forty three

Options
I just relized that being forty-three is hard on a womans body ,when it comes to weight.

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You definitely start feeling it in your joints when you reach your forties, I know. I started losing my wt. a little over a year ago and it has definitely helped the joints feel better and helped get my diabetes and cholesterol under control. Please feel free to add me for support and encouragement. You can do it!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I just relized that being forty-three is hard on a womans body ,when it comes to weight.

Yes it is. I've been over weight most of my adult life and had lots of health issues all during my 40's, but many of them are gone now or are reduced since I lost the 60 lbs at age 50. I've been maintaining now for over a year at almost 52. It can be done at any age.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. Nope, the bones are not big. LOL
  • dw117
    dw117 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for this love.This will be hard,but i will put all my strength into it.You are so right I don't count the calories as i should.Just three years ago I did not have to do this. I also need to shrink my portion size.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Yes it is. I've been over weight most of my adult life and had lots of health issues all during my 40's, but many of them are gone now or are reduced since I lost the 60 lbs at age 50. I've been maintaining now for over a year at almost 52. It can be done at any age.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. Nope, the bones are not big. LOL

Ur so right! We all have our own set of health and other issues that affect our weight and other areas of life. And, women do seem to have some added issues. Don't focus on what others "get to eat" or what they don't eat. We just have to focus on our goals. Yes, anyone can do it, but the older we get the higher the climb. So, like u said we better get a hold of it sooner than later.

And, U look awesome! Very inspirational!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i'm 44 and i'm losing weight more easily as i did at 39. It's all about you get out of something what you put into it. But i can say, it was my achy knees that finally brought me around to needing to do something... and i did NOT have that problem at 39!
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    so true. and the 40s bring a whole set of issues that i didn't have when i was in my 30s, even though i was a lot heavier then. it's more difficult, but not impossible. hang tough ~
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 46 but have always been a slow loser so not sure if I notice a difference in that. I do know that if I don't workout regularly I feel it...more stiff in the morning. I have to do something daily, even if its just walking on the treadmill.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It's universal throughout the sexes. I'm 43
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. You give me hope--I'm 54. You look great!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 46...and yes, our bodies do change in the 40's...metabolism wise...but ladies also "peak" in our 40's !!!:blushing:

To increase your metabolism back up, you need to do "weight" training with at least dumb bells...and you will NOT bulk up...but your increased metabolism with increase you weight loss!

Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me fas a friend for support!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. All my extra fat goes to my pouch on my tummy. Before, in my thirties and younger it would go to my thighs, my stomach has always been flat. But oh no! Not anymore,, complete shift!