Okay, Greek yogurt lovers - what's the catch?!

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You can doctor the plain stuff up with splenda for sweetness and things like instant coffee, or my favorites, crystalized lime juice. Keeps you at the 100 calories. Tastes great.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your intake of sugar and protein. Chobani has the most protein but a lot of the Greek yogurts have a good amount of sugar as well. I wanted the protein but can't handle the sugar (and definitely cannot eat artificial sweeteners). So, I opted for a low sugar whey protein shake (in chocolate) to get what I need... although, I'd love it if Greek yogurt was on my "yes" list.

I'm low sugar too.

Fage has 9.9g of protein and only 3.8g of sugar (from lactose.) Personally, I think the full fat version is much tastier than the 2% and definitely tastier than the 0%, but I understand some people are low fat. I like to add a 1/4 cup of fruit or granola and often find that's sweet enough.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I freeze my Dannon Greek Blueberry. Its very good out of the freezer :)
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    some ppl add honey etc, but honey has a load of sugar in it too...natural or not.

A tsp of honey is around 7g of sugar. I use brown rice syrup which is about 5g. 8.8-10.8g of sugar is still substantially less than the 18g already added to flavoured yoghurts. As someone pointed out earlier, 18g of sugar is a candy bar. Why not just budget for the cheesecake and enjoy it?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I am a little weird when it comes to yogurt. The ones with fruit stuff are too sweet and the plain is too tart. So....I mix them together. I buy the large tub of a "light" regular yogurt (vanilla) and a large tub of plain greek, dump them in a large bowl and whisk them together. I put them back in the tubs and put them in the fridge. I toss in a hand full of fresh fruit or sliced almonds in a bowl and a couple tablespoons of plain granola on top.... nom nom nom. I am not that particular on what brands, but the greek has got to be 2% or better. The 0% just has a nasty texture no matter what you do to it.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is higher in protein and lower in fat, just all around better for you. I do not EVER buy the fruit filled ones-although they taste amazing-there is a LOT of added sugar in it so instead I just buy the plain (usually Oikos) greek yogurt and add my own fruit, or sometimes a little agave nectar.

ALSO- I add Sriracha to it and it tastes like an aioli-I use it as a spread for sandwiches or as a dip for veggies. It is DELICIOUS and healthy! Even adding some herbs to it makes it taste like ranch dressing as well. It is a good alternative to cream or mayo.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt and make it myself alot. It is just strained yogurt (straining the whey and sugars) out. Anyway, Chobain plain taste alittle more tangy and like sour cream and fage is more mild. I always buy it plain and then add to it. Most of the time when I've bought flavored yogurt, it is loaded with sugar and fruit. So I just buy plain and add fruit and a bit of honey and it's yummy. You can also strain greek yogurt (as long as it doesn't have gelatin in it) and make yogurt cheese which is similar texture to cream cheese.
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Greek Liberté yogourt - 0% fat....I enjoy it now...adding slices of peaches or prunes... had lot of protein...
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    What has Greek yogurt got then that others haven't?

It has a lot more protein.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would say if you like 1% milk, then I would get 1% greek yogurt because it is made from the 1% milk. Same on the others too. I make my own from milk and it depends on how long you let it process as to the tanginess. The longer it processes the tangier it is.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    OK your mistake in trying chobani was the plain. You can use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream on savory spicy dishes.... But you wouldn't want to eat it plain.... you can use the plain just to eat but you've got to add sweetener and fruit or honey or something..... otherwise, the fruity chobani flavors are all pretty good. It's an acquired taste, but the benefits are huge so it's worth making the change. The protein boost alone is totally worth it.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would just try to check the sugar. I found that Stoneyfield Oikos isn't too high in sugar when compared to some of the other flavored brands out there. Or just buy the plain kind and add sugar free or Smucker's Simply Fruit jelly to it (or real fruit).

I add fruit to my Fage or Whole Foods 365 fruit spread. Just eat what you enjoy that fits into your calorie range. I love Chobani PINEAPPLE and the Mango ;-) Those are the only 2 flavors I buy in that brand LOL
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    some ppl add honey etc, but honey has a load of sugar in it too...natural or not.

A tsp of honey is around 7g of sugar. I use brown rice syrup which is about 5g. 8.8-10.8g of sugar is still substantially less than the 18g already added to flavoured yoghurts. As someone pointed out earlier, 18g of sugar is a candy bar. Why not just budget for the cheesecake and enjoy it?
    Wow! I didn't think about that much sugar. I love the Fage, with a bit of honey or granola on top, or frozen berries. Greek yogurt is my dessert!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i tried with all my might to love unflavored nonfat greek yogurt and failed. i now add stevia and LOVE it. :) find what works for you. some add vanilla extract, cinnamon, fruit, oats...
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Dannon greek cherry is my fave.....
  • alythe
    alythe Posts: 22
    Options
    As a Greek girl who grew up eating what we just called yogurt... The brand for me that comes closest to actual Greek yogurt is Fage. I like the 2% for eating with fruit or granola or whatever but I never sweeten it otherwise. I think Chobani is kind of a nightmare in whatever form for plain eating and I find the fruit varieties too sugary, but the plain is a fine sub for sour cream.

That said, on the rare occasions I have yogurt as a dessert, the Oikos/Dannon brand makes a key lime pie flavor that I'd knock over a toddler for.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I tried lots of different brands and didn't think I'd ever learn to like Greek yogurt. I don't care for the Chobani or Fage brands...not even the fruit flavored ones. I like the Dannon Oikos non-fat plain with PB2 and apple butter. I also like the Dannon Oikos traditional non-fat with strawberries on the bottom. I don't like the sugar content, but it's the only way I can eat it. I need to try some plain Oikos with sugar free preserves or frozen strawberries added in. I tried the Yoplait 100 calorie Greek yogurt and thought it was too runny though it is cheaper and less calories.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, all this yogurt talk... I gots to buy me some this week! Nom.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is higher in protein and lower in fat, just all around better for you. I do not EVER buy the fruit filled ones-although they taste amazing-there is a LOT of added sugar in it so instead I just buy the plain (usually Oikos) greek yogurt and add my own fruit, or sometimes a little agave nectar.

ALSO- I add Sriracha to it and it tastes like an aioli-I use it as a spread for sandwiches or as a dip for veggies. It is DELICIOUS and healthy! Even adding some herbs to it makes it taste like ranch dressing as well. It is a good alternative to cream or mayo.

OMG...I LOVE you! I've never even thought about this before!! I mean, I use the plain as a sour cream swap....but this is just awesome! Thank you!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It just takes a while to get used to the taste (because your taste buds are generally over stimulated by sugar) I love Greek Gods plain, so thick and creamy. Best with a bit of honey.

I absolutely cannot eat the 0% fat version of anything plain though. Tastes sour and bleh.

Plain full fat with honey reminds me of fresh ricotta with honey...better than ice cream. Oh god miss the italian foods store so much. ;_; So many imported delicacies.

I agree I love Greek gods brand!