help me choose from this menu

Options
i am going here for dinner this week with a group of people i used to work with (we go every month and taste the "best of" something on this one person's list - this month is best overall appetizers - so I don't have the option of selecting somewhere else lol)

because it is a one-of-a-kind restaurant, there is no nutritional information available. As such, I will just have to do my best to select the best thing I can from the menu.

I can share it as well, which means I won't need to necessarily eat the whole thing of whatever I get.

What would you guys order?!?!

http://www.oxandangela.com/download/Ox_Dinner_Menu.pdf

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    hmmm...that's a tuffy
  • erindh87
    Options
    I would probably order the scallops or the fish pot. I love seafood, and it doesn't appear as if either has a rich (calorie high) sauce.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The fish pot stew appears to be the healthiest, though it is just one meal, it is ok to eat.
  • lvdesertdiva
    lvdesertdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Personally I would order the scallops, with the kale & asparagus. It all looks delicious!! :happy:
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lots of yummy looking stuff I would go for the fish pot
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I love Spanish food and Spanish men (well one Spanish man) I would try the almonds, olives, scallops, ensalda, and maybe veggie paella. That's what's great about tapas....something for everyone. Moderation will be the hard part here.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    haha the only fish I can really eat is fish fish (salmon, halibut, tilapia, etc.)
    so the fish pot having mussels, prawns, squid, etc. makes it the least appealing to me on the menu

thank you sooo much for you help, all of you - but I guess... what would be your second choice? =D lol

and @bombedpop - you are right that it is just one meal... but since I've started logging my foods I have learned that calories can be hidden in mysterious places and can be way more HUGE than expected. (for example, my favorite meal to get when eating out has 1000+ calories all on its own and I never even knew!) If I am going to mess up, i'd rather it be by ~200 calories, not by 2000! =)
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd go easy on the calories during the day (light breakfast, salad for lunch), and order what I want for dinner. I'd just watch my portions, drink water or iced-tea, and enjoy the food.

The Ensalada (salad) or Asparagus dishes don't look too terrible........
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I would go with the Tortilla de Espana. The Vegetable Paella looks yummy and not too high calorie as well as Kale, Mushrooms on Toast, Asparagas, Ensalada (Salad), Zucchini, and some of the fish look okay. I read that Cod fish is high in calories, so maybe avoid that. The Tortilla de Espana has potatoes and cream, but it is not enough to kill a diet. Potatos, even for a whole one, are only about 150 calories last I checked and cream is maybe 100. Eggs are pretty low calories so even if this is a huge omelette at most the entire thing would probably be 600 calories. xo It could be a lot less too, it depends, so it is hard to judge the dishes. We should use yelp.
  • junipearl
    Options
    I'd go easy on the calories during the day (light breakfast, salad for lunch), and order what I want for dinner. I'd just watch my portions, drink water or iced-tea, and enjoy the food.
    Definitely will try to do this as well. Thanks!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would call and ask ahead of time. :)
    I hate being the person to ask there at the restaurant, but calling ahead might not be a bad idea. I would call early when they're just opening to ask what they think would be the healthiest choice for someone watching their calorie intake.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for low cals, the best options IMHO are:
    Zucchini, shaved zucchini, mint, manchego, almond, lemon
    Asparagus, grilled asparagus, soft poached egg, manchego, citrus, tru
    Prawns, wild caught B.C. side stripe prawns, garlic, chili & sherry. served wi grilled sourdough $13
    Fish Pot, salt cod, mussels, B.C. side stripe prawns, clams, squid, white wine and saron bro $22
    Sardines, grilled sardine, caper vinaigrette, toasted panko $11

for high protein:
    Jamon Serrano, salt cured ham of Spain
    Prawns, wild caught B.C. side stripe prawns, garlic, chili & sherry. served wi grilled sourdough $13
    Fish Pot, salt cod, mussels, B.C. side stripe prawns, clams, squid, white wine and saron bro $22
    Sardines, grilled sardine, caper vinaigrette, toasted panko $11
    Chicken, slow cooked chicken drums, olive and wine braise, basque ketchup

and simply delicious:
    Pintxos, featured selection of classic basque tapa
    Pan Con Tomate, grilled sourdough
    Charcuterie Platter, local & imported cured meats, manchego, roasted almonds, olives, pickles, dijon

Ioooove Spanish food

if you ask for salad, make sure to ask for dressing on the side, as they may dress it with tons of oil olive and vinegar

ETA: the worst options calorie wise are (all loaded with fats- healthy fats)
    Olives,
    Almonds, candied almonds, smoked paprika, toasted sesame, sea salt $4
    Cheese, aged manchego, crushed almonds, pomegranate molasses $7
    Jamon Serrano, salt cured ham of Spain, ‘Fermin Brand,’ extra virgin olive oil $12
    Tortilla de Espana, ‘Spanish omelette’ - potato, red pepper, egg & onion, creme fraiche $6

Patatas Bravas, not so bad - but watch out alioli sauce (also not easy on stomach as its basically olive oil mixed with garlic)
    Fritters, salt cod and potato croquettes - this is bredded and deepfried dish
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Pictures! http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ox-and-angela-calgary?select=zjglJjoiOSHENhHZt-VtuQ#fe3BOrg2LBvx-_TlAe_V4Q
    The Paella looks YUM :] Maybe try the veggie one instead of the pot?
  • junipearl
    Options
    Honestly, I would call and ask ahead of time. :)
    I hate being the person to ask there at the restaurant, but calling ahead might not be a bad idea. I would call early when they're just opening to ask what they think would be the healthiest choice for someone watching their calorie intake.
    This is actually a great idea. I hate being that person who is like "no no I have to figure out something low cal." or "I'll just have a salad" because I remember how I used to scoff at those people. This is why I look at the menu and make my decisions ahead of time - I don't like to advertise that I am watching my caloric intake to people I know and probably never will be okay with doing so.
  • junipearl
    Options
    @verity - thank you for finding those pictures!!!! that will help. =)

@martucha - great insight; thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful :)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    the market paella, the tomatoes and cheese, any of the grilled scallop, shrimp. sounds so yummy. have fun.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would probably choose the Asparagus... just because I LOVE LOVE LOVE asparagus. :smile: