Running Clothes + Pack Question

Options
Hi everyone! I like to run with a camelback to carry my water + TP + snacks...however, I have messed up a few good running shirts lately. It looks like the straps of the pack create small tears in the shirt. Really it just looks like the shirt gets scuffed up pretty bad, but sometimes it affects the shape of the shirt. We dont have expensive camelbacks but both my fiance and I have different models and both do it to different material shirts. Does anyone know how this could be avoided? Maybe duct tape or something?

I really dont want to stop running with the pack, I guess its kinda a safety net. It gets pretty hot here in AZ and most of our training runs are in areas that there arent any parks with water fountains or anything. We used to carry hand bottles and belts, but started running out of water once we pushed over 10 miles. So we got the packs and they have been great, except for ruining our clothes.

We have a half marathon this Sunday (if I can shake this cold) so if anyone has any ideas please help! Thanks!

Replies

• draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    shameless bump
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are not going to get any answers here. If you are running 10 miles or more, things are gonna rub. Things are gonna chafe. Just the way it is.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are they going to have water stations at the race? If you're adequately hydrated going in you should be able to run without carrying anything on your person.

Have you considered switching back to a fuel belt? There are models with 4 x 10oz flasks which should be plenty for long training runs and will save your shirts.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your race will have water stations
  • draculaspointer
    Options
    The race has water stations ever 2.5 miles, so yes, there will be plenty of water at the actual race. I just like carrying the pack so I can drink when I need it, not when its there.

The reason we switched to the packs was that during the heat of the AZ summer, we would run out of water carrying the belt with 4 10oz bottles plus a 16oz hand bottle. Then we got used to running with them, so even though its not 100 degrees anymore, we are just more comfortable carrying the pack.

Thanks for the input. I think we will try duct tape and test it out on a shirt i dont care as much about before ruining another good shirt.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    your race will have water stations

This !
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Use a different pack, one designed for running specifically.

The Nathan packs are designed for running. I have never, ever had one chafe. I don't like waist belt water carriers and prefer packs for long runs. I also have a Salomon pack that is amazingly awesome. Neither is cheap, but the Nathans are a little cheaper, I think. I haven't tried the UltraSpire packs but I have a friend who loves hers. About the same price range. They should sell one or all of these at your local running store.

Use a better pack and you shouldn't have an issue!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    A better pack is all I can suggest...I had a bunch of nice running shirts scuffed up by a "good" and otherwise really comfortable running belt - make sure you get one with an elastic "belt"...Mine's canvas (from the Running Room) and works well, except for messing up my shirts...
    On the other hand, as long as the shirt is comfortable and don't smell, I don't mind the scuffs - no-one looks at my waist while I'm running...:flowerforyou:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can stand running with a camelback, but if you say it's your preferred method, then so be it! I love mine for biking but far prefer my waterbelt for running. On race day, yes they will have water stations, but I would never rely soley on that for hydration. I've done 2 half marathons and the water stations are nice, but they never magically appear exactly when I'd ilke a drink of water :-).

So, it sounds like you need a better pack! Or run topless.
  • draculaspointer
    Options
    I think a better pack is the right answer. @dorianaldyn, I HATED running with a pack the first few times. the whole slosh slosh slosh thing drove me nuts. But as long as its pretty secure and doesnt bounce excessively, it isnt too bad. The sloshing is now kinda relaxing LOL.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I run with a CamelBak branch pack and have not had any issues w/ my shirt.. but I do normally wear a racer back tank. The straps on mine are a little padded and I wear it snug around my shoulders. I listen to music when I run and don't notice the sloshing...

I am trying to figure out how to put coffee it in though... = )
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a runner, but maybe get those sheepskin seatbelt covers to go on the straps? It might even be cheaper to go to a fabric store and get like half a yard of sheepskin or imitation sheepskin and just sew or glue it on where you need it. I'd be pretty upset if my clothes were being ruined... hope you get the problem solved! :flowerforyou:
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've done 50k's, 50 milers and more 20+ mile runs than I can count with a Nathan hydration pack and I've never had any issues with chafing or it damaging my shirts. As others have said, try a different pack.