Getting started help

Options
I have around 100lbs to lose. I am currently a member of a fully equiped gym which I mainly use for aqua or for swimming and I can also walk/run. At the moment I go 2/3 a week to the gym but would like to get more out of my time. To see a difference how much should I be trying to do and what would be a good way to start?

Thanks for any replies

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lift weights 2-3x per week and create a 20-25% deficit for as long as you cna take it or until you are down to 30% bodyfat or so and then decrease the deficit to ~15%
  • jenncampbell01
    Options
    I do best with Classes. The machines and weights are a bit intimidating when you just do not know what to do. I am part of a fitness bootcamp that incorporates both cardio and weights. It is great! I also enjoy Zumba, but haven't done it in a while. Check with your gym about classes and see what works for you. Also some gyms offer a couple of free secessions with trainers to introduce you to the equipment.
  • NT77
    NT77 Posts: 8
    Options
    I always worry I am going to fall flat on my face in classes or be the only fat one but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained, maybe I should ask at the gym if any classes are for low ability?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There should be a trainer at the gym who can assist you?
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am looking to lose 100lbs too and then we will see. I rejoined a gym a few weeks ago. I took the plunge and got some sessions with a personal trainer who I work with 1 per week. I try to do a weight with a little cardio that she sets me another usually 2x but only one last week due to work commitments. I swim after my own workout but not usually after my PT work out. I also do I powerplate class per week which I love. I haven't gone with classes as I feel I would be a bit embarrassed at the moment but I was thinking to add in yoga or pilates.

I do think that working with a PT really helps but it is expensive. I get to do boxing and exercises throwing balls etc that I would not have or can not do alone. I also have a knee injury so can work around that more easily with a trainer.

Good luck - feel free to friend me if you want support
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    . I also do I powerplate class per week which I love.

Oooh I'm a Powerplate personal trainer!
    Good to see someone uses them and enjoys it.

Not many on here think they work..but they do :wink:

What results have you seen so far?
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I always worry I am going to fall flat on my face in classes or be the only fat one but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained, maybe I should ask at the gym if any classes are for low ability?

please don't worry, classes should not make you feel inadequate, and they should all offer 'options' for people who are less fit than others. I did my first class when I was around 270lbs (BodyCombat), and was made to feel very welcome. Nobody in a class should critiscise you for wanting to be there:flowerforyou: