Does anyone have a good chicken parmigiana recipe?

Options
kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
I've never made chicken parmigiana, but I've been craving it and I know that going out to my favorite Italian restaurant would totally kill my day. haha.
I would *love* to have it for dinner tomorrow, so I'm open to any recipes/tips that you can offer!!

Replies

• blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm !

saving for other members ideas!
    lol
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts (pounded out slightly)
    Classico Tomato and basil sauce
    Cabot 75% reduced fat shredded cheese
    Mrs. Dash

Sprinkle the chicken with a little Mrs. Dash, I then grill them on a grill pan on the stove. Once they are cook, I put them in a lasagna dish, take some of the classico sauce and put it over the chicken, then some of the cheese. bake in the oven till cheese is melted. Chicken portion should be 5 oz for a woman.

Christine
  • tymaddox
    tymaddox Posts: 9
    Options
    look up the hungrygirl recipe! it's really really good
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts (pounded out slightly)
    Classico Tomato and basil sauce
    Cabot 75% reduced fat shredded cheese
    Mrs. Dash

Sprinkle the chicken with a little Mrs. Dash, I then grill them on a grill pan on the stove. Once they are cook, I put them in a lasagna dish, take some of the classico sauce and put it over the chicken, then some of the cheese. bake in the oven till cheese is melted. Chicken portion should be 5 oz for a woman.

Christine

She stole my recipe! LOL

I basically do the same thing, but I don't grill them in a pan first. I'll place boneless skinless chicken breasts in a glass lasagna pan and bake them until they're pretty much done - drain out any fat, then top with jarred tomato sauce (whatever you like- I like to use Ragu 7 herb tomato or my store brand chunky mushroom/green pepper flavor) Then top it with 2% mozzarella or a low-fat italian blend and some parmesan cheese.

It's not breaded and fried like "real" parmigiana - but it's delicious! Serve it with some Smart Choice or whole wheat pasta and MMMMmmmmmm - Very fast and easy and everyone (even those who are NOT watching their weight) will love it!
    :love:
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I do a low carb chicken parm recipe that come out great.

Chicken breast pounded till thin
    Dip in egg then into seasoned flaxseed meal. (the seasoning is salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley.)
    Use desired tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese

The flaxseed meal makes it crispy, and is a great option instead of breadcrumbs.
  • mindy22ga
    mindy22ga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This one from cooking light is awesome. "Herbed Chicken Parmesan"

We recommend rice-shaped orzo pasta with this saucy chicken entrée, but you can serve spaghetti or angel hair pasta instead.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
    1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 1/2 cups bottled fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
    Preparation
    Preheat broiler.

Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.

Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:308 (30% from fat)
    Fat:10.4g (sat 5.7g,mono 3g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein:35.9g
    Carbohydrate:16.2g
    Fiber:1.8g
    Cholesterol:88mg
    Iron:2.3mg
    Sodium:808mg
    Calcium:249mg
    Ann Taylor Pittman, Cooking Light, NOVEMBER
  • jezziebelle
    Options
    This one is a little different than usual, but I love it!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan_chicken/

The recipe could pretty easily be tamed down for calorie-wise decisions, and if you need the tomato part you could add tomato sauce or even just add some tomatoes you chop up and sautee. That would be a healthy option part!
  • nikbrown
    nikbrown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is how I've always done it and it's much healthier than most places.

Butterfly a chicken breast (much easier than pounding it out)
    Pat on:
    2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and diced.
    1TBS Basel (or 2-3 TBS fresh)
    1 tsp rosemary diced finely (fresh if at all possible)
    Pinch of salt and pepper to taste

2TBS olive oil in a hot pan (right below the smoke point of the oil)

Cook the chicken till it starts to brown, then flip. Once other side is browned remove from pan. Put in an oven safe dish and top with marinara. Top that with a LITTLE bit of mozzarella and shredded parm. Bake covered at 350 for 20 min or so.

Remove and serve (over pasta if you would like)

As for Marinara I've never had a recipe, I just make it. Sorry:
    Something like:
    2 cans crushed tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce
    4-5 cloves garlic
    1 onion diced
    1-2tsp rosemary
    20 or so large fresh Basel leaves diced
    1/2 tsp cyan pepper.
    salt to taste

I just saute the onion and garlic with a bit of salt, add the tomatoes, add the spices / herbs and simmer on low for an hour or so.
  • deedeehunt
    Options
    Are you familiar with the CLEAN EATING MAGAZINE? They have a great chicken parmesan recipe. I may be biased because I had never had chicken parmesan before this so I have nothing to compare it to. Here's a link to a transcribed version of the recipe.
    http://www.insanityisrelative.com/2010/01/tonight-i-tried-out-new-recipe-from.html
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I ended up doing a super simple, poor-college-chick version that was pretty good.

I took a Purdue chicken breast and whacked it a couple of times with the back of my ice cream scoop (haha). Then I seasoned the chicken with Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder. Then I browned it in a skilled with a teaspoon or so of olive oil, just to brown it a bit and make sure the spices stuck to the chicken well. Then the chicken went into a baking dish and I poured about 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce on it and stuck it into a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. About half way through I put on 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on top and let it melt. I did turn the broiler on the last minute or so.
    I served it along with 2 oz of healthy harvest pasta and another 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce.
    I would have loved to have a salad with it. ...but I haven't gone grocery shopping in a week or so. haha.

Thanks for all the help!
  • kebell21
    kebell21 Posts: 2
    Options
    We make a really yummy easy recipe- pan fry boneless, skinless breast-remove from heat when it's still nice and juicy. Take a cookie sheet and cover it with tinfoil (makes clean up a lot easier!)- place chicken breasts on there, top with a slice of tomato and cheese of your choice-put in the oven until cheese is melted. If we don't have tomatoes, we use salsa and they come out super tasty!
  • erinm
    erinm Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    yummy!
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump