Diet Coke......

Options
I've read in another thread there that some folks have cut out diet coke (well, any diet soda drink) from their diet.

I must admit I drink a lot of diet sodas, perhaps too much.

What is the science behind ditching diet coke, which essentially adds nothing to the calorie total?

Replies

• mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    Caffine does something to your system . It makes you crave carbohydrates. I cut diet soda out a couple of weeks ago and have been doing great. I drink only water and crystal light.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I believe they do have unnecessary sodium in them, and no chemically created sweetner is good for your overall health. That being said, I do occasionally have one but if you cut out soda and juice etc and pare it down to water, you will find that even diet soda is a bit too much. I admittedly will add some water to mine lol :D
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've noticed when I drink diet soda's I crave more food and sweets. I also have heard it bloats you. I guess the key is if you are dieting to lose weight or dieting to get healthy. That adage if you can't pronounce what is i it, you shouldn't consume it.
  • NinaMyers
    NinaMyers Posts: 37
    Options
    (googles crystal light..... lol - dont think we have this here???)

Yeah, I'm aware I drink too much and am going to make an effort to cut down and replace with water....

Might find this harder than cutting out the fatty food to be honest
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Any soda (diet or regular) inhibits your body's ability to absorb calcium, which could lead to osteoporosis, and have been linked to pancreatic cancer.

That being said..

Hi, my name is Kim, and I'm a coke addict. LOL. But seriously.. I'm trying to give it up for p90x but boy it's given me a serious case of the crankies lol.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think in most cases it's more of a retreat from unneeded chemicals than anything else. Diet coke has lots of unnatural stuff in it and many people don't like that. I take it or leave it since I don't drink that much anyway, but for some who drink it every day, there are as yet unknown possible side effects. Since it's not in the best interest of the soda companies to do long term testing, and it's extremely difficult and expensive to prove that one chemical will have specific results (it's almost impossible to have a test group that you can control everything they eat and drink over the long term) the soda companies don't do any testing. And for many of the same reasons, consumer watch dog groups can't do the testing. This all leads to lots and lots of speculation based on incomplete facts and assumptions. So while we can't know that any specific chemical in diet coke is the reason for any problem, many make that leap, and decide not to drink it, which is probably not a horrible idea, and is well within their right as a consumer and a responsible adult.

this does NOT however signify that there is any link between diet coke and/or any cancer causing chemicals, or weight loss inhibitors, or (besides caffeine) any addictive substances...etc. Any claims of this, as far as I know, are all based on speculation and incomplete analysis.
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    I have read the same thing about diet sodas causing you to crave sweets. I don't know how it effects fat burning, but I use pre workout supps that have caffeine in them and have had great results with them. I also drink a very large amount of water.
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    what about Club Soda? Anything potentially harmful there if you like the fizz and add lime/lemon?
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet pop for 5 days. Couldn't do it. I started drinking it again & actually started losing weight - odd.
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    I wouldn't touch the stuff! Poison!!

http://products.mercola.com/sweet-deception/
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    what about Club Soda? Anything potentially harmful there if you like the fizz and add lime/lemon?

I drink this all the time. Just watch out for the ones that have a lot of sodium.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are poison. They will make you feel hungry when you're not, and they can exagerate many neurilogical conditions. Bad, Bad, Bad.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The negative comments towards diet sodas are derived more from politics, ideology, urban folklore, and personal anecdotes than from science.

Which is not to say there is no science in this discussion, but it is swamped by the hyperbole of speculative personal testimonials.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I believe they do have unnecessary sodium in them, and no chemically created sweetner is good for your overall health. That being said, I do occasionally have one but if you cut out soda and juice etc and pare it down to water, you will find that even diet soda is a bit too much. I admittedly will add some water to mine lol :D

I wish people would get this out of their head. Diet Coke does NOT have high amounts of sodium in it. There's at the most 40mg in an entire can.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The negative comments towards diet sodas are derived more from politics, ideology, urban folklore, and personal anecdotes than from science.

Which is not to say there is no science in this discussion, but it is swamped by the hyperbole of speculative personal testimonials.

Ditttttooooooo!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Interesting view points because I love Diet Coke/Diet Mtn Dew
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Ive never really been a pop drinker, but when I do choose to drink a Pepsi or Coke, I get the regular one. Only because the fake sugars in the diet ones has a horrible horrible after taste to me, and because if I drink too much of something that has aspartame in it, I will get a killer headache.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Caffine does something to your system and stops you from burning fat. I cut diet soda out a couple of weeks ago and have been doing great. I drink only water and crystal light.

Caffeine stops you from burning fat??? I think you're a bit mistaken...caffeine increases your metabolism which in turn burns more calories.

I agree about limiting soda intake & increasing water consumption, everything in moderation!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options

I wish people would get this out of their head. Diet Coke does NOT have high amounts of sodium in it. There's at the most 40mg in an entire can.

TBH, I never bothered to look at the can because of the infrequency in which I imbibe... but that being said, I just compared both and diet has more sodium than regular. I don't really give a crap about sodium in my diet, but I do know people who are very sodium restricted and even the 50mg is more than they would care to waste on a liquid - sort of the same way that i don't drink my calories, they don't drink their sodium.
  • mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    (googles crystal light..... lol - dont think we have this here???)

Yeah, I'm aware I drink too much and am going to make an effort to cut down and replace with water....

Might find this harder than cutting out the fatty food to be honest

Crystal light is sooooo good!