Oatmeal: Anyway to make it less mushy?

Options

Replies

• lindseyrh
    Options
    I make a baked oatmeal that is delicious, and it has 4 servings that re-heat well, so you can make it once and have it for breakfast for several days! It is also very adaptable to whatever you have on hand! Here is a link to the recipe that I use:
    http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/09/12/baked-oatmeal-with-fruit/

I use fat-free skim milk and honey (approx. 3 Tbsp.) in place of the maple syrup. As she states, any fruit on hand is good in this! We really like it with raspberries and bananas (even made a fall version with pumpkin butter in place of sweetener!)! Also, to make prep faster in the morning, I'll mix up all the dry ingredients the night before. It only takes about 5 minutes to put it together in the morning and is sooo yummy!!!
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said:

1. Use 'old fashioned' oats, not instant.

2. Use less liquid. Try starting with equal amounts liquid and oats, adding more liquid if needed. (So 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup milk.)

The important thing when cooking porridge is to stir, stir, stir, so don't go away and leave it. Keep a watchful eye on the consistency as it cooks.

I'd also suggest:

Experimenting with a sturdier grain, like rye flakes or spelt. (Caution: may not be delicious.)

Baking your oats into granola or chewy granola bars.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I make a baked oatmeal that is delicious, and it has 4 servings that re-heat well, so you can make it once and have it for breakfast for several days! It is also very adaptable to whatever you have on hand! Here is a link to the recipe that I use:
    http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/09/12/baked-oatmeal-with-fruit/

Am going to try this, thanks!

(Without the quarter cup of maple syrup :wink: )
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Don't buy instant..buy the REAL stuff, then don't cook it until it's mush. On another note...as a kid we would eat (at my aunt's house) instant oatmeal with cold milk (we didn't cook it) and I still like it that way.

Buy steel cut oats and again...don't cook it so long, let it stay a little firm.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cookie or bar form it?
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't like it mushy and I usually use the instant as its quicker. I add less water/milk to it and throw in some walnuts, dried fruit, etc and stir and warm it up a little. I feel like I'm eating cookie dough...but its healthy AND filling. a win/win!! :tongue:
  • Montanarush
    Options
    use the old-fashioned whole grain oatmeal. the quick oatmeal get mushier than it does. also boil water first and then add, and don't overcook. it will still be a little mushy but the texture is more dry. one more thing, if you let it sit for a few minutes after you take it off the heat, it will harden up a little. I eat it a lot, thats how i know.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For some strange reason I've always been the kind of person that needed foods to feel a certain way. Mushy is fine with certain vegetables, desserts, and fruits, but so far it's become a problem with oatmeal.

Is there any way I can make it so that it is less mush, and more solid? Does it have to be somewhat mushy, or could I just eat it dry? Thanks!

The only way to do it is to bake it! I love baked oatmeal bars for breakfast. I add peanut butter and hemp protein powder with a little brown sugar. It's delicious.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    cookies? mmm.
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Use Quaker "Steel Cut" Oats stays crunchy and much better for you.

Great suggestion - it is my morning go-to breakfast. Latest trick is to make it on a sunday and put it in the fridge. Come the weekday mornings, a splash of skim milk, a stir and then into the microwave. Nutty, with some "tooth" to it. Have taken to stirring in some frozen blueberries to cool it off and add a bit of antioxidant

A GREAT way to start the day
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I was going to joke around and say don't eat it. I read the post replies and now curious about the steel oats. I will buy some today at Walmart.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the texture of oatmeal either.

I like to mix dry old fashioned oats, peanut butter and a splash of maple syrup together. No water or milk and don't cook it. It's delicious and gooey/chewy rather than mushy.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Use Quaker "Steel Cut" Oats stays crunchy and much better for you.

^this. I hate mushy oatmeal too.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal for one from chocolate covered katie:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/11/11/check-out-my-oatmeal-cake/

I went to this website and literally made a homer simpson sound and not on purpose either. I will be having oatmeal all week
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Use steel cut oats.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i put apples in mine to give it a crunch
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not making instant, you can change the texture of your oatmeal by using less (or more) water in the cooking process.

^^ This ^^
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    echo the steel cut oats and don't cook them as long as directions say. You will get a nice, nutty crunch.
  • sc0ttie
    Options
    Eat it dry.....
  • paintedpixie
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal for that very reason. I fill it with yummy goodies like almonds, diced apples and pears, currants, flax meal...etc. google some recipes. You can bake it in jumbo muffin tins for perfect portions and then freeze extras.