New here from Texas

Options
Hi! I have heard such great things about this place and community. I have been trying to get healthier, but haven't been very successful, so here I am. Let's do this!

A little about me - I'm a wife, a mom, and a photographer. I also homeschool, so you can imagine that my days are pretty much brimming with "to-dos". I know that is probably my biggest downfall, and I really have been actively working to achieve better balance in my life. I try to get to the gym, and I am now working my shooting schedule around my gym schedule. But going to the gym for the last year has not resulted in any weight loss for me. I've been doing BodyPump, step and yoga, and most of the year I was fairly disciplined about it. So, that has been disheartening. I feel that I am more toned, definitely. And I also know that since I have hit my 40s, losing weight may just be a bit tougher. Also, when I am not at the gym or shooting, I am sitting at a computer, retouching images. Not very active.

Plus, I really like to eat.

I would really love some motivation to get off my butt a few times a day and get moving. And to choose healthy foods and stay within my weight-loss calorie range.

Ok, thanks for reading, and for the great community here.

~Patricia

Replies

• Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hello Patricia and welcome!

I'm in Texas too - about to move from Wichita Falls to San Antonio.

I've been using MFP for about a year now, and I can tell you it's not just about weight loss, although it can help you do that. And I know what you mean about it being harder when you're in your 40's. I believe in everything in moderation, and moving your body every day. I do spin 3X a week, get on my treadmill 3X a week, and then something light, like a walk with the dog, on that last day. I usually work out early in the morning, before the rest of the world wakes up.

I love to eat too! I find a lot of good recipes on hungrygirl.com, skinnytaste.com, and prevention.com.

Feel free to add me as a friend!

Laurel
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Patricia! We are neighbors, of sorts;) I live in Louisiana. I am 49, and made the decision to change my lifestyle in August, and began on August 20. I found MFP three weeks later. It has been very helpful to me. I hope you find it helpful, as well!

I have always been a stay at home Mom. I had five children and homeschooled them for about 7 or 8 years. My last two "babies" , ages 12 and 14 are in school now. I can identify with some of the busyness! Also, the 40s factor...I found that once I reached my mid-40s weight piled on really easily, an dais much harder to take off (and even my doctor confirmed that as true recently).

I have a total of between 65-70 lbs to lose (but if my body would allow me, I would love to lose 10 more than that! I'm just going to wait and see what is possible). So far I have lost 25 & 1/2 lbs and am feeling so much better, both physically and emotionally. I am following South Beach Diet and walk for exercise, usually on the treadmill. I started out with a goal of walking 4-5x a week, but seeing the dedication of my new friends here on MFP encouraged me to up my walks to 6 days a week.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Wishing you all the best on your journey to health and fitness!!

Tracy
  • mistykay73
    mistykay73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome neighbor!!! :)
  • CRKnox6
    Options
    Cynthia, from Lubbock, TX here!! Welcome to the site! I want to say, in response to your comment about being disheartened due to not loosing, DON'T BE!! You said you are more toned and that is SOOO much more important than the number on the scale!! Composition change is AWESOME! Also, working out regularly means that you are doing something good for yourself anyway! KUDOS, LADY!! Keep up the good work!!
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not even close to being your neighbour, as I'm in Scotland!

Good luck in your fitness and weight loss...feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • Andie_loops
    Options
    Welcome Patricia! I'm a neighbour sorta, i'm in Dallas!

Good Luck on your journey! i'm pretty busy myself but i try to log in and make good choices i dnt always do it but i succeed 90% of the time. Keep going and dnt stop you'll get there, feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hi, Texas guy here! Joined last week! This site is great. Feel Free to ADD ME!

Anyone else from Tx can add me as well! Always looking for more friends ;)

I live right under San Antonio!
  • ShannaHeidelberg
    Options
    In my 40's from Midland, TX here! I have decided what keeps me doing the right thing is accountability to myself and this site allows me to do that. I have lost 18 lbs so far and have over 100 to go but this is the first time in my life I have actually lost ANY weight and I'm keeping it off so I'm gonna keep at it! Good luck to you!
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello there. Texas gal here also. I found MFP in Januaury 2011 and it helped me go from a 14 to a 6!! Only lost about 25 pounds but the rest was toning! Some life changes in the last year have made life interesting and I have gained a little back but still between 8-10!! Which for me is a miracle. Life changes in the past usually meant I was back to a 14 or above in no time!
    Trying to get my devotion back 100% without becoming totally crazed with it.
    Just a regular woman about to hit 50 and trying to stay active.
    Welcome!!
  • my_so_called_life
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I'm from Dallas, TX and I just started this site 5 days ago. So far I love it! It is helping me stay on track with my diet and the motivation from all my friends is amazing!

Welcome and good luck :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I want to say, in response to your comment about being disheartened due to not loosing, DON'T BE!! You said you are more toned and that is SOOO much more important than the number on the scale!! Composition change is AWESOME! Also, working out regularly means that you are doing something good for yourself anyway! KUDOS, LADY!! Keep up the good work!!
    This! Measurements, progress pictures, and how my clothes fit trump numberson the scale. The scale and mirror can both LIE! :wink:
    Glad to have you on my FL. :flowerforyou:
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in the Bryan College Station area! I'm on my way to a much healthier me. I've lost about 40 lbs and am currently trying to maintain, get stronger and increase my endurance.
  • wonderflair
    wonderflair Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't thank everyone enough for the warm welcome and encouragement! Thank you!

Laurel, you have my admiration - spin class is the toughest thing on the planet! Thanks for the links.

Tracy, your progress and story are inspirational. Keep it up!

Thanks for the welcome, Misty!

Cynthia - thank you! You are so right. Thank you for the reminder!

Hi Lynnie in Scotland! :)

Thanks for the welcome, drdidiz. Wow, so many Texans!

Shanna - I'm in Midland!

Elliemay - wow! Wow wow wow! That is wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, my_so_called_

Sending out lots of friend requests today. Thank you all again!

~Patricia
  • wonderflair
    wonderflair Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I want to say, in response to your comment about being disheartened due to not loosing, DON'T BE!! You said you are more toned and that is SOOO much more important than the number on the scale!! Composition change is AWESOME! Also, working out regularly means that you are doing something good for yourself anyway! KUDOS, LADY!! Keep up the good work!!
    This! Measurements, progress pictures, and how my clothes fit trump numberson the scale. The scale and mirror can both LIE! :wink:
    Glad to have you on my FL. :flowerforyou:

So true! Thank you! So great to connect again!!!!

And thank you for the inspiration, BCSMama! Great job!!!
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas as well! El Paso! Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in Texas as well, South of Houston.
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a Texan ( born in San Antonio and moved to the far west Texas area when I was 9) but my husband's military career has us moving all over the place! I'm almost 45 (yikes) and I am a stay at home mommy. I have lots of family in and around Midland :) Sent you a request......
  • joveen86
    joveen86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hiiiiiii, I'm in Texas too, and I'm a photographer too!! We should be myfitness pal friends :)
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    Welcome! I'm Texas as well! Centrally located around the Killeen/Fort hood area. You can add me if you'd like. I'm looking for some more fitness pals. Same goes for anyone else!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im a Texas girl at heart. I was living in Denton last year, but had to move back to Colorado. My heart will always belong to Texas and my Cowboys. Ill be back in Dallas in a few weeks for Sunday Night Football against the Eagles. Feel free to add me