odd question that i need an answer for

Options
so im not dieting im just eating small portions ok, well i was wondering do you weight chicken or fish before or after being cooked and what about hamberger meat???
and what is a portion size look like all together??? in one plate??? im sorta confused

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Weigh before cooking on all meats.
    I typically use small 7in/salad plates for dinner so I feel better about how it looks on my plate. Depending on your goals/macros your plate might be 1/3 meat, 1/3 veggie, 1/3 carb. Or 1/2 veggie, 1/4 meat, 1/4 carb.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You want to weigh your meats (any of them) before you cook them.

And the portion sizes are going to vary, most people look up the standard single serving of what they are eating and go with that. Such as a Hamburger, most hamburger patties come in 1/4lb size, there are 16oz to 1lb so it would be 4oz of hamburger for every serving. Does that make sense?

Most of it will depend on what you are eating, though I will say that it is considerably easier to count calories/fats/sugars etc, then trying to guess a portion size based upon looking at it.
  • aliparker4
    aliparker4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Typically before and about a deck of cards should be around 4oz if you're eyeballing it when eating out somewhere... Not the most technical response you'll get, I'm sure :/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. I use the standard 'eyeball' method - 1 serving of meat is approx. the size of a fist or deck of cards.

For veggies, fruits and grains I measure by cups (standard US measuring cup), but I usually eyeball those too.