So which one of these are true?

Options
* could be triggering, sorry *

I have EDNOS - basically I either eat and throw up or I don't eat. The question I always asked myself was - How many calories are absorbed after purging the food? Some people say it's 50-90% which CAN'T be true. Quite a time ago, I went from 44 to 40 in a couple of weeks by throwing up food. I did not feel good, but some of it didn't make sense and it worried me. Now what I kind of believe in and what I've studied in 11th grade is that the food is absorbed in the small intestine and it takes time for food to reach that. Some say you absorb a third of your food but if that'd be true I would be obese. People take bulimics as an example of ''well they're fat/normal so they absorb all the calories'' but to be bulimic you MUST BE NOT SKINNY. if you're underweight, you don't qualify for bulimia, they'll put you as anorexic.
Also, this is what I've found:

Medical student here. Calorie absorption does not begin AT ALL until the small intestine. Read a proper meta-analysis of that "50% of calories study" and you will see how faulty it was. The reason why you gain weight isn't because you immediately start absorbing calories - it's either because you think you've finished purging when you haven't, or you're retaining water significantly. Binging/purging will obviously not help with weight loss, but the only reason why you will gain weight is ineffective purging/water retention. This "calorie absorption begins in the mouth" crap is absolute bull****.

I know it's very bad for me (lost 2 tooth and have little holes in my teeth. ****.) but I get panic attacks when I think that I've absorbed 60% of my calories. Can someone agree or disagree with me, or tell your opinion on calorie absorbtion? Thank you.

Replies

• Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump):
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about this, but I have to ask, are you in treatment for your ED? You'll find that the MFP community is pretty supportive of those with an ED that are working towards a healthy relationship with food and are trying to overcome their disorder. However, this site generally doesn't support disordered members that are using it to continue their disorder. I wish the best for you.
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    I am not in recovery, although I do want to recover. I need time to make this decision - ED is my life. Sounds weird but you will not understand it unless you have one.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I get that. Best of luck.
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Honey, it's good that you want to recover, but please don't post things that might be triggers for those who are in recovery.

As for your question, I don't know.I hope you beat this thing, though.
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    I posted a trigger though..
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    seriously????? you're using this forum for advise on this topic....you need to seek help...please consider it
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I posted a trigger though..

Exactly. Please don't do that again.
  • Raine273
    Raine273 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have an ED and honestly I really do feel for you, I know how horrible it is. However you need to seek professional help.
    This site is designed for people who want to lose weight and maintain their fitness in a healthy and safe manner.
    I don't think you will find too many people who will help you with your question as none of us want to encourage or enable you to do something that is putting your health in danger.
    You are also triggering those in recovery, and that's not really fair. Yes you put up a warning but I don't think that will stop people from reading your post.
    Please please please seek some professional help,it's out there and it works. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.