Do you count 'healthy' binges?

Options
Obviously a surplus of 600 calories of chocolate is bad for you, but if you ate roughly that amount of calories over in fruit, nuts or vegetables and other very natural things, would you count that as a binge?
and would that kind of overeating make you nervous about slowing down weight loss?

Replies

• GoatBoat66
    Options
    I wouldn't consider eating 600 calories of anything a binge. But 600 calories of vegetables and 600 calories of chocolate will have the same impact on weight loss - If you have an energy surplus then your body will store the excess as fat, regardless of what it is.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Any type of binge isn't healthy. A surplus of let's say 600 calories every day will make you gain weight, whether it is 600 chocolate calories or 600 almond calories. The bigger issue would be why are you compelled to binge and how can you stop it?

I agree that 600 calories doesn't sound like binge territory.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    600 calories is 600 calories no matter where it came from.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    As I am currently tracking my nutrition, I count everything. There is no binging just mostly predictable results of my behavior.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's still 600 calories over your calorie limit. Too much of anything is not good for you!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Regardless of where it came from, calories are calories. I would count it BUT one "binge" is not going to set you back, only if you are consistently over.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi - yes binge or not, I record it all in my diary....even though it may be healthier foods (which is a good thing) it is still going to hurt you if it puts you over calories, or makes you feel bad about yourself, etc.

This is really an educational journey and by recording it all, you will learn more about you and what makes you tick.

Ask yourself why you binged/overate! And, how you could have prevented it or dealt with whatever was going on to make you do it. Ya know, exam your feelings and think about other alternatives.

Best!
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definitely. It's a problem (for me, anyway) when I want to eat eat eat even though I'm not actually hungry and I'm completely satisfied with a meal I just had. It's been an ongoing battle since I was little. If that means I have two bowls of fruit with granola and orange juice, I still count that as a binge because, like everyone said, it's over the calorie limit.
  • charlottedawnay
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I got fat on second servings of healthful food, so yeah.
  • mlcastle
    Options
    600 calories of most vegetables would be a lot of food, I know I would be very full after eating 600 calories of veg . 600 calories of junk is usually not that much food. what I'm saying is that it would be much easier to consume 600 calories of junk, but yes in the end 600 calories is 600 calories.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, let's be clear- a binge is excessive eating over which the person has no control. So splurging and eating some cookies and an ice cream isn't a binge.

That being said, it would depend. If a person was legitimately binging (that is, eating uncontrollably and in vast quantities) it wouldn't really matter WHAT they're eating. Binging on carrots is just as bad as binging on cookies because binging often has an emotional trigger that needs to be addressed.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole 15 lb watermelon in under 3 days by myself. And counted it. It's "healthy" because it's fruit (but WHOA the sugar) so I try not to beat myself up over it, but it still counts.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It depends on your mentality. I count it as a binge if I feel compulsed to eat it and slightly out of control. Like last week, I had a pack of trail mix in my backpack and had a handful. I felt this need to eat another and another even though I was already plenty full. I finished the whole thing, which was probably 400 calories max, but still felt like that was binging.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A binge is an episode of uncontrolled eating.

It doesn't matter WHAT you ate.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    wishful thinking!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Either you count calories or you don't. It's a trivial concept, despite your best attempts to complicate it.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    A binge is an episode of uncontrolled eating.

It doesn't matter WHAT you ate.

Exactly. Usually happens to me with PB. No more eating out of the jar!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know if it was a "binge" or a meal. food is food and a calorie is a calorie...all to be counted no matter what it was!