1st day logging on MFP, head is pounding!

Options
Hi guys,

It's my first day logging, I'm eating every 3 hours on the dot but the time in between meals feels like an eternity :ohwell: Not to mention that it feels like someone is pounding on my head with a hammer :frown: I hope it gets easier as the days go on... I've been yo-yoing my weight for the last 4 years and I've decided to put an end to dieting and eat what I want but just watch my intake. I started seeing someone for the binge eating but I can't afford to continue so I all I can do is take it a day at a time and just pray to be given the mental strength I need to finally make a change and free myself from my unhealthy habits.

Wish me luck... hopefully one day I will be able to write my own success story.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Do you normally only drink .25 cup of coffee? Just asking because if you're tying to cut down on caffeine that can cause headaches too.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you are getting a headache by waiting 3 hours between meals? 3 hours is just a guideline. you should listen to you body and eat when you are hungry.

Include lots of good proteins for meals and snacks. That will control cravings and hunger pangs.

Have started an exercise routine yet? I started with Lesilie Sansone DVDs and built my way up to 5 miles.

Good luck in your journey. Its a life long change and take baby steps to reach your goals.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You've definitely taken a step into the right direction, but I think it's important to do it in a way that's sustainable and effective at the same time. It can be tough to make many huge changes at once, so I would suggest changing one thing a week for the next few weeks. That makes it manageable, cuts down on the proverbial and literal headaches and gets you on the right path for what you're trying to accomplish.
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It will definitely get better. Just make sure to take each change as you can bear it - cutting out caffeine, sugar, and anything else that stresses you will definitely cause a headache for a short time. I promise you it will go away as you get used to not having it though :) Add me if you want support!
  • judyewright
    judyewright Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing about caffeine. When I tried to cut coffee cold turkey (before realizing potentional withdrawal symptoms) - I had the worst headaches I'd ever experienced, vomiting, chills, etc. Don't go cold turkey, ease yourself off of coffee if you feel it's necessary.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest cutting out coffee. One cup per day is a great source of antioxidants and diabetes prevention.

Also, if you are eating as clean as possible and avoiding a lot of processed foods you should not be hungry on this program.
  • candctaber
    Options
    Welcome & best of luck!!! If you are getting a headache I would eat more often & make sure you are eating protein. I have low blood sugar & will get headaches from time to time. Maybe you need a little sugar...

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! First day is always the hardest - actually right now all I want to do is eat -the 3pm urge! I have some whole almonds around that I'm munching on. Try and keep healthy snacks on hand. Feel free to add me!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't go off the coffee and soda all at once. The cafeeine withdrawals are excrutiating. Just cut back slowly.

Also, if you are a binge eater, you probably ate a lot of sugar. Sugar withdrawal can also be painful. . . so unless you are being medically supplemented, you may want to slowly wean yourself from the sugar as well. You probably won't want to quit caffeine and sugar forever, so learning to manage your intake is much more effective, long-term.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Check out this forum...see what you think. You may be eating an inadequate amount of calories. Most people start at 1200 ( I did), We all need to eat above our BMR which, is always (IMO) higher than 1200:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • transformationofsoul
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Do you normally only drink .25 cup of coffee? Just asking because if you're tying to cut down on caffeine that can cause headaches too.

Hi, thank you. In regards to the coffee, I do not drink american coffee. I am Latina and a slave to what we latinos call 'Cafe con Leche' which I believe is equivalent to a latte? I like my coffee very light so it's basically more milk than coffee.
  • transformationofsoul
    Options
    Check out this forum...see what you think. You may be eating an inadequate amount of calories. Most people start at 1200 ( I did), We all need to eat above our BMR which, is always (IMO) higher than 1200:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Hi,
    I just read a little on upping your calories and it hits home especially that I'm struggling with an eating disorder. I haven't been able to keep the weight off because every time I complete a super restrictive diet the binge that follows is Armageddon. I'm just wondering how much am I suppose to eat if I did wanted to up my calories? I've wasted four years of my life dieting, I'm ready to do something real for my health. I know that I've done damage to my body and I want to repair it. Any information will help... MFP is new to me so please bear with me while I adapt to this place.

Thanks in advance,
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Educate yourselves about clean foods and then you will not have to worry about calorie counting or deprivation. I like books like The Abs Diet, Master Your Metabolism by Jillian , Eat Clean diet books by Tosca Reno. That will give you a starting point.