College Support?

Options
Hey!

I'm trying to become more healthy and am looking for a support system! Are there any college girls that are looking to lose weight, maintain their weight, or just be more healthy? I've lost thirteen pounds so far but I still have a long way to go so I'd love to make friends and share tips and encouragement!

Thanks!

Lindsay

Replies

• cammie8694
    Options
    Hey! Yeah, I'm a freshman and I already gained those legendary 15 pounds so I'm with you there haha trying to lose that last 10-12 pounds right now, and boy, they're the hardest lemme tell you
  • fluteypie
    fluteypie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a freshman, I haven't actually gained any weight yet but I've lost a lot of my "firmness" that I used to have from working out! Now that I live on campus I'm not doing the cardio I used to do at my house, and I'm super busy as well. I'd like to start jogging (too intimidated to go to the gym) and eating healthier (it's hard when you have no money for food outside of the cafeteria) so yeah, I could definitely use some support from fellow college women!
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student looking for more MFP friends too! Feel free to add me. :)
  • MirandaLynne93
    Options
    Oh absolutely. I'm super proud to say that I never gained the freshman fifteen, or anything really, while being here at college. I am currently in my second year and so far this school yea I've lost about 7 pounds and hope to keep the trend going. I know things are tough in college what with not having as much food choices as one would at home and having a crazy busy schedule but you kinds figure out how to make things work. Plus a healthy body is quite conducive for a healthy brain :)
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Totally! I'm a junior and when I was a freshman I gained more like the "freshman 30." It was terrible. I don't live on campus anymore, but when I did I found it really hard to eat as well as I wanted because they just didn't offer much in the way of healthy food. However, living off campus it's gotten easier. However, you can make it work on campus! A great friend of mine is 70 pounds lighter AND lives on campus still. It just takes the dedication.
  • MirandaLynne93
    Options
    Tell me about girl. I just started the paleo diet and being at college I feel like I can't eat anything but chicken breast, salad, and fruit because everything else is either a grain, a dairy or has a dairy on it, or it's fried to holy hell! It's tough but I'm working through it. It's tough but it's doable. And as for the whole being too self conscious to go to the gym, you're kinda stuck in a catch-22 situation. Honestly my tip would be just to suck it up and go to the gym and do what you need to do. Bringing a work out buddy might help. I know last year I had a friend that I worked out with every day and it helped me to stick with it because if I didn't work out not only would I be letting myself down in the long run but I would letting down someone else too. Having a buddy is a great motivator plus it's good to surround yourself with people who want to to be healthy like you do; it helps you stay on track and keep sight of your goals.
  • rebz2945
    rebz2945 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a sophomore. Thankfully, I didn't gain the Freshman 15 (I think just because I commute so I'm eating at home 90% of the time) but I'm definitely looking to lose about 30 lbs and live a healthier lifestyle. Would be great to have some friends in the same or similar situations. =]
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a senior! So I did the freshman 15, but then I took it off. Just got too comfortable in that lifestyle.

Think a hard part with being a college student is trying to balacing your social and health lives. A lot of the time they don't intermingle. Or if you're like me and you're friends are all very good looking, and you have to make sure that you're on top of your game even more! Because they aren'y worrying how many calories are in that maragarita they're sipping.

Or just trying to find the time to work out!!!!

Plus the easiest food is normally the worst food =/

Anyone, feel free to add me!
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a freshman. I didn't gain the freshmen fifteen, but I have found that I've become rather sedentary. So much sitting in front of my desk, not enough moving around. Feel free to add me :]
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 2nd year of my masters but I'm always down to friend anyone who is in college! I stayed in pretty good shape in undergrad but lost it in my first year of my masters and gained close to 20lbs that I'm now working to get off. Anyone can feel free to add me, I'm always down to offer tips, tricks, support, and balance for your busy college life! I kept off the freshman 15 so if anyone wants any advice on that as well, let me know!
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a college senior and know all about dealing with weight and trying to lose it at college. I was doing really well last year and this summer but haven't been doing so hot this year as its gotten way crazy this semester and I'm munching and drinking a lot of pop and not exercising like i was. I've gone back up some, about 10 lbs, but i need to get back down. I'm in a wedding in May so this is just not going to work. You can add me and i'm going to start keeping track of calories and working out again.
  • determinedash
    determinedash Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am in graduate school and know the feeling all too well! Time gets in the way, healthy choices for food, time to even eat and when do you find time to work out? I think I've finally gotten it all down to an art (which is what I believe it all is - one big balancing act!). I'd love to find new support and friends! Feel free to add me! :)

Good luck to all!
  • CatyMae2
    Options
    I'm a freshman and, although I haven't gotten the "freshman 15" yet, I haven't been working out or eating very well. Really the only exercise I get is walking to and from classes! I have terrible habit of being too self-conscious to go to the gym, but then I feeling bed when I don't like how I look. I would love to have a support system to motivate me to try harder!
  • nayrairam
    Options
    hello! Thirteen pounds is really good! I've only lost 4. I am in college right now too. I have a couple of years left. Always looking for motivational friends with the same goals! Feel free to add!
  • lesliethescrivener
    Options
    i'm a senior in college and i've found drinking/bar & party foods/restaurants are so hard to accommodate when you're trying to be healthy in college. alcohol can pack on the pounds.

also, i'm a commuter so i didn't really have the dreaded "freshman 15" but there are so many awesome restaurants where i live so i have to face temptation 24/7.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a Junior. everyone feel free to add me!! :]

also, check out my blog
    caixgettingskinny.blogspot.com
  • aNutMeg519
    aNutMeg519 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a grad student #fifthyearsenior and I found out that I have gained 20 pounds since my junior year of high school.

Need to loose it!!!
  • yecatsmn
    yecatsmn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Over my college years (going on 7 years now) I have gained about 50 lbs. Now that I am basically done with grad school, I've been becoming more healthy. Lost about 17 lbs myself so far too. I know how terrible it can be while in school. Its exhausting being in school all day, and then studying when you are home. No time or willpower to work out and eat healthy. But we can get through it!
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds my freshman year and gained another 10 by the time a college friend recommended MFP to me. (I'm a senior now.) Definitely helps, also, there are a ton of people on campus who would be super psyched to do some workouts.... trust :P We have Insanityaholics here. They're even skinny!
  • mmariag
    mmariag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've always been struggling with weight, but in college I've been on a dieting roller coaster! I'm looking forward to being part of this support group. I'm determined to feel better and be a better me for my graduation coming this june! Feel free to add me. : )