Is too much beetroot bad for you?

Options
I've been known sit and munch my way through a whole jar of beetroot in one sitting.

I'm curious!

Replies

• Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad for you. How much is too much depends on the individual food.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i know too much makes my son's poo purple. which is entertaining. in a gross poo entertaining sort of way.
  • shortyuk
    shortyuk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand it at one point. Now though, it's almost like my version of pringles. Once i've started some, I eat the lot.

I guess that one way to get kids to try it... natural poo dye!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Cheap lippy! :p
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i actually think fresh beetroot is one of my favorite foods in the world. grated into salad. or roasted. and its super easy to grow.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Could you bake them and have them as chips? Or is that just putting ideas in your head? ;)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad for you. How much is too much depends on the individual food.

I would agree with this. Look at the nutrition facts and see what it does for you...does it put you over on carbs? If it is a packaged jar that has been pickled, is the sodium through the roof?

As a side note, I was always neutral on beets until a few years ago when I tried them for the first time in a long while and loved them. The next day, I was ready to rush to the ER after doing my business in the morning, as I was convinced I was suffering from some sort of bowel disease. Luckily, after a brief moment of panic, I realized the culprit. :blushing:
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    great vitamin C...

I know that when i start to crave beetroot its because i'm low on vit C - perhaps you shouild look at whether you are getting enough elsewhere???
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Now i would like to try this beetroot you speak of.:happy: What is the best way for a first timer to try them? What do they taste like?
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone! I get a massive jar or crinkle cut pickled beetroot and just plough through it. I think the vinegar isn't great for the ole gas, and they do add salt and sugar to some pickles.
    Dunno about fresh, but I'm not dead yet and I've done it for years but I have wondered. My bf thinks I'm nuts but I love it!

Roasted beetroot is greeeeat, someone bought me fried beetroot chips once but it ruined the flavour and made it unhealthy, couldn't see the point.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I ditto whoever said roasted beetroot is the best, because it is LITERALLY the best. I eat beetroot a lot :)
    (and it has turned my pee purple before hehe)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Check your carbs if you eat a lot. They make refined sugar from beets! That said, they're nice.
    I can't have them pickled as I'm watching sodium.
    Borscht!
  • shortyuk
    shortyuk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can roast beetroot?

I prefer them on their own or sometimes with chicken. (i've been told many times I have weird food habits)

Sometimes from a jar, more often than not I get them from my stepdad who is a green grocer.