1/2 marathon

kgrutch
kgrutch Posts: 223
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
well i have been running since october. i started slow (could not even run around my block) and gradually have pushed myself to run father and faster. i didnt use any program, like the c25k, just started running and pushed my harder and harder. i run both on the road and on the treadmill. i have run numerous 5k's since thne but yesterday completed my first 1/2 marathon. my goal was to finish under 2 hours and I DID IT. i finished 1 hour and 58 minutes which was a huge accomplishment for me. i really dont run much distance on a regular basis (time crunch) so i was a little concerned but i did it with energy to spare. it is a great feeling of accomplishment to complete something you werent sure if you could ever achieve.

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Great job! I hope to do a 1/2 marathon in a year or so. :smile:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    This is fantastic! What a great accomplishment!!! What was the distance of this half marathon?
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    This is fantastic! What a great accomplishment!!! What was the distance of this half marathon?

1/2 marathons are 13.1 miles! A marathon is 26.2!
  • AWESOME! I ALSO WANT TO 5K/.5 MARATHON/MARATHON! I AM STILL WORKING ON THE 5K RIGHT NOW THO.
  • Good job!!! I am just starting to train to complete a 1/2 marathon myself. I can't run with a scrap but I am willing to have a go at it. I have been on the treadmill, elipitcal, and track. I am having a hard time. My shins are killing me. Going to buy new shoes this weekend.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Way to go!!! I completed my first half in Dec. And I honestly forgot my time. HA HA I want to do another half this summer!
  • Congratulations! That is amazing-especially seeing you only started running not that long ago! I am running my first in April! You have inspired me!
  • kgrutch
    Good job!!! I am just starting to train to complete a 1/2 marathon myself. I can't run with a scrap but I am willing to have a go at it. I have been on the treadmill, elipitcal, and track. I am having a hard time. My shins are killing me. Going to buy new shoes this weekend.

i had shin splints for the first few months that i started running. i was told by many runners that they would just go away and they did. i dont even have great shoes, just plain nikes. thank goodness i dont have too many aches and pains since i am 40, lol. my left knee hurt yesterday after the race but it feels fine already. congrats on attempting the 1/2 marathon, good luck in your training.
  • That's awesome! Congratulations! I started running in September, and I want to run a 1/2 this fall but I wasn't sure I'd be ready -- so reading this makes me optimistic that I can do it! :bigsmile: Thanks for the inspiration!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Congrats. I WISH I could get under 2. Closest so far is 2:14 back in Jan. Maybe now you can be marathon ready :)
  • kgrutch
    Congrats. I WISH I could get under 2. Closest so far is 2:14 back in Jan. Maybe now you can be marathon ready :)

thats a good time. i havent really decided if i am up for a full marathon. i dont have a lot of time to do long runs which i probably needed for a full marathon. i do a lot of interval training (sprints and inclines) vs long distance. im not sure if that would be enough. i felt pretty good at the end of the 1/2, i know i could have done at least 5 more but another 13, whew. have you done a full? how did u do?
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 635 Member
    WOW, amazing time. Doing my first in May and hope to get under 2:30.
  • kgrutch
    well i just ran a 5K today (6 days after my 1/2 marathon). i was trying to decrease my time for the 5K but i couldn't. i got the exact same time as the last 5K i ran (25min 40sec). i was trying not to be disappointed but i was. i thought i had trained more and could decrease my time. i'm not sure if i was still recuperating from the 1/2 marathon or if it that hard to decrease the time. anyone have any ideas or experience with this?
  • well i just ran a 5K today (6 days after my 1/2 marathon). i was trying to decrease my time for the 5K but i couldn't. i got the exact same time as the last 5K i ran (25min 40sec). i was trying not to be disappointed but i was. i thought i had trained more and could decrease my time. i'm not sure if i was still recuperating from the 1/2 marathon or if it that hard to decrease the time. anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

To decrease my time in a 5k, I do a lot of speed work on the treadmill or track. I usually do a 5 mile tempo run once a week. This consists of running for .5 mile at 7 mph, 2.5 at 7.5 mph, 1 ,mile at 8.0, and gradually increase speed to 10 mph for the last mile. I walk for 5 min after this to relax and stretch my legs. Don't forget to stretch after you run that fast. Then one day a week, I do a 5k by alternating 7.5 mph for 2 min with 9.0 mph for 2 min the whole way thru. This will make your time go down. My first 5k was 24:36 and my last one was 21:30. Keep up the distance on the other days and don't always push for time because that is an easy way to get injured!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Good job! That is so awsome!
  • kgrutch
    well i just ran a 5K today (6 days after my 1/2 marathon). i was trying to decrease my time for the 5K but i couldn't. i got the exact same time as the last 5K i ran (25min 40sec). i was trying not to be disappointed but i was. i thought i had trained more and could decrease my time. i'm not sure if i was still recuperating from the 1/2 marathon or if it that hard to decrease the time. anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

To decrease my time in a 5k, I do a lot of speed work on the treadmill or track. I usually do a 5 mile tempo run once a week. This consists of running for .5 mile at 7 mph, 2.5 at 7.5 mph, 1 ,mile at 8.0, and gradually increase speed to 10 mph for the last mile. I walk for 5 min after this to relax and stretch my legs. Don't forget to stretch after you run that fast. Then one day a week, I do a 5k by alternating 7.5 mph for 2 min with 9.0 mph for 2 min the whole way thru. This will make your time go down. My first 5k was 24:36 and my last one was 21:30. Keep up the distance on the other days and don't always push for time because that is an easy way to get injured!

appreciate the advice, i am writing it down now and will try the 5 miler in the am at the gym. sounds tough but i will try it, i have never even tried higher than a 9 on the treadmill. as long i dont fall off, lol. thanks again. 21 is a awesome time, if i can even get to the 24 min range i would be thrilled.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Um yeah...you shouldn't have been doing much but recovery work for that 1st week...especially as a new runner...6 days after your 1/2 should have been when you started serious training again, not racing a 5k for a PR. Be happy that you got the same 5k time, and that you didn't hurt yourself. Remember that we tear down in training, and build up in recovery. That's why you taper before a big race, so your body recovers and is stronger. don;t be afraid to cycle your training back 40-60% every 4-5 weeks, for a week, to allow your body recover and catch up to the progress you're making.

P.S. AWESOME JOB! That's a GREAT time for a 1st 1/2 marathon...:) Be VERY proud of your work and your results...:)
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Oh...and if you're serious about lower times in the 5k, go get a free training plan from runner's world or somewhere. Or find a running coach to help you. Speed work is the way to go (intervals, tempo, fartleks, sprints, etc). Good luck!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Awesome! That is a great time. I decided since january that I want to run a half-marathon this fall and I started running every day. Gotten the shin splints 3 weeks ago and was told to take a break and ease back into it so I've been doing the training on an elliptical in the meantime, lifting weights, and starting to ease back into it again this week.
  • kgrutch
    Oh...and if you're serious about lower times in the 5k, go get a free training plan from runner's world or somewhere. Or find a running coach to help you. Speed work is the way to go (intervals, tempo, fartleks, sprints, etc). Good luck!

thanks for the tips. i have been doing intervals, sprints, inclines but obviously not enough. i will go to runners world and see what they have,. i will also explain, i did not do much training in the week post 1/2 marathon but i mean the training for the past 4-5 weeks (pre 1/2). i should have not have run that 5K but i had promised a friend i would, lol and then didnt even see her there.
This discussion has been closed.