too cold out for my normal exercise routine, suggestions?

Options
I lost a lot of my weight by walking the trail. I don't have a treadmill so I'm finding it hard to work out as much. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Momo2929
    Momo2929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have Nintendo the Wii fit program is a great tool to use for weight loss. Me and my husband use it all the time to compete against each other. Lots of fun and laughter.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    You can get a good burn on just turning up some music and dancing around. I do this with my daughter and mix in some jogging in place and 5 pound weights, and its a great workout for me! Fun too, to get a little silly lol :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    start running.... you warm up pretty quickly even when it's cold out. or if you don't want to run distance, do intervals...... run for a minute, walk for two.... your heart rate getting up will warm you up.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    start running.... you warm up pretty quickly even when it's cold out. or if you don't want to run distance, do intervals...... run for a minute, walk for two.... your heart rate getting up will warm you up.

This.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Invest in some winter clothes, and get out there.

I run outside all the time when it's 30 degrees out.. and as long as you have the proper garments, you don't even feel it!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    buy warmer clothes and get outside! layer up. i hate not being able to get out and walk. only the rain stops me usually.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can always join a gym. I suggest one that will allow month to month payment as opposed
    to signing a contract so that you will have the option to cancel without any strings attached
    once the weather warms up again.
  • bastgoddess7
    bastgoddess7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. :)
  • bastgoddess7
    bastgoddess7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you have Nintendo the Wii fit program is a great tool to use for weight loss. Me and my husband use it all the time to compete against each other. Lots of fun and laughter.

^^^THIS IS SOOOOOOO FUN
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I hike/run outdoors even when it's in the teens and single digits.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices. :bigsmile:
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can always join a gym. I suggest one that will allow month to month payment as opposed
    to signing a contract so that you will have the option to cancel without any strings attached
    once the weather warms up again.

This is what I just did as I was in the same boat. All of my activity is outdoor activity, and with the winter coming I knew I couldn't keep it up. I broke down and joined a gym today. I will be able to "freeze" my account once the weather warms up and then activate it again when it gets cold again. I understand that's still a lot of money, even month to month sometimes. My backup plan was to do DVDs at home and Yoga at a local studio. You'll find something that works for you! Main thing is DO SOMETHING! :) Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I say bundle up and keep walking the trail. You could get some workout videos and do them at home (think P90X or some Jillian Michaels ones) or join a gym.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Zumba!
    But then again, that's my answer to a lot of questions.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I live in Anchorage Alaska and it was 29degrees this morning and I gym it or walk the dog.....
  • kris_smilesalot
    Options
    You can find some great work outs of all types on Youtube including Jillian's 30 Day Shred workouts, and Zumba and many many more. Even belly dancing. It's like a smorgusborg of workouts to switch things up. And it's all free!
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A headband or those ear covers for your ears, and maybe some lightweight gloves which you will invariably take off as you warm up. I started exercising when I was a teenager in icy weather. Here are some sites that talk about winter workout clothes and stuff:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/287172-what-to-wear-for-a-winter-workout/
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=75

You probably don't need all the fancy shmancy workout clothes seen on those sites, unless you're trying out for a new season of Real Housewives of Aspen or Oslo or Helsinki or some other cold place... but like I said, cover your ears and maybe get some of those $1 knit one size fits all knit gloves.

Don't let the weather (or anything) stop you from doing what you need to do. Have fun :)
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I love all of your suggestions. I want to start running/jogging. I have lost 80 pounds and feel ready to do so. I am going to look for workout clothes next weekend. :))