How to stay healthy while working full time

Options
So because I work full time and my schedule is never consistent, I am starting to find it hard to stay motivated and eat healthy, after coming home after a long day of working. Is there any advice on how to stay motivated when coming home after a long day at work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Feel free to add as I am always looking for a great way to meet people and try to achieve success!

Replies

• dw117
    dw117 Posts: 4
    Options
    I too have that problem ,I generally bring something to snack on,for the ride home. I bring things like popcorn, apples, greek yogart,chese sticks or crackers
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    right when i get home is the worst time for me. i am tired and hungry and tend to snack if i am not careful. try to have a tray of veggies in the fridge to snack on while you prepare dinner. Drink a big glass of water when you get home too, or on the way home. I also try to pre-plan dinners for the week and get as much food prep done ahead of time (either the weekend or after dinner the night before when I am NOT hungry) so I can get food on the table sooner. if there are no kids and you don't get home too late, maybe try to get your workout in or at least a short walk to wind down when you get home?

Good luck!
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Keep your workout bag in your car. If i go home before the gym... not going back out.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So because I work full time and my schedule is never consistent, I am starting to find it hard to stay motivated and eat healthy, after coming home after a long day of working. Is there any advice on how to stay motivated when coming home after a long day at work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Feel free to add as I am always looking for a great way to meet people and try to achieve success!

Yup it's hard. I've been there and done that for years and years and years. I raised my kids while working a stressful job. I packed my food and ran at lunch time. I tried to make arrangements so I could stop at the gym on my way home. I did this for a long long time. I kept healthy foods at home. It can be done. It's a choice.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    sometimes home be really bad. I found during the day my eating is perfect but at home its a whole different story. Its not bad, just not as good as I would like. My boyfriend purchased a indoor grill recently and we use if for all the meat (which is good) and lately we have replaced side dishes with cucumber salad, tomato and onion salad, or simply frozen veggies which we cook on the stove. Its quick and I don't mind eating the same things during the week. The week end is a little different but I do try not to be as strict on saturday. My advice would be plan ahead of time---know exactly what you want to eat and have it ready in the fridge. Also, if you have to, double so you are cooking every other day instead of everyday
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals in advance. Use To-Do lists to make the most effective use of the time you have (at work and outside of work). Keep healthy snacks around. Exercise in the morning so you can't make an excuse to not do it at the end of the day. You'll also find you have more energy throughout the day if you do. Get enough sleep!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Plan meals ahead. And plan them to your goal calories, if it's an exercise day, then plan that as well. I find that when I plan my day out ahead then I stick to it or if I want to change things up then I stick to similar calories.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a big snack before leaving work so that I'm much less tempted to snack when I get home. Also you could try working out before work, during your lunch break or straight after work (before going home). I find that once I get home it's much harder to get motivated. Pack your lunch and snacks and take them to work. Always keep a big glass of water/water bottle with you at work. Only keep healthy food in the house for when you get home.

These are some of the strategies I use, I guess it just depends on what your work is like and your schedule.

Feel free to add me if you'd like
  • jodiwerda
    jodiwerda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I honestly go to the gym before I go home and I make dinners on Sunday's so when I come home I can just heat and eat. It is so much easier than trying to make dinner when I am starving!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Limit the number of times you have to cook to a few times a week and make plenty so you can have left overs. I usually cook two meals that I can alternate for lunch and dinner and then cook breakfast each day.
  • amfischer2
    amfischer2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do as well. I drink at least 16oz on my 20+ min drive home. I also have snacks left over from the day in my bag yet. And finally, I am a huge planner and couponer, so I have my meals planned out so I can just start them when I get home. I haste playing the game of "what do you want for supper" "I don't care, whatever you want". This drives me nuts!!! I work out int rmorning bcause it gets me going and I feel so muh better throughout the day.

Good luck! Look me up if you want to be friends. :)
  • amfischer2
    amfischer2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Where is the like button for this? :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    One day a week I cook a MASSIVE amount of food. Say 10 lbs of chicken or boneless pork chops, a big pot of veggie and chicken/beef soup, a lasagna, whatever. The first day you have it however you cooked it, the second day is burritos, the third day is salad with the protein on top, etc. Whatever will not be eaten in 3 days is put into single serving baggies and frozen. Toward the end of the week, I will pick one of the leftovers from the previous couple of weeks, thaw it out, chop some veggies or throw together a salad. A good, healthy, nutritious dinner is ready every day in less than 20 minutes.
  • leiaface
    leiaface Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i do my workouts in the morning first thing when i get up, otherwise i wont do it.

I am trying to drink lots of water because a lot of the time you are just thirsty and not really hungry, and it also keeps your mindful i how much you actually snack.

But if i do need to work out when i get off work because i too work full time and go to school part time i do it right when i get home and give myself something to look forward to. Like, i can't watch my favorite show i recorded, or eat dessert, or something "treat-like" like that until i've worked out. and the truth is, when im done working out i always feel better. :)
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. I make sure to pack my breakfast lunch and snacks for the day so I'm not tempted to eat anything unhealthy. I also know what I'm having for dinner before I even get home. My hubby works 6pm to 6am 7 on 7 off so my workout time always changes and depends on when my two year old goes to bed. You have to find away to make it work for you and stick to it. Good luck!!