Questions for avid runners...

Options
Hey! I've started running in the past year or so. I slowly built up to running a 5K and by next year around this time I wanted to shoot for a half marathon. My problem is I get about 30 minutes into a run and my energy just starts to run out. Time moves slower and slower. Are there certain things you can do to give yourself more energy during a run? Certain foods maybe? Also, how do you keep up that drive or motivation to keep moving? I'm hoping as my stamina builds that some of this will improve, but I would really appreciate advice/tips on how to boost the energy a bit.

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Slow down! And take a one minute walk break now and then - all my pb's were achieved with a 10/1 walk break ...But most important, slow down......
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Slow down! And take a one minute walk break now and then - all my pb's were achieved with a 10/1 walk break ...But most important, slow down......

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot. I generally only run at 5 - 5.2 mph. It's not very fast and I don't have a very long stride. I'll definitely try the 1 minute breaks. Thanks!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The one minute breaks gives me something to look forward to - and it gets your heartrate down nicely so you have more stamina for the next ten minutes...
    It's a lot easier running for 90 minutes with 8 one minute breaks than trying to run 90 minutes without stopping, and timewise you lose very little over a longer distance...The breather in between enables me to keep my pace where it should be.....:flowerforyou:
    And if you do faster shorter runs during the week, the long slow ones built incredible stamina as well....
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Music helps me. No need to slow down if you don't feel like you are running to fast (out of breath, exhaustion). Set small goals for yourself, run to the next block, the next telephone pole the next car, what ever you need too, to keep going. Usually once you get past the "low" point of the run, your body releases endorphins and you get the "runners high" at least that is what it seems like to me. I am no dr. and this is how it was explained to me.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When do you eat compared to when you run? Most of my runs are in the evening, a couple hours after dinner (after the kiddos are in bed and the house has settled a little). This seems optimum for my mid-week, shorter runs, however, my long runs are on the weekend, early, early in the morning (I was out the door at 5AM yesterday and had a good portion of my 13 miles in before the sun was up). No time for breakfast and digestion on those days, so I usually just mix-up and drink a pre-workout energy drink (1.M.R. is my favorite), about 15 minutes before I go. It definitely gives me a little pick-me-up that carries through a good 30-45 minutes into the run. If I'm running for significantly more than an hour, I'll bring a Gu or two with me (for my weekend LSD, I usually carry two).

Other posters suggested music, I second this, just make sure you're careful and safe, especially if you're in an area with heavy automobile traffic.

My other suggestion would be to vary your routes. I cannot stand to do multiple laps of a small route. I usually do large out-and-back types of runs or, if I must do laps, one lap is a large distance (the lap for my LSD yesterday was a 5.5-mile loop). Changing scenery is definitely something that keeps me "into" the run. And, like yesterday, watching the world wake up while I'm out running keeps me engaged, too.

As for motivation to keep going out three or four times a week? Go pay for a race. You have a half-marathon goal? Pick your goal race, then go plunk down $65-$75 dollars on your entry fee now. That's what keeps me moving -- knowing I paid a not-insignificant amount of money for a race and the desire to get my money's worth out of it (only finishers get the finishers' medal, right?).
  • allisongallahan
    allisongallahan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are already a lot of good suggestions, but I would also suggest running faster. After that 30 min mark or when you notice you are slowing down, pick something off in the distance maybe 100 feet or so and force yourself to run faster (not a sprint but just faster) until you reach that mark. By doing so you may fix your stride and get yourself moving agian. This helped me in my last 5 K when I got a PR by 2 minutes and has really helped me out when I hit points in my last half marathon when I noticed I was going WAY too slow.

Good Luck!
  • allie5199
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I firmly believe that the hardest portion of my run is from mile 2.5 - 3.5 (and I've ran a marathon!) - where my brain tells me I've had enough, and my legs get a little weak. Running is a mental game. If you can convince yourself it's in your head (unless you're heaving severe pain), then fight through it!

Some tricks that help me... bring skittles and pop a couple at mile 2 and 3 (and whenever you need them through out your run). they're a great energy booster, and not a lot of calories (a package will usually last me 2-3 runs). Also, make a play list, and have some upbeat songs about 20 and 30 minutes into the run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Food isn't going to do it. You have to build your fitness by lots of slow running over time. You should be running a pace at which you could carry on a conversation with someone. If you can't, slow down. If you need to walk a bit, walk a bit. It just takes time to build aerobic fitness. Keep up the good work!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! To answer one of the responders, I generally run when I get home from work before dinner. I get home late and generally wait to have my meals when my boyfriend gets home from work. Occasionally I run after dinner, but I've found that no matter how long I wait for the food to digest, I always cramp up. On the weekends, I generally run around 8AM before breakfast. I might have a quick snack before I go out on those days. I tend to have more energy on the weekends since I'm running right when I wake up.

I may have to slow down the run a bit. I'm a bit shorter at 5'2 and if I go much faster that 5mph, I get overheated really fast. This might get better over time, but more people have told me to run at a slower pace anyway so I'm not jumping to speed up too much any time soon.

Really appreciating everyones tips. They are much appreciated!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I may have to slow down the run a bit. I'm a bit shorter at 5'2 and if I go much faster that 5mph, I get overheated really fast. This might get better over time, but more people have told me to run at a slower pace anyway so I'm not jumping to speed up too much any time soon.

Just so you know, height is irrelevant. I'm 5'4". Meb Keflezighi is 5'5". Deena Kastor is 5'4". It's all about the turnover.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot. I generally only run at 5 - 5.2 mph. It's not very fast and I don't have a very long stride. I'll definitely try the 1 minute breaks. Thanks!

are you running outside or on a treadmill? i started on a treadmill running 4.8-5.0. outside i'm running 11.5 min to 12 minute miles. fyi i'm 4' 11". a quick little break will help boost your energy. also i never eat a meal before i run. i might have a snack an hour before but nothing that is heavy (string cheese or vanilla yogurt) because it gives me heartburn. i do my best on the weekends probably because i'm less stressed from work.

watch out for increasing your speed too soon too fast - you run the risk of injury. since the speed thing isn't working try focusing on distance, speed will happen you just have to give it some time. good luck. i ran my first 10k last month and now i'm training for a half next june.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the folks that say take it slow, but one other thing I would point out. You mention you start to burn out at 30 minutes into your run, which is probably about 3 miles in. That is a common mental block distance. For some reason people hit a wall about that time. The key on mental blocks is to force yourself past them. Make sure you are hydrated and fueled before your next run and do not let yourself quit at 3 miles. Make yourself go at least another half mile, or more. Once you get past that magic 3 mile point it gets much easier.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slow down. At 30 minutes of running, hydration & food shouldn't really be an issue.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Food isn't going to do it. You have to build your fitness by lots of slow running over time. You should be running a pace at which you could carry on a conversation with someone. If you can't, slow down. If you need to walk a bit, walk a bit. It just takes time to build aerobic fitness. Keep up the good work!

^^ This.

If you get a chance read a book called "The Runners Body" it goes into pretty good detail the adaptions that your body goes through when becoming an endurance athlete - and they all take time.

Slow down and have fun.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've got my third half marathon coming up and for training, I generally stick to a long run on Sundays with other activities during the week. This is what works for me on long runs:

(1) Music! Can't leave the house without it.
    (2) I make sure I drink plenty of water the night before.
    (3) I usually eat cereal for breakfast ~ something like cheerios or life.
    (4) I'm out the door early - depending on the time of year & ambient light, but usually by around 6 am.
    (5) During the run, I wear my water belt - on runs longer than an hour, I fill it half with a sports beverage and half with water
    (6) During training I use intervals - 14 minutes running / 1 minute walking. This splits my run up into 15 minute segments and makes it easy for me to plan out what I'm going to do. Yesterday I ran for 2 hours (so 8 "sets" of intervals). At any given point, I knew exactly where I was in my run and mentally that makes it easier for me.

Personally, I can't eat anything while running (like gu, or beans) - but I know people that do and they love it. But, as someone else mentioned, you shouldn't need something like that after 30 minutes; usually you need to be going for at least an hour before needing something like that.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way all the time. I am 54, so its easy to be tired! I had to push through. Miles and minutes are the building blocks of stamina. Build up your miles, and then go for the minutes. If you can run 3 miles without a walk, run 3.5. If you can run a 5k, do one in the morning and another later on. You'll be amazed what happens when you put on the miles.

A lot of this game is mental. If you have an HRM and you are within your range, you should only be limited by your mind and hitting the end of your ability to store oxygen. VO2 max, or maximal oxygen uptake, is one factor that can determine an athlete's capacity to perform sustained exercise and is linked to aerobic endurance.

I have to say, I rarely find that I hit the VO2 Max. Most of it is me thinking about how far I have run, or how far I have to go. That can mess with my head and I start to limit myself - and then I start quitting.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the folks that say take it slow, but one other thing I would point out. You mention you start to burn out at 30 minutes into your run, which is probably about 3 miles in. That is a common mental block distance. For some reason people hit a wall about that time. The key on mental blocks is to force yourself past them. Make sure you are hydrated and fueled before your next run and do not let yourself quit at 3 miles. Make yourself go at least another half mile, or more. Once you get past that magic 3 mile point it gets much easier.

I couldn't agree with this more. I was running a couple miles several times a week earlier this year, then I finally started running outside. I hated it at first. One day I tried to run 3 miles just to see what time I could do it in. It took me about 30 minutes. The next week I tried it one more time but after 3 miles I ran another quarter mile. That was the breaking point for me. After that I was trying 4 miles, then I eventually worked up to 5 miles and now that doesn't seem too difficult. I really like that distance and now I'm going to start doing 6 miles once a week and I really enjoy it.

After I started breaking down the 30 minute barrier it seemed much easier mentally to push myself more. I run first thing in the morning without eating a thing. I just have a small drink of water, warm up and then run. Energy never seems to be an issue for me even doing 5.25 miles. I'm guessing an hour or so is just fine for running without needing extra food. Just work on the distance and don't focus on your speed so much.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slow down and adding walk breaks. And the key is to take a break BEFORE you feel you need one.

I am doing 3 run/1 walk (minutes) on my long runs right now, and it works!