Scary Gym vs Cute Gym - My NSV.

Options
tephey
tephey Posts: 44 Member
I'm on my way to signing a gym membership. I've been running and lifting at home since I started this journey. So today, I went out and checked out our two gyms in town. Yeah, just two. One has a large free weights section. You can tell that those that are more about weight lifting choose that gym. The other is really cozy, new and shiny. But, the free weight section is very small. I'm really intimidated by the first gym, but I really want to take a serious go at heavy lifting, so I have gotten a two week free pass for the first gym! Can't wait for tomorrow, my first time in a gym in about 10 years. I now just have to get past the fear of looking stupid until I learn what I am doing. :)

Replies

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I agree, nice new gyms are great, but you will find down the road that free weights are very versatile and you can do alot more with them than 1 machine that does 1 exercise. I do about 2/3 machines, 1/3 free weights.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying the "scary" gym! Don't worry about looking stupid... just ask one of the gym employees to show you some of the different types of lifts and proper form for each. Or ask one of the gym members that looks like they know what they're doing. I've found that most people are happy to help :flowerforyou:
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I now just have to get past the fear of looking stupid until I learn what I am doing. :)

Turn your fear to a positive. Ask somebody to "spot" what you are doing and get their ideas for doing it right. Then you choose. It's a whole different world. If you don't ask, nobody is paying attention, so don't worry about the "looking stupid" part. Just go and enjoy your workout.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!