Oh no! My little friend is back!

Options
My little "friend" called weight, is right back where i started, i could really use some motivation... All my friends in the real world are flippin skinny-minis and don't get how i keep gaining it back the minute i lose any :( if anyone out there is in my situation, please help... Any tips to avoid stuffing myself will be greatly apriciated! SOS! And fast!

Replies

• jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any secrets. It seems that some of us just struggle and some don't. I completly understand how you feel. I lost 30 pounds and have now regained all but 7. Yikes! Everytime I start, I really commit. But then, some little something happens that makes me think it's ok to eat too much and not exercise enough. I think the main trick is not to give up on yourself and not worry what the skinny minis think. Make friends on here. Really engage in the community. And...don't beat yourself up.
  • tishka11
    Options
    Firstly, dont get down on yourself for having gained back a few - it happens to everyone! often its just the bodies way of adjusting to new things, and the important thing is that you dont stop trying! Kind of like quitting smoking in a way - you cant necessarily expect it to all go smoothly the first time, but youll get there in the end!

If you looking for tips to control the urge to eat i have a few suggestions that have worked for me in the past:
    Eating things that are high in fibre and/or protein - helps to make you feel full for longer
    Drinking more water - not only great for the health of your body, but again can make you feel full for longer
    Drinking coffee - only things like a long black though where you dont have milk and thus are not adding any calories
    Drinking tea - green tea is especially good! it gives you that sweet hit and the antioxidants help increase your metabolism! (among other benefits)
    Use things like the natural sweetner stevia if you want a sweetness hit - it has very very few calories and is 2 times as sweet as sugar!
    Chewing sugar free gum - again, another thing to help with sweet cravings (if that is a struggle for you) - just dont have too many as it can cause stomach upsets
    Try monitoring your salt intake - this can cause the body to retain water which can make it seem like you have gained weight when it is really fluid - high salt diets are also quite bad for your health
    Before you finish all you meal, get up an walk around for a bit. When you sit down you think that you are still hungry but when you stand you may realise that you are actually already full. Having a glass of water in this time period can help too
    I have also had success with using some things that help with my workouts such as acetyle l carnitie and a fat metaboliser tablet, but check that these are ok for you personally before doing so

and most importantly - dont focus on weight! focus on how you feel about yourself, how you look and things like how your clothes fit...often you may be building muscle, not fat, and thus you are sitll more healthy and toned looking, even if the scales dont seem to say so!

Dont know if that helped but i hope so
  • tishka11
    Options
    I don't think there are any secrets. It seems that some of us just struggle and some don't. I completly understand how you feel. I lost 30 pounds and have now regained all but 7. Yikes! Everytime I start, I really commit. But then, some little something happens that makes me think it's ok to eat too much and not exercise enough. I think the main trick is not to give up on yourself and not worry what the skinny minis think. Make friends on here. Really engage in the community. And...don't beat yourself up.

I agree! dont worry about the 'skinny minis' theres always going to be somebody skinner than you, you just need to be confident within yourself!

Confidence is a lot more attractive than skinniness anyway!
  • Lexalina132
    Lexalina132 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Believe me when i say i don't mind them being skinnier than me, there'll always be people like that. What drives me freaking looney is that they sit there and cram a burger in their mouth and it never affects them DX and i sit there eating baby carrots like a rabbit and i gain like 10lbs. It drive me out of my good mind >.<
  • housenoob
    housenoob Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    well i think its great that your admitting it because your not in denial. just get out there. for me my excuse is always time. i always say to myself Oh i don't have enough time to go for a run or do anything active so the quote i always think of is; someone who is busier than you is running. it just proves that even if its only twenty minutes time shouldn't be an issue because you should take health as a top priority.
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - I've been yoyo-ing between 78kg and 83kg for over 6mths - I lose a couple then gain it straight back no matter what - doing my head in!
  • shagybear33
    Options
    oh do I ever feel your pain!!!

I just put on 10lbs myself and QUICK...can't lose 'em either. so dang frustrating.

hugs
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    My little "friend" called weight, is right back where i started, i could really use some motivation... All my friends in the real world are flippin skinny-minis and don't get how i keep gaining it back the minute i lose any :( if anyone out there is in my situation, please help... Any tips to avoid stuffing myself will be greatly apriciated! SOS! And fast!

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen your diary, so I am not sure what you eat, how many calories you consume, but all the tips for limiting cravings are great. However, I hope you eat more than baby carrots, because you can sabotage your diet by not eating enough! You need to know what your daily caloric need is for weight maintenance and stay about 300 - 500 kcal under that for weight loss. However, be careful, you should never go under 1200 kcal for the day multiple days in a row or your body will go into starvation mode, holding on to every calorie you eat to "survive". MFP will also warn you about that when you complete a day with less than 1200 food calories consumed.