How to eat healthy when you dont have time to cook??

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    healthy snake bars low in sugar

Do you shell out for real snake, or do you buy the cheap substitute that pops out of a can and scares you?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the crock pot-so easy!!

Also, spending a couple of hours on the weekend prepping casseroles and freezing is great. Any leftovers you have can be portioned and individually frozen for later use. :smile:
  • Morgantam
    Options
    I do the same. Except I try to make two different protein choices so my hubby and I have some variation in the week. But, yeah, plan and cook on an off night, or, sometimes I do partial meals, e.g. make the starch portion and freeze, then I only have to pan fry some fish filet to make a yummy nutritious meal. Save some time by prepping food in advance, e.g. cut up parsley and freeze, then voila instant garnish at dinner time.

I make my meals on sunday night.

I cook up 5 boneless chicken breasts. I also cook up 5 servings of Quinoa in my rice cooker. When it's all cooked and cooled, I throw a serving of chicken, quinoa and throw a couple handfuls of frozen broccoli in a reusable container. Freeze.

For my breakfasts I throw 1/3 cup rolled oats into 5 containers. Add 1/8 cup craisins to each. Put on the counter.

Put 1/2 cup of greek yogurt in 5 containers. Add 1 cup of frozen fruit. Freeze.

First thing in the morning, I throw one of each in my lunch bag, add a banana and an orange and i'm off.

Yes, I eat the same thing almost every day during the day. I leave the exciting stuff for dinners and weekends.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you dont need to "cook from scratch"
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

*shivers*
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Do you shell out for real snake, or do you buy the cheap substitute that pops out of a can and scares you?

:laugh:
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking!! I am the queen of assembly! I buy ready made salads, just need to toss and serve... steam in the bag broccoli or green beans....then I toss them with a bit of olive oil and crushed garlic, throw a few sweet potatoes in the oven on a sunday and they are good for a few days.... uncle ben's bistro brown rice...cooked chicken strips - heat and serve on salad, dice and saute with a bit of pesto on pasta...prime stuffed chicken breasts - place on pan and throw in oven! And don't forget about eggs for dinner! fast and easy!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Create your own "fast food" by cooking on the weekends (or whatever your days off) then freeze. I'm not offering more details on that one because I love love love to experiment with new techniques and recipes. If I can't try new things, I get bored and will revert back to convenience-food-Jane. So whatever I make on the weekend, I freeze or refrigerate for use during the week.

Also, one of my favorite fast things is the stir-fry. A stir-fry, done correctly, only takes 6-8 minutes from start to finish (not including prep time to cut the meat and veggies). You can use frozen or canned veggies, if you like, but it's super easy to do all the veggie prep on the weekend and separate into "stir-fry" size containers. (I only cook for myself and don't make enough for left-overs when I'm cooking stir-fry, so "stir-fry" size for me means what I'll eat for one meal.) I usually wait until right before I start cooking to cut the meat, though. I'm not as comfortable having that sit around in my fridge. For help on how to stir-fry, a Google search yields a lot. You'll be cooking with the temp all the way up on high. Stir-fry is all about cooking fast at very high temps. Also, I would invest in a wok. They're designed for the purpose.

(Those prepackaged frozen dinners are awful. Completely empty calories, so you're starving 5 minutes later.)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of heated food. I do just fine with yogurt and granola or a sandwich for dinner. Breakfast for dinner is also easy and can be healthy-eggs, pancakes with whole wheat mix, ect.
  • sbr016
    sbr016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ah....snack :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I pre-cook for the week on Sundays. I make a breakfast, lunch and dinner dish for the week. Usually a casserole of some sort, quiches, soups, stews etc. work really well. I also grill up some chicken, pre-pack some salad, make snacksize baggies of trail mix ahead of time. It's about two hours of work on Sundays and leaves me free to do whatever during the week.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    crock pot recipes and mixed salad greens from the market
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make my breakfasts and lunches for the week on Sundays. I have time to make dinner at night, but if I don't I have a salad. I have the lettuce in a bag and mixed veggies in a bag and pre cooked steak strips. It is good and keeps me full for a while. I don't use the crock pot often because I wake up and give myself just enough time to get out the door and make it to work on time. I am not a morning person ha. I also keep light canned soups handy, just in case. Good luck. :)
  • I love to cook and cooking has been something I have enjoyed doing for friends and family my entire adult life. However, right now it just is not possible for me to feel motivated to cook due the stress of my husband's cancer and visiting nurses and hospice. The stress has lead me to cut my list of things to do. and food shopping and cooking were the first to go. I am insistant that my husband eat organic and healthy everything, and we are lucky to live in an area that has a wonderful meal delivery business. Here in Seattle we have 'Kitchen Door' and the meals are wonderful. Every Friday I order for the upcoming week and the meals are delivered to our door on Tuesday where I put them in the fridge or freezer, depending on what they are.

I don't know if ordering meals is something you are even interested in doing, but it has been a wonderful for us.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bump this so I can read it later... I don't have time to read the post about not having time to cook.. what am i doing with my life?????
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i personally hate crockpot cooking because its too hard to make a tiny bit for just 1 or 2 people. So you end up eating the same thing for days. I also do not cook.

They make mini crockpots. I live alone and use my mini. It's a great way to "cook" without really cooking. You just chop and toss it all together; put the lid on, and forget about it for a couple hours.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Crockpots are great. You name it and it can be done in the crockpot. I have put some white northern beans in a bowl to soak overnight. When my child goes to school, I will rinse and let them cook all day. I have three different sizes. While you are studying you can put food in crockpot and freeze later. Walmart carry the storage bag saver that you can hand pump the air out of your bags and then freeze.This is cheaper than buying the vacuum seal. Go online and research proper way to freeze meals and crockpot meals. Good luck and don't give up on your healthier eating habits.
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com
    http://www.preparedpantry.com
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-slow-cooker-chicken/
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I just bought a nutribullet. LOVE IT !
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    From someone that works full time with a few night meetings a week, goes to school part time for a graduate degree, and has a family-including an almost-4 year old--- Become friends with a slowcooker OR do all your cooking on the weekend. I have switched back and forth between the two options.

Currently, I cook for 3 of us on Sat & Sun and then rely on leftovers to get us through the majority of the week. Also, I hang a calendar of my food in the kitchen so the boy knows how many more times I'm planning on eating each meal. For instance, if I make buffalo chicken lasagna and plan to eat it Tuesday & Wednesday, he will make sure I still have two servings left.

This is my life as well. Add multiple sports. I make it work. You have to learn to love your crockpot. And you need to make your health a priority. Excuses don't get in the way of priorities.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, nuts, veggies and hummus, fruit and cottage cheese, make sandwiches the night before, cook up a bunch of chicken on the weekends and have it ready to go for the week, tuna in the pouch, hard boil eggs and keep them on hand as a "grab and go" snack, frozen steam fresh bags of veggies ... All quick and easy ... Where the is a will there is a way ...