Didn't realize how much I needed running…

Options
A little over a month ago I started having some serious knee problems when running. During the Philly Half, I collapsed 3 times (still finished). It turns out my feet are extremely weird and the solution was orthotics. So, for this time-frame I was going to focus on building up leg strength, swim, get better at road biking, etc. Well, I can count on both hands how many times I worked out in that last month and a half. I thought I was just being lazy, but I realized it’s because I can’t run.

When I was running, I was very dedicated to all my other exercising. I decided to look back into the past at other times I couldn't run and how I handled that. Guess what, any time I could not run for one reason or another, my exercising and eating habits went down the toilet. I never realized until today how much I rely on running for my mental health.

Do you have an activity that you rely on like this?

Replies

• emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep. Running. It's my time to myself, my time outside, my time for deep breathing, and it really sets me up nicely with endorphins and it burns enough calories that I can have treats (so good for mental health). I am totally addicted and I love it. If I couldn't run, though, I would do something else. There are so many things that will have all or most of these benefits, plus different benefits: swimming, biking, yoga, and walking are the first that come to mind.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've found running to be a great stress reliever. Going through some tough times I needed runs to help centre me.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I prefer running & I seem to get into the best shape when I'm running but cycling is what helps me the most. I had knee surgery at 21 because of sports injuries & I can't run as often or as far as I'd like but I can cycle all day.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have tried other activities...swimming gives me the same relief as running. However, I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the closest pool, which is usually packed. So, there is some laziness and stress involved with actually getting to the gym to swim, so I end up psyching myself out of swimming a lot. I used to love biking, but from injuries I didn't bike for almost 10 years...and I was a mountain biker. I tried road biking and it's totally different, so I'm still getting used to that. So, sadly, I can't really use anything else to replace running...yet. Anyone want to donate a lot of money to me so I can buy a lap pool? :tongue: