying or have a plan in place when it does happen to get yourself back on track.
If I happen to overeat on a meal, there is nothing I can do about that meal so I get back on track with my next meal and just learn from my mistakes. I will take a mental note as to what happened to make me overeat, how I felt and what I did to get back on track. Noone is perfect and it's to easy to get off track for a day, a week, a month or even a year. It should only be a meal...two if you are way off track. Give this a thought and a try, you'll be happy with the results. I wish you luck and if you want a friend that will be there for you please feel free to add me.

Replies

• tracy_phillips2002
    Options
    That is awesome. People tend to let a few bad days cause them to give up. Its so much easier to pick up, dust your self off, give your self a peep talk and go on than it is to start over after months are years of bad days.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and that is a perfect attitude. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to have more forward days then not. But we do tend to be hard on ourselves, it's a battle I fight even still. I'm a constant work in progress, and will be to the end I'm sure, always something to improve, never perfect, some things need to be accepted, etc.

Keep up the good attitude. :)
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I used to be the same and to a smaller degree I still am. Now if I have a bad day, I label it as something I needed to get out of my system and the carry on. I think the best thing is to do that, everyone makes mistakes after all. Overeating one day is just a mistake that can easily be corrected.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm obese and exercise for months and months and I'm still obese
    cry cry
    That one drives me insane and I hear it daily. Do you know how many 'obese' people I've seen with abs? Do you know how much farther you can run or how much more you can lift then a skinny sedentary person? Doesn't that account for anything? Do you know how much skinnier you are and how much better you look compared to your sedentary counterpart who weighs less then you because you have more LBM? You are completely rocking it. Stop being so hard on yourself!

If you're not living a sedentary lifestyle, don't judge yourself on a scale who is meant for sedentary people! Because you're not one of them! It doesn't make sense! Arg! :tongue:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great post and so true. I've been eating disordered in the past (both compulsive overeating and anorexia, at different times obviously haha) and one of my main goals this time around was to not fall into those traps. I see hints of it coming back every single time I go over my allotted calories, even if I was under the day before and the two days are really a wash. That thinking comes back, that I'm fat and I'll always be fat, and somehow I've ruined my forward progress. Then I have to get my mind back on track so that I don't quit eating for the day and come in ridiculously low or say 'screw it all' and just stuff my face. I know it's stupid, even as the thoughts are racing through my head. Fortunately, in 100 days on MFP, I've done neither. I've just picked right up and kept going.

Thanks for posting.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I love this attitude. :)

Keep it up.
  • brookef81
    brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.....I needed to read this!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Sent this to a friend that needed to hear it.