Doing Everything Right and not losing! Help?

Options
Hi Everyone, I am super confused as to why I'm not losing anything.

So, on October 1st I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. I've been eating only steel cut oats, natural peanut butter, bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, tilapia, chicken, beef (about once every week), pork chops, turkey, squash, frozen veggies, low fat deli meat, low fat mozzarella cheese, brown rice, and whole wheat bread. I cook with a little olive oil. With Body Revolution I work out 6 times a week for about 30-35 mins. On the days I just do the workout I eat around 1700-1800 calories. There are also three days a week that I work at a hotel doing housekeeping. These shifts are usually about 6 to 8 hours long and involve constant movement, lifting, pushing, bending, you name it with only one 20 min break. So, i've tried to calculate my calorie burn from that the best I could. On the days I work I eat around 2100-2300 depending on how hungry I am, which I'm usually really hungry. Also, on the days I just do the body revolution workout I might go for an extra hour long walk maybe once or twice throughout the week. I honestly ate and exercised this way for a full month, without cheating at all, eating anything I shouldn't, going over my calories, or slacking on any workouts. So, can someone tell me why I only lost about 2 pounds and about 3 inches after a months time? My BMR is around 1550, I am 5'3, and I still have about 15 lbs to lose before I am in the "healthy weight range".

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the progress I've made, feel a lot healthier and more energized, and can feel a little bit of difference in the way my clothes are fitting. I just was expecting a much bigger difference after this long and doing everything right. Any advice or tips are very welcome! Thank you!

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A month is really not all that long and for you to lose 3 inches, thats wonderful. It is hard mentally to back up a second and be realistic about what our bodies are doing. You are losing, have no fear. Just keep up the great work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you are losing... 2lbs and 3 inches... thats good...
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You are doing really well for being so close to a healthy weight. 2lbs and 3 in. is great!!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    That's about right.. 2lbs/month = .5lbs / week which is right on target for being so close to goal.
  • Imatd
    Imatd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should remember that because you have added a terrific exercise regimen, you are probably replacing some of the fat you are losing with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you will be more fit, toned, and have a better metabolic rate, but may not see your results in pounds on the scale. Let your measurements be your guide. 3 inches is outstanding! Keep up the good work!
  • lyssaloo
    lyssaloo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I do understand that 2 lbs and 3 in. is a good thing. I guess I am just more confused as to how the test group doing Body Revolution lost around 30-45 lbs in 3 months time. Therefore, I was thinking that's about 10 lbs a month for them so I should be losing quite a bit. I don't have as much to lose as some of them did, but I was expecting at least 5 lbs from myself by the end of a month. I will keep working at it and hope for the best. :) Thanks guys!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    the only advice I can add is to cut back on the Peanut butter..i find when I eat a lot of peanut butter my weight loss slows down...you are doing great though. keep up the good work!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    For just a month, I think two pounds and three inches is great! It took me 100 days to lose three pounds and two percent body fat! Remember, real weight loss (that stays off) is slow and steady. Don't believe the get thin quick commercials. They. Do. Not. Work! What you are doing is the only thing that truly works: eating well and exercising. Keep up that hard work and you will continue to see results. Rome was not built in a day, and neither is weight loss that lasts.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I do understand that 2 lbs and 3 in. is a good thing. I guess I am just more confused as to how the test group doing Body Revolution lost around 30-45 lbs in 3 months time. Therefore, I was thinking that's about 10 lbs a month for them so I should be losing quite a bit. I don't have as much to lose as some of them did, but I was expecting at least 5 lbs from myself by the end of a month. I will keep working at it and hope for the best. :) Thanks guys!

The test groups are usually a scam. Most of those groups have people who were EXTREMELY fit, gained a lot of weight for the purpose of being in the test group, then they had amazing results when they technically went back to their original life style. Also, keep in mind that any fitness commercial or test group does not always tell you all of the important details. For example, the diet that is associated with my fitness plans is meant to allow for healthier weight loss. Most of the test group will be going to extremes...such as consuming far less calories per day. This is one of the reasons that when people go off of these "diets" they end up gaining some or a lot of weight quickly. What you have lost, from your description, sounds extremely healthy and I hope you keep up the lifestyle change.
  • StephieClay
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks on MFP before I really lost anything, and then it's been slow and steady since then and I've lost 31lbs. You just need to stick with it and keep going. I think you're doing great based on what you've mentioned in your OP. Keep it up!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You should remember that because you have added a terrific exercise regimen, you are probably replacing some of the fat you are losing with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you will be more fit, toned, and have a better metabolic rate, but may not see your results in pounds on the scale. Let your measurements be your guide. 3 inches is outstanding! Keep up the good work!

You have to eat in surplus to build muscle. Women at the most can only build a few pounds of muscle a year without steroids.

More likely:

Muscles retain water to heal themselves when you start a new exercise program, this can make you feel like you're stalling on the scale even though you are losing inches. At this point being so close to your goal weight, half a pound a week is right on target. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    the test group doing Body Revolution lost around 30-45 lbs in 3 months time.

This sounds like bull$**t to me. If they really did lose that much, that's an unhealthy amount of weight for that short of a time period. It took me 10 months to lose 45 lbs -- and I was, like you, also doing "everything right."
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you have only 15 pounds to go, your weight loss is going to be smaller and slower. You should expect to lose half a pound a week, which is about right if you are reporting 2 pounds of week in a month.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options

BS alert. 45lbs in 3 months is an average of half a pound a day. This would equate to an extremely high deficit (1750 calories a day) over a sustained period. 0.5lbs a day is not healthy unless you've been advised by a doctor (which I think would only happen if you were morbidly obese and looking to lose hundreds of pounds).

You only have 25lbs to lose - aiming for 1lb a WEEK is a good goal for you. :) Maybe less! Don't get discouraged, you'll be just fine in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am super confused as to why I'm not losing anything.

So, on October 1st I started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. I've been eating only steel cut oats, natural peanut butter, bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, tilapia, chicken, beef (about once every week), pork chops, turkey, squash, frozen veggies, low fat deli meat, low fat mozzarella cheese, brown rice, and whole wheat bread. I cook with a little olive oil. With Body Revolution I work out 6 times a week for about 30-35 mins. On the days I just do the workout I eat around 1700-1800 calories. There are also three days a week that I work at a hotel doing housekeeping. These shifts are usually about 6 to 8 hours long and involve constant movement, lifting, pushing, bending, you name it with only one 20 min break. So, i've tried to calculate my calorie burn from that the best I could. On the days I work I eat around 2100-2300 depending on how hungry I am, which I'm usually really hungry. Also, on the days I just do the body revolution workout I might go for an extra hour long walk maybe once or twice throughout the week. I honestly ate and exercised this way for a full month, without cheating at all, eating anything I shouldn't, going over my calories, or slacking on any workouts. So, can someone tell me why I only lost about 2 pounds and about 3 inches after a months time? My BMR is around 1550, I am 5'3, and I still have about 15 lbs to lose before I am in the "healthy weight range".

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the progress I've made, feel a lot healthier and more energized, and can feel a little bit of difference in the way my clothes are fitting. I just was expecting a much bigger difference after this long and doing everything right. Any advice or tips are very welcome! Thank you!

I'm confused.. I have jillian michaels body revolution - although I haven't given it a good go yet - and she says the plan is 1200 calories a day on both the 7 day kickstart & the 90 day programme? So maybe you're not losing as much as expected with a regime this strict because you're eating 500+ more calories than she says too?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    1,200 calories is not enough for everyone.
  • lozzieemay
    Options

BS alert. 45lbs in 3 months is an average of half a pound a day. This would equate to an extremely high deficit (1750 calories a day) over a sustained period. 0.5lbs a day is not healthy unless you've been advised by a doctor (which I think would only happen if you were morbidly obese and looking to lose hundreds of pounds).

You only have 25lbs to lose - aiming for 1lb a WEEK is a good goal for you. :) Maybe less! Don't get discouraged, you'll be just fine in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.

It's not bs. The jillian michaels body revolution is a seriously strict plan which aims to get big results quickly.. 30-45lbs loss in 3 months is the average for most overweight/obese people who follow the plan 100%.. but it's not for the faint hearted. I myself couldn't stomach the strict food plan!
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    1,200 calories is not enough for everyone.

I'm not saying it is.. that's just how the body revolution plan is designed.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I wouldn't follow any plan that wanted me to eat only 1,200. I tried that, even without exercising, it was not enough. I was too weak and had massive headaches.