2»

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    good protein intake.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    If you're doing smoothies, remember: cocoa powder qualifies as a high-protein food. (Sometimes, life is good!) I'll blend it up with protein powder or cashews, pear, lime and parsley -- maybe some raspberries.
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian but I try to limit my dairy. I use Sunwarrior Blend protein powder, it's a pea protein, cranberry protein, hemp protein blend. The vanilla tastes pretty good, I don't find it to be gritty at all. You can get it on vitacost.com

Also, if you are not familiar with Happy Herbivore you may want to check out her cookbooks & website. Great recipes that adhere to the engine 2 diet.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of anybody doing something difficult, and I can only imagine the difficulty in following a vegan lifestyle in Fort Worth. Hats of to you for even trying there partner (social issues aside).
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're doing smoothies, remember: cocoa powder qualifies as a high-protein food. (Sometimes, life is good!) I'll blend it up with protein powder or cashews, pear, lime and parsley -- maybe some raspberries.
    Hmmm... I'll have to look into that.
    I'm a fan of anybody doing something difficult, and I can only imagine the difficulty in following a vegan lifestyle in Fort Worth. Hats of to you for even trying there partner (social issues aside).
    You ain't lyin'! Being a vegan in "beef country" is a serious no no. Is there any wonder I carry concealed. :bigsmile:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Arbonne's health and wellness line is all certified vegan and their protein shakes taste great. (They also have ready to go shakes, nutrition bars, and 'energy' drinks) They're also gluten and soy free if anyone has an allergy to them. Feel free to message me if you'd like more info on them. As far as hitting your macro's, it is much harder as a vegan/strict vegetarian but very doable. It is a lot of experimentation. It doesn't hurt to supplement but it is best to get your nutrition from whole, fresh foods as it is with any balanced diet. I wouldn't learn to rely on supplementing. My husband and I are going to eventually be eating 90% from our garden, and yes still be able to get all our required protein and nutrients! It just takes more planning as a Vegan/strict vegetarian.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just joined and went to the "vegan" forums....I happened to see your reference to Brendan's Vega protein powder...I couldn't tolerate it either and went on a quest for a clean vegan protein powder that I could drink...you might want to check out Sunwarrior - the warrior's blend

I am usually raw vegan with bouts of going off the wagon (for me junk food would consist of sweet potato fries or a cooked veggie/pasta dish that might contain cheese)....the longer I stay "clean" the less I desire oil, dense carb foods...Mostly I'm juicing, blending, dehydrating, and eating raw fruits and veggies, and as long as I stay on this path I loose weight (need to drop poundage, and I'm hoping to find some support here. There is a 51 day challenge starting tomorrow, so I joined at the right time! I am going to incorporate the Sunwarrior protein shakes into my vegan lifestyle as meal replacements to help me loose the weight.

Read your bio and loved the 7 things that helped you change....very inspirational. Good luck to you!
  • Hellguy76137
    Options
    OK, I finished another week and I am doing OK. There are a few times that I have eaten something and wondered if it was vegan of not and didn't look to see. I felt bad about it but I am not going to beat myself up too badly. I am still learning and will continue to make adjustments and improvements. This is a lifelong thing and I will keep learning and growing.

I am appreciative of all of the suggestions that you guys have put out there. I will be sure to look into some of them and see what works for me and what does not. I certainly am not going to try to eat foods I just do not like for the sake of eating them. I have found too many foods that I do enjoy and that are healthy that I am going to eat and make a mainstay in my diet.
  • Hellguy76137
    Options
    So the last few weeks were rough. I stumbled a little bit but overall I am doing well. Going vegan is hard work but I am sure that I will get the hang of it and be fully vegan before too much longer. I still have cravings but I am not going to kill myself over it.