Camping Food Suggestions

Options
kelfeene
kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
I am heading camping this weekend! I DO NOT WANT TO sit around the campfire munching on Doritos. I have already thought that I could slice up some cucumbers, grab a jar of LARGE pickles. I am watching carbs more, but also calories!

Any other suggestions for food while camping would be helpful....

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    baby carrots are good too, a little more carbs than cukes, but much more convenient =)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may want to limit the pickles to a couple, they are full of Sodium, which makes you retain water. Popcorn, nuts or seeds are good choices.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    Good suggestion! Easy and biteable!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    When camping, meals that can be prepared in one pot are awesome. Get yourself a dutch oven and make a hearty chili or jambalaya. If you're talking snacks, fruit and nuts are great for keeping the energy level up during hiking and similar activities!
  • kelfeene
    Options
    I did not know that about pickles! Last night, went to the movies, instead of eating the 10BAG of POPCORN that smells so amazing as you enter the theatre.... I ate 2 LARGE pickles! I thought I was doing better! Thanks for the tip.
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    Pickles are really yummy and low in calories, but a claussen pickle half is 900-1000 mg of sodum (nearly half the allotted intake!).
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...went to the movies, instead of eating the 10BAG of POPCORN that smells so amazing as you enter the theatre.... I ate 2 LARGE pickles! I thought I was doing better!...

Homemade popcorn is not bad, but movie theater popcorn is, so you did make the better choice!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you can't go wrong with fruit. apples, oranges, tangerines, and bananas are great because you don't have to package them to protect them. granola bars, rice chips, string cheese, nuts, seeds are good for energy and keeping you full. celery, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, and bell pepper are going to be your best low carb choice. however they have to be kept cold and clean, so that might make it more difficult.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    For the record, there is one thing I will be consuming plenty of... that is beer! WHile I am trying to eat healthier on this camping trip, camping and beer go hand in hand.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    Good ole pot of jumbalaya sounds good, so does chili!

String Cheese, celery, and bellpeppers added to the list!

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    We camp a lot in the summer - here are my staples!

Hormel Turkey Pepperoni
    Hormel Canadian Bacon small rounds
    Bell peppers - I cut 5 or 6 up in strips and have some FF Ranch w/ them
    Carrots
    Celery
    Turkey brats and hot dogs
    Ground turkey burgers cooked on the grill - wrapped in lettuce leaf instead of bun!
    String cheese
    Emerald Cocoa-roasted almonds - to die for! You can buy them at Sams in a bulk - or buy the 100-cal packs at Walmart
    Raisins
    Dried fruit
    Lots of Egg Beaters in cartons for b'fasts over the fire
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    trader joes roast beef and hash. not Perishable... Just like military food, just tear the package and fork it :)
  • kelfeene
    Options
    Turkey Bratts!!! Yummy!! Thanks for the suggestions!

I love turkey! Ground Turkey Patties !!! Yummy~

I AM DONE WITH EGGS FOR A WHILE!! I have eaten EGGS way to much on this diet! I need a break@!

Yall are so smart... Thanks for the suggestions!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    How about some jerky for snacks
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Two words: Hobo Stew (campfire required!)

1. Push a raw patty of ground hamburger/ turkey meat in the bottom of a small coffee can
    2. Top with chopped up veggies (onion, celery, carrot, potato...anything works), add spices if desired
    3. Pour in a small amount of Italian dressing (I've never tried the light ones, but it should work!)
    4. Securely cover can opening with thick aluminum foil, poke a few holes in foil lid
    5. Place can in coals of campfire for one hour (or so)
    6. Remove can from coals, uncover, let cool and enjoy!

This recipe is my favorite for camping!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you just camping, or are you hiking as well? If you are carrying your food on your back and going long distances, ESPECIALLY if you are hiking in high elevations, be sure to focus on bringing protein, carbs, and fat. The average hiker burns 3,000 - 8,000 calories a day with a 30 pound pack on their back! I also recommend having some sugary snacks on hand to prevent dehydration. (My husband once was hiking on an excursion with someone that was severely dehydrated, and even after he started drinking lots of water, it didn't get better. He needed sugar so that his body could utilize the water that he was drinking! I just bring a couple of jolly ranchers or something to have on hand, just in case I feel dehydrated.)
  • kelfeene
    Options
    Great suggestions....

The turkey and Coffee Can is BRILLIANT!!! However, I am plugging in my Griddle (ELECTRIC and Water with a tent)...

Hiking, I will be hiking, but round trippin' back to my campsite.... :)