Question: Do you wash your pre-washed greens?

Options
XFitMojoMom
XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
I'm wondering how many people do?? - I recently read that salad greens are 95% more likely to carry e.coli. I normally bu pre-washed greens, but now I'm thinking an extra washing/soaking will save me, errrrmmmm... some bathroom time!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wash them.
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i always always wash them. I live too near where all the greens for this country are grown. I see the conditions. lol i cant ever eat it without washing first.
  • CareBearRN
    CareBearRN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I don't buy pre-packaged salads because of that... And I just feel like there's so much bacteria that can grow being wrapped up tight in a plastic bag...
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I wash them too.
  • jonicole
    jonicole Posts: 2
    Options
    Always, Always, Always!

Especially, if I am feeding them to my pets or children! Their little bodies can only endure so much!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Yes! It only takes 10 seconds so I don't see why anyone wouldn't. Better safe than sorry!
  • Flakes
    Flakes Posts: 3
    Options
    Greens have little micro hair like structures on them that tend to trap dirt and contaminants, so I always wash thoroughly and then spin the water off.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Always! I usually buy loose leaf items in the bulk area...but spinich is almost always bagged, so I wash it twice and spin it dry.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    The only thing I buy packaged and prewashed is baby spinach. I don't wash it and I should.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    And how many restaurants do you know that opens up their bags of prewashed greens and washes them again? If anyone eats out they take chances every day. Have you seen the kitchens in restaurants?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    The only thing I buy packaged and prewashed is baby spinach. I don't wash it and I should.
    Same here. My mom frequently reminds me I should do it, but I guess I just like to live dangerously!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I never did - but now I buy lettuce in bulk which I always wash (obviously).
  • noseovertail
    Options
    And how many restaurants do you know that opens up their bags of prewashed greens and washes them again? If anyone eats out they take chances every day. Have you seen the kitchens in restaurants?

....okay? I'm pretty sure the OP and everyone else on this thread was referring to your own kitchen, at home.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I meant your own - but I do appreciate all the input.
    I never kept a salad spinner, but I guess this is the right time to get one!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I always washed mine up until recently. Our water is so highly chlorinated, I try to avoid using it in or on any of our food...though they're probably washed in chlorinated water before packaging.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Nope
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're washing prewashed greens to get rid of bacteria, it's pointless. The only way to get rid of the bacteria is to kill it with heat. Wash to get rid of dirt, now that works obviously
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I just want to clarify my last post. E.coli cannot be washed away, and in recent years this has been the bacteria of concern for leafy greens do to fecal matter from farms finding it's way into water runoff and contaminating the fields. many other bacteria an be washed off, if washed well, but it is hard to scrub lettuce. Packaged greens are often washed in chlorinated water, which though some stay away from chlorinated water, the chlorine may be what does the trick to kill the potenially life threatening bacteria. Any way, I feel that washing prewashed greens, unless the bag is open when you buy it, is an unnecissary step
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've wanted a salad-spinner for about 8 years now...I should probably just buy one. I wash mine. I recently saw something on the news that confirmed that you should. I did it once and the lettuce felt kind of slimy and since then and since having my daughter I'm extra diligent about things like that.
    Good question, thanks for posting it.