Atkins Diet

Options
Had anyone tried the Atkins diet? Pros and cons please

Replies

• Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im currently doing low carb and really enjoying it, I feel that I'm less hungry in general, I feel less bloated and have lost 5lb in 3 weeks since starting, at a start weight of 127lb and 5'2.
    X
  • Marlene_2012
    Marlene_2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on paleo diet(LCHF). It's like atkins.
    I am very satisfied. Paleo doesnt have bad sides :D
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins for a while and it did work - I lost about 10 pounds on it. However I never felt quite right when I was on it. Even when I was full I had that funny feeling in my stomach that I have when I am fasting.

I do think the idea of reducing refined carbs is a good one though. I was on the Zone diet for a while and I like the concept of balancing carbs, protein and fats and mnaking sure the carbs are good carbs. That is kind of the basis for what I eat now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started Atkins June 18. I'm down 50 pounds. I take a lot less naps. I have more energy. My heartburn is gone on the days I don't overeat carbs. I get up much earlier in the morning. The fat and protein keeps me feeling satisfied. I like it. I'll probably restrict carbs the rest of my life.
  • TracyRoadman85
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I started last Thursday and just wanted to see what other people thought.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and lost 40lbs - QUICK. However I love carbs and it was not a long term lifestyle I could live with. Once I started eating "normal" again I put the weight back on. It took a year to put back but I added it plus some. It depends on you if you are a carb lover than I don't recommend it for you but if bread, pasta, etc. are things you can live without than more power to you! Either way good luck.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Atkins going on two years now. Besides the weight loss, my heartburn went away, my snoring stopped, my blood pressure is in normal range, my back pain is gone. I have tons of energy, I never need an afternoon nap anymore, I don't feel bloated, I never feel hungry, and I never feel like I over ate, either. People will say that they can not give up carbs forever, but each time I go to the grocery store, I see a new low-carb product. I was just at the grocery store last weekend and saw a new low-carb Betty Crocker cake mix AND low-carb frosting made with Splenda. A little higher on the carbs than I want to go right now, but there are tons of option out there, and you don't have to feel like you're sacrificing carbage for the rest of your life! Restaurants are offering low-carb options. It's really a matter of making a choice for yourself, and sticking to it.
    Good luck!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    The Atkins diet is a 70% FAT, 5% CARB, 20% PROTEIN diet.. remember this when doing it and you will feel great, burn fat for fuel, reshape your body, and (after the initial transition phase where you go from sugar-burner to fat-burner) feel amazing. For awhile, I was perfectly sane on 7 hours of sleep. This is marvelous for me.. a chronic 9-10 hour sleeper who still felt like a zombie afterward!
    PROS:
    Satiating. Really. Sometimes I eat 1-2 meals a day.
    Access to foods that nourish the body. Feeds your cells (made of fat and protein), your brain (60% fat).
    Realigns the blood sugar and insulin levels. Fat and protein for energy keep the blood sugar stable, instead of spiking it.

CONS:
    Can feel restricting if you are attached to carbohydrates.
    May make holiday parties, birthdays, and bake sales really uncomfortable for you.
    You will get flack from family and friends about your eating. If you see the benefits in the diet for you, then this shouldn't be an issue.
    In fact, the success of this diet is TRULY in believing in what you are doing. So get some research, try it out, and prove to YOURSELF that you believe in the diet.. and you will enjoy every minute of it! :)
    I'm a naturopathic student, and have done a ton of research if you'd like some documents. But again, this is a huge reason why I'm still doing it 3 months later!!

Good luck to you, whatever you end up deciding on!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and lost 40lbs - QUICK. However I love carbs and it was not a long term lifestyle I could live with. Once I started eating "normal" again I put the weight back on. It took a year to put back but I added it plus some. It depends on you if you are a carb lover than I don't recommend it for you but if bread, pasta, etc. are things you can live without than more power to you! Either way good luck.

It sounds like you didn't go up the carb ladder properly during the OWL stage. I've raised my carbs to 75/day which allows me some bread, pasta, etc., in small amounts. Sometimes I'm way under, sometimes way over, sometimes I bank carbs to spend at social events where I know there will be carb choices I want to splurge on. Sometimes I just eat more carbs without having any banked and then just do a good workout after to help burn them off. I find it quite easy to still enjoy some carbs while maintaining a lower-carb lifestyle. Feeling better and keeping the weight off long-term is more important to me than constant splurging that always results in a gain and makes me feel crappy if splurged on too much. Obviously, YMMV.

Edited to fix quote formatting.