New Girl on The Block

Hey everyone!

I just started a weight loss regimen with a personal trainer. I'm allowed to have 1400 calories a day (which I have already found is pretty difficult). I think my biggest challenges are going to be actually tracking my food and not underestimating. I bought a scale, but have yet to use it. Do you guys feel that the scale is helpful? Or should I just use measuring cups.

I'm welcome to any tips/tricks that kept you honest with tracking and measuring out portions! Thanks, I'm excited to be here!

Replies

• I do measure my meat with a scale and measure everything else with cups. It's hard at first but wort it in the end.
  • What is the acceptable amount of meat to eat? Like for a chicken breast, is it 4 oz? Or somewhere around there?
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Hi and welcome :). Yes, I believe for women 3-4 ounces is a healthy serving which they say should be about the size of a deck of cards. I agree with the poster above, a scale is the only way for me to measure meat beacuse ham for example, the way it's cut, the deck of cards thing doesn't work :/. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    A kitchen scale is essential - you will learn to estimate portions after a few weeks but at first you will be amazed how much some food weighs - and little some other foods weigh.
    I use an electronic scale that lets me reset to zero each time I weigh an item of the meal.

I usually have 50 grams of meat - beef or lamb or chicken (my wife is allergic to pork) - that is about one and a half ounces.

You don't look as if you need to cut that much so 100 grams should be fine.
  • A kitchen scale is essential - you will learn to estimate portions after a few weeks but at first you will be amazed how much some food weighs - and little some other foods weigh.
    I use an electronic scale that lets me reset to zero each time I weigh an item of the meal.

I usually have 50 grams of meat - beef or lamb or chicken (my wife is allergic to pork) - that is about one and a half ounces.

You don't look as if you need to cut that much so 100 grams should be fine.

I need to lose 42 lbs, but thank you!
  • FrancisCV7
    FrancisCV7 Posts: 123 Member
    I started off just using measuring cups, and estimating weight of chicken breasts. I had bought a kitchen scale a couple weeks ago and just pulled it out for use today, and lemme tell ya how surprised I was at how small 3 oz of cooked chicken actually was!! However, I feel it'll definitely be more useful down the road for me. Good luck with your weight loss goals, having a personal trainer will definitely help keep your exercising on track!! Feel free to add me for extra motivation and support :)