• IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    1. Lift weights
    2. Cardio after
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    After trying every diet known to man, I have decided to make a lifestyle change. Not to diet, but to change what I eat
    aka a diet.
    I am wanting to build endurance so that I can run far distances and tone my body.
    50% cardio, 50% heavy weight training. Do that for a few months and reassess your body and goals.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on turning your life around and heading in the right direction.:smile:
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest signing up with a trainer at your gym, at least once a week, to help you get started and move forward as well as assess where you are, set some goals and be able to track your progress. I actually belong to two "gyms" - one is a yoga studio where I participate in a 60 - 75 minute class daily M thru F. I also belong to a gym - try to get there at least 5 - 6 days a week - work on cardio for 20 minutes, machines/floor exercise/strength training for 20 minutes and more cardio for another 20 minutes - and I meet with a trainer for 30 minutes once a week. You'll get into your own rhythm - you've taken the first step which is important - you joined! Getting to where I am has been a four year progression, so don't expect to get there overnight. The important thing is that you've started. Good luck!!
  • matt70hew
    Options
    From my trainer : if you are looking to lose weight and tone up muscle --
    WEIGHTS-- what you can handle (aka dont go heavy if you are just starting out---its a marathon NOT a sprint)

CARDIO after lifting --- your body will have tapped into sugars following weight training and you will benefit more from the cardio

BUT what you like will keep you coming back for more and that will help the most...

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/11/07/cardio-before-or-after-weights/