Oatmeal: Anyway to make it less mushy?

Options
For some strange reason I've always been the kind of person that needed foods to feel a certain way. Mushy is fine with certain vegetables, desserts, and fruits, but so far it's become a problem with oatmeal.

Is there any way I can make it so that it is less mush, and more solid? Does it have to be somewhat mushy, or could I just eat it dry? Thanks!

Replies

• GoatBoat66
    Options
    Use less milk/water. But oatmeal is like mush by definition so I don't know if you can completely unmushify it.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    Maybe oatmeal is just not for you. There are plenty of other healthy options, don't try to force yourself to eat stuff you don't like.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not making instant, you can change the texture of your oatmeal by using less (or more) water in the cooking process.
  • pamela387
    pamela387 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tend to use very little water and undercook it. Requires more chewing. Another alternative is to go to the other extreme and make it much more water/milky so that it's soupy, not mushy.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Use Quaker "Steel Cut" Oats stays crunchy and much better for you.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    add a really good non flavored protein powder to it. This helps to thicken it up and also adds protein which will help to have the carbs absorb even slower.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baked oatmeal? More cookie texture, less mushy. Lots of recipes on the web (all the way from healthy to decadent).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just eat it dry, out of a bag, like a horse.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Use old fashioned rolled oats rather than instant oats or quick oats and add more or less water than the box says. I find I enjoy my oatmeal more if I use 1-1/4 cups of water to 1/2 cup of oats (rather than 1 cup of water). You might prefer yours with 3/4 cup water instead.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Buy rolled oats instead. Less milk/water, slightly less cooking time. I use 1/4 cup rolled oats to a little less than 1/2 cup almond milk.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You could always eat it uncooked, just like dry cereal. It doesn't get mushy but it's pretty chewy, lol! One way we've done it is uncooked oatmeal, another cereal that you like, freeze dried strawberries, and mini chocolate chips put into a container...shake it up and voile you have your own take on muesli :)
  • suegmune
    Options
    Skip the "regular" oatmeal and go for steel cut and use a crockpot. I used to HATE oatmeal, and now i cannot get enough. its NEVER mushy, always on the side of crunchy, and soooo flavorful. http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Eat it raw with milk.
  • jfrog123
    Options
    Baked oatmeal for one from chocolate covered katie:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/11/11/check-out-my-oatmeal-cake/
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am on board with the steel cut oats in a small crockpot. 17oz water, 140g steel cut oats, 2.5 hours on low for three servings.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats. I'll take 1/2 cup oats and 1/3 cup milk, put that in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge over night. Microwave it in the morning for about a minute and add some berries, honey, or whatever you like. It doesn't make it mushy, but it'll make them soft enough to chew.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats definitely have a firmer texture. Similar to brown rice, and definitely less mushy than regular quick oats.

their drawback is a longer cooking time. But it's worth it!
  • jfrog123
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats aka refrigerator oats? People do it different ways, but I sometimes stir dry oats, Greek yogurt, and fruit together then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. You eat it for breakfast the next morning - no cooking required - the yogurt (or whatever other liquid you use) softens the oats without making them mushy.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Make a homemade granola, add nuts, seeds, a little cinnamon, maple syrup. Toss and layout on a baking dish and bake at 300* for an hour, tossing every 20 minutes. Great over yogurt with some banana or berries.