Lost and having hard time getting up

Options
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for reading this.

I was going at a good clip with weight loss and working out until last May when I got sick. I spent all summer with doctors trying to figure out what happened that day when I was working out and my head exploded in pain unlike I ever felt before. I do have a history of migraines and know what those are, but this was different. I was afraid because I forgot how to spell, my surroundings became unfamiliar and cooking became a chore. I couldn't even eat because I was so nauseated. All that started to come back with a little time and the help of Google and my dictionary. I spent many hours in doctors offices and had many tests. Sure my doctor has his theory but until it happens again there's nothing concrete. I also spent all summer with many painful headaches, not migraines. By the end of the summer he decided to put me on meds to treat the symptoms and then said "you should only walk" because we don't want a repeat of this. WHAT?!!! That is not at all what I want. I want to get back to my Shaun T (which I was doing when this happened) and what about my other dvd's? I want to get an MMA workout and, and, and so on. I want to do things, and I don't want feel like I'm 80yrs old! However, I'm having a hard time getting past this awful mental block.

My mom has never acknowledged the weight that I have lost or the effort I put into trying and just says "you've always looked the same to me" and this morning said "well look at us, we're both fat." Poor mom, I don't think she means it, she just doesn't watch what comes out of her mouth sometimes. She wants praise for loosing 2lbs, so I give it to her to keep the peace. However, it took all my patience not to say anything in response to this mornings comment. She thought the 5k I did last March was a waist of time. Yes, I walked it but I had the time of my life and I gave something to the community. I would like to be able to run one someday.

What would you guys do... follow doc's orders or jump in with both feet? and how would you handle negative people?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    As an ex-migraine sufferer with a mother who never had a kind word to say about me, I feel uniquely qualified here :laugh:

You really can cause more trouble than you want by exercising too hard. Migraines are caused by vaso-dilation. Exercise causes your blood vessels to dilate. You should always err on the side of medical advice. Keep researching, you will find the key to your migraines. But in the meantime, you can still lose your weight by watching your food intake and walking. I lost all of my weight that way, and I've kept it off. . . migraine-free.

The Mom thing. I tried for many years to educate my mother about how to speak more kindly. It isn't possible. They have their own beliefs and insecurities and you are not the one to change that. The best you can do is realize at this point that it is not what kind of a mother she is, but what kind of a daughter you are. Do your best to ignore her comments that sting. It is who she is....try to be kind. If she becomes too overbearing, you can always leave or hang up the phone.

When she is gone, you will always be glad for the kindness you showed her.

• Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd want to know what your erythrocyte sedimentation rate is or was, your coagulation profile, what your MRA results are/were, and I'd like to see your head MRI or CT first. Those are pretty serious symptoms that could mean you might have had a transient ischemic attack, or that you may have had a vascular spasm in your brain, or that you could have a berry aneurysm... I'm sure your doctor did the tests to investigate which it was and wasn't... so I'd call him up and discuss it with him to get a more clear picture of what's going on. Don't go against what he told you until you're clear about the process going on.
  • 2idjane
    2idjane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you are having such difficult time! I am also so proud of you for doing the 5K despite your health issues. Many people would just say "screw it".

I would take it easy and gradually get back to working out. Have you thought about trying yoga for weight loss? It may even help with your headaches/migraines. Just listen to your body and don't overwork yourself :)

As for the negativity, I would try to not take it personal. My mom and sisters would put me down, as a way to motivate me, which is not effective motivation by the way!! Because I learned that I cannot control the way they think or act, I just don't take the comments to heart. Instead, practice positive self talk!! It also helps to surround yourself around positive people....like here on MFP!
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started a much longer answer to this, and it blinked away, so I'll shorten it.

I had brain surgery a year ago. The healing that I had to do was literally all in my head--nerves and bone. I was told to only do walking as exercise for a while, and with good reason--because my body needed to spend its energies healing my brain and the tissue between my brain and skull. That took priority over anything else.

I started being able to exercise about April after my surgery in October--and started MFP in June. I have come a long way, but only because I started with baby steps and took my time.

You will get there, and don't let anyone else put you down along the way.

:) PM me if you like, and check out the Acoustic Neuroma group on FB. :)
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A few things:

First of all, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but you're strong and you can keep going! Think of it as just something that happened to alter your path a little bit. Don't dwell on it. I know, easier said than done, but keeping a positive attitude really does help!

I would definitely follow the advice of your doctor! Especially since you're not really sure what's going on. Own your walks. Embrace them, love them. Do something to make them awesome. Create the best walking playlist ever or treat yourself to an audio book from iTunes or audible.com that you're only allowed to listen to on your walks.

Someone suggested yoga, which normally I would totally be in favor of, but even gentle yoga might not be the best in this situation. Definitely check with your doctor first and if he okays it, go to a group yoga class instead of doing a video. There are many yoga postures that are big no-nos for people who suffer from headaches (if it gives me any authority on the subject in your eyes, I'm a certified yoga instructor). Definitely let your instructor know your health situation before class so they will be able to modify postures for you as needed. Many yoga studios also have meditation classes. It may sound hippy-crunchy and useless, but if yoga peaks your interest but the doc says no, you may be interested in that. It doesn't really burn any calories, but it's a practice in discipline, just like working out. Plus it can put you in a good headspace for dealing with stress and the negative people in your life.

Good luck!! Smile at yourself next time you see a mirror and tell yourself you're awesome.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. These are beautiful responses and I appreciate them so much...more than words can express