Sugar

Options
I just realized how much sugar I have in my diet, being completely unaware of it :(

Replies

• dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    You diabetic?
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me I am only allowed 38g per day of sugar.. usually that is GONE once I have coffee and yogurt/fruit for breakfast.
    Anyway, sugar is very detrimental to your weight loss goals..
    It hides in places you would never suspect .... My advice is start reading labels on everything, and log all your foods into your MFP diary.. Im right there with you!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over your sugar allotment .. MFP has it too low for a majority of the people. I did cut out my sodas and reduced my sugar in my coffee/tea.. but yup .. I can blow my whole sugar count on fresh berries alone! That's just ridiculous.

Yes.. I'd watch it and try to stay away from as much refined and added sugars .. natural occurring sugars in food is fine .. even if it goes over.

If you eat a lot of sweet stuff .. food or sugary sodas .. then you're taking up alot of empty calories that do not fill you up and keep feeling full long enough. Just moderate as best as you can .. stick to your calorie counts .. and limit what processed/refined sugars you take in.

:-)
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    a banana and a half and 3 dates and i am already over my daily goal :sad:
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I honestly stopped tracking my sugar on MFP. It doesn't seperate natural sugars from refined sugars. Counting just added sugars I eat fewer than 10g a day. Counting fruits? I'm way over, but there is a HUGE difference between them to your body. Just watch the refined, processed sugars and you'll be ok
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i add in what i eat...look at all the categories...then add in how much exercise i have to do to make them all under goal...and then make sure i do the exercise needed...seems to be working..but the sugar end of it is really rough!! had to do 72 minutes on the elliptical one evening..i did it..but holy moly that was tough...no more cookies for me!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I always try to stay below what MFP says no matter what before exercise. Sugar is still sugar whether from fruit or not so i try to limit it as much as possable. I try to keep what i do eat of it , in fruits for the most part and not added sugar. I have to say i feel much better with less of it too! I usually will eat the majority of it with either breakfast or the am snack and not with dinner or later.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    dont eat too much refined sugar, and too much of "natural" sugar.

eating too much will increase insulin resistance, which will eventualy lead to diabetes, which leads to a freight train of other diseases which will change life quality of affected people.

for example in renal failure, cant eat meat, have to limit water to minimum.

So if you like your current lifestyle of 2-3L water per day with 3 chicken breasts per day as dinner, then better not eat sugar..
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with sugar is sugar - fruit or otherwise.
    At the end of the day, even if a banana is healthier than chocolate (because of it's vitamins) it still has as much sugar as a can of coke.
    I found that when I stuck to no sugar or low sugar I lost weight faster, If I had even a little bit of sugar - I didn't lose weight.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    KEEP YOUR SUGAR AT 20 GRAMS.... LOSE WEIGHT
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can help you with the sugar; knowledge is power and there is much to know about sugar that will truly change your life!!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    KEEP YOUR SUGAR AT 20 GRAMS.... LOSE WEIGHT

Where I can get my potassium and vitamins without fruits. I don't ever want to take any supplements.
    I wouldnt eat fruits if it werent for vitamins and other micronutrients.

I get my fibre from other foods