Eureka Stair Climb

Options
This time last year I was sitting at home on my couch doing everything that I could to avoid exercise. Even climbing up the 16 stairs to come upstairs was not something I looked forward to.

At the beginning of January I started MFP and with the support of a great bunch of friends have lost over 100lbs (46kg). I am still a large person and have a long way to go but my fitness has improved!!

In two weeks time I am going to do the Eureka Stair Climb in Melbourne. We have to climb 88 floors = 1642 steps!!! Thankfully there is a lift ride to take us to the bottom again!!

I may need an oxygen tank at the end as I still struggle with my breathing capacity but I am going to give it my best shot. Even if I don't make it to the top I can at least say I gave it a bloody good shot and am still not sitting at home on that couch getting bigger than I was!!

Replies

• shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Judging by today you won't need oxygen, you did awesome doing the 1000 steps Kokoda trail TWICE in a row!!!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Wonderful achievements since January! Good luck on the stair climb. You can do it
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well shmunster and Emma, thanks to you two I am doing the eureka stair climb as well! Its also something I never would have dreamed of trying. And although I am not training as much as I would like, I cant wait for the big day!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash those stairs!

Off topic, I used to work on the 25th floor of a building In Melbourne a we had to evacuate the building via the stairs. The next day everyone in the office was nursing really sore legs!
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash those stairs!

Off topic, I used to work on the 25th floor of a building In Melbourne a we had to evacuate the building via the stairs. The next day everyone in the office was nursing really sore legs!

Surprisingly my legs always seem to cope OK. It is the breathing that I have trouble with.

Was pretty pleased today as went to 1000 Steps (which is actually about 760 steps plus walking tracks) and managed to do the climb twice. Did the first climb in about 30 minutes which is a BP time and the second climb in 35 minutes so I was super pleased with that. Only rested for about 2 minutes at the top and bottom before moving again.
  • emmalecras
    Options
    Well shmunster and Emma, thanks to you two I am doing the eureka stair climb as well! Its also something I never would have dreamed of trying. And although I am not training as much as I would like, I cant wait for the big day!!

What start time do you have? I think we are heading off in the 10.00am group. Hoping that we may be able to meet in person.
  • emmalecras
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that yesterday I was one of 2497 “idiots” who tackled the Eureka Climb which saw me climb 88 floors of Eureka Tower which involved 1642 steps.

I had set myself a goal of 1.25 hours but finished in 57 minutes and 15 seconds so was pretty pleased with that effort. Not the fastest climb (with a lot of people doing it in 15-25 minutes including my brilliant friends) but it was a climb that I conquered. Twelve months ago I would never have thought that I could have lost this weight and would have been looking for excuses not to get off the couch let alone tackle this!!

Thanks to everyone who donated to the cause as I raised $595.00 which meant that I was given the opportunity to go to the rooftop which meant challenging my fears a little bit more as I am terrified of heights and open scaffold type staircases. Tried to give the prize away to Bel but that plan failed.

Getting to the rooftop meant climbing another 3 floors of stairs before having to scale an open staircase onto the rooftop. Then it was over a scaffold bridge over pipes to a scaffold platform. Could not bring myself to let go of the scaffold railing and there was no way that I was going to look behind me!! Thanks to two members from the Country Fire Authority who ran up in full fire fighting gear who gave me the courage to get up the last staircase as I was tempted to quit when I saw the city open up as if there was nothing below us!

This is me at the top!!
    Scan-to-Mefrom1065971052012-11-19134115-0001.jpg

The Fab 4 at the top of Eureka Tower after the climb - myself, shmunster (Bel) and sal82 (Sal) with Bel's hubby Shaun at the back.
    CAM00040.jpg

Bel with Eureka Tower in the background!!
    CAM00042.jpg
  • emmalecras
    Options
    It seems to have cropped off the right hand side of the pictures!! Help!!
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! Congratulations!! That is an awesome achievement!!! You're awesome! :happy:
  • Harlequin16
    Harlequin16 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wow! thats awesome :) good job!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Dude you just rock! Congratulations on your success lady and I bid you many well wishes. You can totally do it!
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great! Good luck. You have done amazingly well so far to loose 46KG
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to you :) I hate stairs I'll always take the lift I can go to the gym, martial arts classes and be fine but climbing the stairs kills me even to do 10 (I think I do some weird holding breath thing). So big congrats and well done on your climb and also on the 100lb loss :)

Edited cos I didn't read the update :)
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    So so proud of you em!
  • emmalecras
    Options
    So so proud of you em!

and so proud of you for doing it in such a brilliant time as well!!!