What to eat before an early morning workout?

Options
Empty stomach is not for me ... whether I burn more calories or not, I'm not wanting to faint while working out!

I'd like to wake up at 6:00 a.m., eat something light enough to not make me feel sick during my workout but enough to keep me going during my workout! I would give myself until 6:35 to eat, wake up a bit and digest a little.
I do not eat dairy (basically no cheese or milk) and need some advice on what to eat. Protein shakes don't work as they have Whey Powder, and whey comes from milk!
My workout consists of 20 minutes Jillian Michaels program (light weights and cardio intervals), and 20-30 minutes recumbent bike riding varios levels. So I need some energy for sure!
Thanks in advance and don't forget, no dairy and no empty stomachs!

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on whole grain bread and half a banana a couple hours before a morning run. It sustains me quite well.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I always did my 5.30 a.m workouts (an hour long) empty stomached...then ate a hearty brekkie when I got home...never felt energyless...maybe try this, see if it suits you too?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I grab a half of a handful (or a whole handful) of nuts. Great protein & doesn't weigh me down but keeps me full.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    same here... empty stomach, but food ready to go when i'm done!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a few sips of water before my 5:00 am workouts (running or circuit training at home). I hate working out with anything on my stomach!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    spirutein is a great vegetarian protein blend of soy, pea and rice. my favorite flavors are chai latte, and chocolate peanut butter. once you get over the greenish tinge to your shake they'll be in your pantry for life. SO GOOD.

sometimes i'll eat half a banana, eat the other half after my workout. or grapefruit.
  • alimounce
    alimounce Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you, but I know I can't go empty!
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was getting nausea from eating before my 5k training. So now I do it on an empty stomach, with some water here and there, and food right after. Works good :) ... Or 1/2 banana
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I always did my 5.30 a.m workouts (an hour long) empty stomached...then ate a hearty brekkie when I got home...never felt energyless...maybe try this, see if it suits you too?
    me too!! then u actually burn more calories when you do eat your breakfast!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of steel-cut or rolled oats and 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter.

Soooo yummy! And gives me tons of energy!
  • alimounce
    Options
    spirutein is a great vegetarian protein blend of soy, pea and rice. my favorite flavors are chai latte, and chocolate peanut butter. once you get over the greenish tinge to your shake they'll be in your pantry for life. SO GOOD.

sometimes i'll eat half a banana, eat the other half after my workout. or grapefruit.

Ali: thank you ... I'm going to look for this product! It's tough finding dairy free protein that's actually edible!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Same here and I make with with unsweetened chocolate almond milk. (Sometimes I add PB or a banana if I want it sweeter.)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:45 am and do so completely fasted. I have a protein shake after my shower afterwards.
  • alimounce
    Options
    1/2 cup of steel-cut or rolled oats and 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter.

Soooo yummy! And gives me tons of energy!

Great idea! I love rolled oats, never tried it before working out but I will now :):smile:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Granola bar, banana with peanut butter, or pretzels and fruit juice are some of my favorites. Don't forget to drink plenty of water!
  • paigemeggan
    Options
    I can't do protein shakes with whey, either, but Jay Robb has a great egg white protein powder. It tastes fantastic- just blend it with Silk, a banana (or other fruit), and ice.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also need to eat a little something before a morning workout. I find a banana and a small glass of water is sufficient.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    A banana!
    My gym always has a big basket of free bananas on Friday mornings for a pre-workout snack :)

I used to do egg whites and a piece of multigrain toast, or a small bowl of steel cut oats and fresh fruit, but it was too heavy for me...all that sloshing around while I was running made me want to take a bajillion breaks to keep from hurling.
  • alimounce
    Options

Same here and I make with with unsweetened chocolate almond milk. (Sometimes I add PB or a banana if I want it sweeter.)
    AWESOME IDEA! The Unsweetened chocolate almond milk would be a good way to mix it up! thank you!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to do a crack-of-dawn bootcamp (ok, so it was 5:30am) and tried it without eating one day. Bad idea. Ate a decent sized breakfast another day...another bad idea. Finally I found that a half cup (4oz) of orange juice with a half an english muffin and a tablespoon of almond butter (with a tiny bit of honey) was perfect. The orange juice was quick sugar to get me going and the english muffin with almond butter was enough to keep me going without making me sick. When I got home I'd eat the other half of the english muffin with almond butter with my protein shake.

You could also do the OJ with a hard boiled egg (which I would love but I'm slowly working my way out of an egg sensitivity). Basically my formula was quick sugar (with vitamins just because) and then some sustainable protein.