Atkins

Options
12346»

Replies

• Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Brians side of this conversation and agree wholeheartedly that signfiicantly reducing carbs (particularly refined, processed ones) kills the blood sugar rollercoaster that causes hunger and overeating. Yes tonight I will have some brown basmatii rice with my grilled salmon but I am DONE eating huge plates of pasta and tons of bread.

In the past month I have lost 23 lbs and havent been hungry at all. Eating lots of healthy proteins, nuts, beans, veggies as well as limited amounts of whole grains like brown basmati rice and quinoa. I try to keep my total carbs to around 100/day max.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Everyone is talking like I'm someone who has always struggled with my weight - I am not. I have just had a baby. I don't follow atkins to the extreme, I just eat lots of veg, salad and fish. Unhealthy? I think not.

As for losing weight only being hard when youre on a fad diet - no it's not. By that statement I meant it's hard to lose weight, as you have to sort out the emotional problems associated with gaining weight, and people often find it hard to get the motiviation and drive to lose weight.

I started this post as a general chat for people eating similar foods to myself to discuss recipe ideas etc...but thanks to the over opiniated people getting their two pence worth there is little chance of that. So I will start a new thread somewhere else. Thank you all for your opinions, but my eating habbits are my own business and no-one elses

Then you're not following Atkins - it's just low carb. (Atkins is low carb to the extreme - no more than 20g of carbs a day (this includes carbs from fruit & veggies).

This is only true for the first stage of the eating plan, and a big reason why this gets called a fad diet. Because people CHOOSE to treat it that way instead of doing the diet properly. You are only supposed to eat 20g of carbs for TWO WEEKS, not the duration of losing weight, but that is exactly what most people do, can't handle it, then fall off and say the diet doesn't work.

There are actually three steps to atkins and the reason for the 20 carbs is to help rid your body of carbs cravings. After those two weeks, you are supposed to move onto OWL (ongoing weight loss) where you start adding in carbs until you reach the amount that is right for you.

Every diet can be a fad diet, because a lot of people seem to think that once they get the weight off they can just go back to eating the way they used to. IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE for a reason, you need to change your behavior no matter what way you choose to eat. People that do low carb to lose the weight and then once they do go back to the way they used to eat, of course you are most likely going to gain weight back!! A lot of people like lower carb because those cravings for breads pastas etc do go away and if they do have them on occasion, it won't kill them.

People need to change their behaviors mentally and realize that they are ones getting in their own way most of the time.

Just my opinion :)

ETA - I do not follow Atkins but I have in the past, I do a low carb approach and also make sure my cals are between my BMR and TDEE, I cut out grains for the most part (I will eat them occasionally) and most fruit, still have 1 a day usually. I am around 130 carbs usually but I eat A LOT of veggies and gets lots of fiber that nets me below 100. I find my diet completely healthy. You don't have to eat bad processed food just because it is low carb, people choose to. I eat meats, veggies, light dairy, and I do not feel deprived at all.
  • tnkrbellsam
    Options
    Whoever said Atkins is just eating a whole pack of bacon wrapped around a hotdog obviously has not ready anything about Atkins. I've been doing it for going on 5 weeks and have never eaten so many veggies in my life!!!! Also my daily water intake has never been this good (except during my 3 pregnancies when I had to force it) Atkins is a personal choice and just like any other diet out there, it only works as good as you are willing to follow it.
  • anaodep
    anaodep Posts: 29
    Options
    I did it, lost 20 pounds, put 30 back on as soon as I eased carbs back in.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tryed Atkins a couple of years ago, and, while it worked really well, I believe that it slowed my metabolism down...I mean, think about it...there's a reason that winter is considered "the lean months".... and of course your metabolism would slow down so that you could survive until spring right? Just a theory here-no scienctific evidence except my big booty...and now I'm taking thyroid meds...didn't have a thyroid problem before Atkins...again no evidence that Atkins is to blame BUT....
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I tryed Atkins a couple of years ago, and, while it worked really well, I believe that it slowed my metabolism down...I mean, think about it...there's a reason that winter is considered "the lean months".... and of course your metabolism would slow down so that you could survive until spring right? Just a theory here-no scienctific evidence except my big booty...and now I'm taking thyroid meds...didn't have a thyroid problem before Atkins...again no evidence that Atkins is to blame BUT....

Correlation does not mean causation in this case, obviously.

All that matters, low carb or not, is that you find something sustainable that works for you! :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    its just a high protein way of living

dont see a problem

If you're doing low (adequate) carb properly then it's actually a high fat way of living, by percentage of calories.

Too much protein has it's own issues, dietary fat is where it is at.

IMO Atkins is too restrictive on veggies but I still prefer to be lower carb, always will, it's not a short term 'weight loss' thing for me, just the way my body is naturally set up to live.

Who wants to live off dietary energy (carbs) when our bodies can provide enough in stored fat/ketones?

No real hunger either, win-win :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    No real hunger either, win-win :)

Even if I hated LCHF, it's the delay in hunger that would make me keep doing it.

Don't have any more trouble putting the fork down nowadays.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Even if I hated LCHF, it's the delay in hunger that would make me keep doing it.

Don't have any more trouble putting the fork down nowadays.

Absolutely, it gets you more in touch with your body and what real hunger is, not just a blood sugar crash (and the inevitable rush for the next fix of easily digestible junk).

Once you are running off your own fat then the need to refuel every few hours is greatly reduced.

It was a liberation to me 6 months ago and it continues to be, I am in control of my intake.

Fat loss comes down to calories in the end, no doubt, but limiting a dietary non-essential like carbohydrate makes that so much easier.

I take the long view and don't see myself 'easing back in' any carbs that I think are detrimental to my health (i.e. the refined stuff and sugars). It will be a treat and no more.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I did it, lost 20 pounds, put 30 back on as soon as I eased carbs back in.

A familiar sentiment about going off Atkins, but also applies to going off any weight management plan. Somewhere during your "as soon as" period you managed to eat well over 100,000 extra calories! That's the eqivalent of 375 extra Snickers bars. :)

A big part of each of our weight loss plans has to be planning how to maintain the losses. Simply going off a diet doesn't work.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>

A big part of each of our weight loss plans has to be planning how to maintain the losses. Simply going off a diet doesn't work.

Yup
  • samarea1982
    Options
    Actually atkins is a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet. Most people get it wrong in thinking its high protein. It works great I have been on and off atkins for the last 3 years. Been going steady with it for the last 4 months and lost 40 lbs. i don't feel hungry and the carb cravings go away after a while.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    I find this thread very educating and entertaining. Love to see so many people so passionate about their beliefs.

What I gather from all the comments in this thread:
    1) Do what works for you
    2) Make a lifestyle change don't just "diet"
    3) Low calorie helps lose weight
    4) Low carbs helps lose your waist

My plan is to eat low calories while keeping my carb count relatively low as well. Protein to help me stay full, water to keep me hydrated and exercise to keep my body in shape. Most importantly, I need to put the fork down, push my chair away from the trough and commit to a lifetime of maintaining a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck to everyone! I hope each of you finds something that works for your body and your mind.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think people refer to it as a fad diet or unsustainable because most people stay on it for short periods of time. I know at least 2 dozen people who have tried it and stopped within 2 months. Some of them had moderate success loosing up to 30 pounds, but it's not a diet that I would personnaly recommend.

Well said!! I have done low carb, and I have done Atkins- and I have lost fast, and gained it back fast. Do I believe in low carb? You bet I do!! Do I think Atkins is the way to go? No way at all. Low carb, with lean proteins, limited starches- lots of veggies, salads. And fruit!! Yes- that is what Atkins preaches against and I knew it was wrong- how could fruit a natural grown food be bad for you. Lots of fruit is too much sugar..........I get that, but mostly that is referring to juices. A glass of OJ even naturally processed has the equivalent of how many oranges? Its too much.
    But, I eat fruit- because my body needs the vital nutrition in it. I eat apples, 3 or 4 a day, and at least 2 bananas. Now- I eat these preworkout- always- and I work out 5 days a week, I teach fitness classes and I need these powerhouse forms of fuel.

Atkins is way tooo fat friendly- I speak from experience- that diet contributed to the death of my dad, who was several 100 lbs overweight and went on and off that diet every few weeks, he would not believe anything else could work, and he ate eggs, meat and cheese, and very little veggies........so I have seen what this diet can do- the idea of non processed, low carb meals is good- but, carbs are not the enemy- saturated fats and fad diets are...........why is it so hard for people to stay on this diet long term? Because it excludes most major food groups- and we need some of all of them. We need protein, (til a few weeks ago no idea that tons of protein was in broccoli, spinach and kale), we need our veggies, and our fresh fruit- and we need to find what works for us all individually. Me- I love potatoes- I love them- fried, baked, mashed or hashed, it doesn't matter- I love them! But, I can't eat them- my body has no tolerance for this carb and I gain weight- so, 75% of the time, I avoid- and when I do have them- I enjoy them............

Balance in everything is key- and know your trigger foods
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Those of you who think Atkins diet is nothing but high fat diet are wrong. You either never read beyond induction stage of the diet or never properly followed it.

FIRST 2 WEEKS are designed to bring your ketosis levels up enough to position your body for the lipolysis state, which is where you actually lose weight. Lipolysis is a process when your body burns your fat to produce energy.

Who ever said you have to eat high-fat foods on this diet? I was on Atkins for many months. AND I have not had sausage or bacon or any other high fat foods in the past 2 years.

All of my proteins are from egg whites, lean meats: fish, turkey, chicken, occasional buffalo/bison/beef meats. You can have different fish every day with different flavors and never repeat a flavor.

All of my fat is from nuts and seeds, like hemp seed, flax seed, etc..

All of my carbs are from greens, I eat spinach, romaine, peppers, onions and many roots, like beets, radishes, etc...

I forgot what it is to eat bread, crackers, ice cream, candy, etc.. And you know what? I don't crave baked potato or rice either.

Welcome to look at my food diary. Just recently after my 50 LB weight loss, I introduced fruit, cottage cheese into my diet. In moderation of course. And still able to lose weight.

So, if you think of Atkins as a low carb diet, with added daily exercise you will agree that it is NOT a bad way to maintain your healthy nutrition.
  • mummymorgon
    Options
    Just an update really - I stayed on the atkins for just over 2 months and had a loss of 2 stone 1 lb and nearly a year later the weight is still off. I am also eating normally again, it just gave me the kick start I needed :)