Help!!

Options
I need some encouragement & support... I have been very inconsistent with using the site but I want to stay motivated & stay on track. I am more concerned with making time for exercise than anything else. I am a full time worker, more often than not, I work more than 40 hours a week. I have 3 children who all need to be taken to soccer practice or singing lessons or need help with homework. I can't seem to find the time to take care of myself... HELP!!! I need tricks to fit exercise into my everyday. How do I make myself understand that this should be a top priority?? I mean, I am saying it, I know it... I just can't DO it... Why not?? Am I self sabotaging? If so, how do I stop this insane behavior?

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary...let's look there first.....
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have four kids who are also involved in a ton of activities, a full time job, and a hubby who is gone a LOT. So I understand how hard it is. But if you really want to do it, you just have to find time for it. When I first started walking, I was actually getting up at 430 in the morning and walking before anyone got up. Now I get to work about 20 minutes early and do laps around the building. Then I spend 40 mintes of my 60 minute lunch break walking also. We also have a recumbent bike at my house now, so I ride that whenever i do have a down moment that I am watching T.V. etc. You can do it too, you just have to squeeze it in somewhere!
  • CaptainPhil
    CaptainPhil Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find time everyday to take 15 minutes to log all your food. You would be surprised how much this really helps. Keeps you focused, and when you have a good day it is a REWARD to write down your food.

Exercise - find SOME way to do a little every day. Get your KIDS to go walk with you. While they are at soccer, walk circles around the field.

You CAN succeed with very little change in your life.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and soundtrack LOL

I am down almost 40 pounds using this same system and formula. If you need help, motivation, a kick in the *kitten*, or whatever let me know.
  • jennide
    jennide Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You are right, I'm sure but I do not have time for a diary either! :) But I hear what you are saying & I thank you for bringing it up. I'm sure I have issues in my head that may be holding me back. Perhaps I should talk to someone about that. Thank you!!
  • jennide
    Options
    Thank you Deb, You have some great ideas!! I will try to wake up to get some exercise in before work.

CaptainPhil, You are wise beyound your years, & I thank you!! I'm sure I will need lots of kicks in the *kitten* & I thank you for volenteering!!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I fit my exercise in at 6:00 AM. I set out my exercise clothes in the hall the night before, roll out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off; hit the bathroom, put my clothes on in the hall and head out the door to Curves, which is a 7-minute drive away. I'm back at the house by 6:50, ready to jump in the shower and start my day. I'm exercised and ready for anything by 7:15.

Why 6:00 AM? Because it's over and done with before I can really think about it. I never have to experience pangs of 'exercise guilt' throughout the rest of the day. I don't have to gear myself up for anything. I've already done it before I'm fully conscious. Works for me.

If you have small kids that get up early, hubby can just step up to the plate and pitch in for the 30 minutes you're gone. Or leave them to their own devices. How much damage could they do? [That was a joke]

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Sprmc47
    Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can always email me and request me as a friend. I also have a busy life and will help you!
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Don't think you have to have a big block of time to exercise. Do 10 minutes at a time. Get up 10 minutes early. Do some calisthenics. Take a 10 minute walk at lunch time. Do 10 minutes before you fix dinner. Everybody can either wait that long or help. Do deep knee bends while doing dishes. Walk around the soccer field while the kids practice. Find opportunities. Remember you are setting an example to your kids. And also remember if you take care of yourself you will have better health and more energy to help your family.
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Exercise - find SOME way to do a little every day. Get your KIDS to go walk with you. While they are at soccer, walk circles around the field.

This is great advice! I actually started doing this during the fall season for both my son and my daughter. It was better than sitting on my butt while the kids were running out there on the field. I actually started to get disappointed when it was getting darker a little earlier and the practice time was cut short! I have a few walking DVDs that I use now that it is too dark for practice. Find a way to fit exercise into your day. It does not even have to be every day. Start small. Give yourself 20 minutes a few times a week. You can gradually increase it. Do it for yourself AND your family. You are so worth it!!!!
  • holdthis
    holdthis Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect place for support and encouragement! It is hard with Fulltime work and Fulltime parenting, but the good news is you have less time to cheat! lol I find idle time is when I induldge in the naughty food! Start with a pedometer. And see if you can just add a few extra steps into your day. While at soccer practice walk the field. I dunno just some suggestions. And add some good supportive friends on here!
    Good luck and feel free to add.
    :happy:
  • casey882
    casey882 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i no the feeling never enuff hours in the day you just need to make the time i dont watch as much tv and go for walks instead and feel better for it feel free to add me
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another thing that has helped me has been replacing any down time that I do have with either sneaking in a quick walk and also picking up a magazine or two that focus on fit and healthy lifestyles. I think the more you surround yourself with health and fitness the more it inspires you. Back in August when I started this journey, I set a goal to become a healthier and more fit person in a year. Even before I noticed the pounds, I actually started FEELING better and that gives you quite a boost! You can DO IT!!!!!!
  • jennide
    Options
    I am LOVING all this support!!!! Thank you everyone!!
  • prattlass
    Options
    I think the trick for busy people is to integrate it into your life. Don't wait until you have picked up the whole first floor to carry things upstairs to put them away. Pick it up, take it to where it goes. If your kids are little enough that you have to be outside with them, don't just sit down and watch, DO SOMETHING. Don't park close to the grocery store, park ifar away (better for the condition of your car, too, fewer dings). My job sometimes requires me to travel and work long hours, making it feel impossible to get activity in. That's when you resort to incorporating it. Hopefully, we'll make it a lifelong pattern.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I used to say the same thing about time. I work full time, am doing a masters part time, I'm a mum and wife too. Before all of this I was a very busy woman then when I became a mum it stopped. After a heart to heart with my hubby I discovered how unhappy I was being over weight and out of condition. He asked why I didn't go back to doing what I used to do and mentioned time. Well he didn't let that be an excuse for me. He started using the gym and said that we can alternate days to do the fitness things we want to do. Now I am back doing Tae Kwon Do twice a week, running once a week and doing circuits at home 4 to 5 times a week. It is now a big part of my life and can be for as long as I want it to and I love it.:bigsmile:

We all have 24 hours in a day so look at the whole 24 hours and see where you can fit some form of exercise in.

All the best to you in your healthy lifestyle
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are right, I'm sure but I do not have time for a diary either! :)
    I choose this site primarily because of the app for my phone. I knew if that was not easy and quick I would not keep up with writing things down...<muttering something about being too busy> The app makes it so quick & easy. I also make a point of logging it BEFORE I eat. Since I have to finish logging before I can eat, guess what? Yep, I seem to have no trouble finding the time to log it :)

With the kids you can also plan weekend activities: something that involves moving around. I used to take the kids to the zoo, the park, local history museums, or just the nearby elementary school. Instead of having lunch, we'd make it a picnic - same food, no extra expense, just a bit of extra effort and a lot more fun!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have to do my workout first thing in the morning when I have the energy from a goon night's sleep. It gets me started for the day. I don't have the problem that you do. I don't work due to being totally physically disabled and currently can't do much due to recent major abdominal surgery, but I am returning to the gym/pool tomorrow and taking it easy so I don't hurt my incision and surgery. It is hard for me to get motivated due to the pain that I am in all the time. You really need to find the time to log your food and fit in some kind of exercise everyday. Feel free to add me for support and encouragement.