I need help buying new pants!

Options
Ok, so I'm a 27 year old guy, and I'm feeling a bit out of touch with today's modern styles sometimes. I'll be honest, I grew up with my mom buying all my clothes, and have never been really good at shopping for myself. I'm about to go buy my first pair of 30" waist jeans, and I want to get a couple pairs that look really good. Where should I go, and what sort of styles should I be looking for? I probably can't spend more than $50-$60 for each pair, but I don't even really know where to begin other than say Old Navy and their "Boot Cut" styles. Any help from you fashion experts out there would be fantastic.

Replies

• AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has a lot of jeans from American Eagle that look nice and "in style" i guess... We've bought jeans there anywhere from $20-$60. They usually have some good sales.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Uh... why not just go to Walmart and get some Levis? Jeans are jeans :)
    And congrats!

Whatever you decide on, just pick a couple out that you like and go try them on in the dressing room. Be sure to squat in them and put them through their paces so you know they'll be comfortable for you at every angle. Sometimes you can even find store workers who can help dress you (pick out stuff that would look good on you)
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I buy my stuff at discount stores, like Marshalls, Kohls, and Ross. They have great deals! Clothes are in style or last years style. Cheap stuff but nice.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Aeropostle, Ambercrombie & Fitch, Kohl's, American Eagle are all great places to buy guys jeans. Congrats on a new you!
    Piano teacher huh? My hubby is a piano player...Love the music... :happy:

Jan AKA PoeRaven
    536659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Any dark wash boot cut jean is always in style.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Old navy tries to mirror the styles of popular brands.... I like Aeropostale personally due to the half off sales. And the occasional American Eagle.

Sometimes, if I feel like spending cash I go to Banana Republic.
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I know I don't like the style of plain old Levi's. I wanted something that just pops out a little more. I have a couple Aeropostle shirts my sister gave me as a gift. Maybe I'll try there for some jeans. I am a piano teacher yes, and it's the best choice I ever made in my life. I think I'll need to head to Monterey tomorrow since they have all those stores you just mentioned. Thanks for the help, this should give me some more direction in my search. I'll post some new pics once I have my new jeans, and see if they receive approval.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Go to a moderately priced store and tell the sweetest looking sales girl that you're clueless. I'm sure she'll go out of her way to help. Except don't say your mom used to buy your clothes... say your ex or something like that. That sounds better! LOL Ask questions about cut, fit, fabric, etc. Just make sure you get an appropriate length and don't get talked into anything too trendy - trendy jeans will limit the number of seasons you can wear them and will make them less able to go with different shirts and shoes. Try The Gap because they're stylish but classic, and about $50 - $60 a pair. And Gap jeans last forever. I wore one pair for almost ten years until I tore the entire butt out getting into a cab in DC in the middle of winter. That sucked. So maybe keep them 9.5 years... :wink:
  • pianoteacherevan
    Options
    Go to a moderately priced store and tell the sweetest looking sales girl that you're clueless. I'm sure she'll go out of her way to help. Except don't say your mom used to buy your clothes... say your ex or something like that. That sounds better! LOL Ask questions about cut, fit, fabric, etc. Just make sure you get an appropriate length and don't get talked into anything too trendy - trendy jeans will limit the number of seasons you can wear them and will make them less able to go with different shirts and shoes. Try The Gap because they're stylish but classic, and about $50 - $60 a pair. And Gap jeans last forever. I wore one pair for almost ten years until I tore the entire butt out getting into a cab in DC in the middle of winter. That sucked. So maybe keep them 9.5 years... :wink:

My ex "did" used to buy all my clothes :) Thanks for your help, this is sound advice.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It's not the brand that counts it's how you look and feel in them that counts... I have never seen someone walk up to someone and look at what brand their jeans are ... If you feel comfy in them and they make you feel good about your self then buy them!!!! Also CONGRATS!!!!!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My son is a 30 in waist size and gets his jeans from Aeropostle and Pac Sun. They are usually around $30-$50 and occasionally they are on sale buy a pair get the second for 1/2 off. Congrats on your "problem" of needing new pants. :bigsmile:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The best pair of jeans my husband ever bought were from Armani Exchange outlet, I think he got them for a great price too....they look really good, and he's husky...so if you're buying 30s, I'm sure they'll look fantastic on you!
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I buy mostly all of our jeans at Express. They usually have big sales and offer lots of coupons. Honestly, they are always trending, fit great, and last long. HIghly recommended- and I'm not a spokesperson for Express- just a big fan! :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I buy my stuff at discount stores, like Marshalls, Kohls, and Ross. They have great deals! Clothes are in style or last years style. Cheap stuff but nice.

He speaks the truth :) I get stuff from Kohls, Ross and Bealls. And Wal-Mart has good stuff sometimes.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Definately American eagle....OR BIG STAR are very sexy jeans, but they are more around $70-120 jeans, but well worth the $$
    Oh and CONGRATS on that 30 waist!
  • pianoteacherevan
    Options
    I like the idea of sexy and jeans to be in the same sentence. What's $100 if they're going to last years anyway? I've always gotten by with only a few pairs for years as it is.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Time to get some good stuff man.
  • laurenashley923
    Options
    http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=6998

boot or standard style ... gap jeans always seem to last :)
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I buy mostly all of our jeans at Express. They usually have big sales and offer lots of coupons. Honestly, they are always trending, fit great, and last long. HIghly recommended- and I'm not a spokesperson for Express- just a big fan! :)

I second Express! My 20 year old gets all his clothes there.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love a guy in Levis. They have modern styles. I wouldn't get boot cut though. Go with straight leg. It will make you look slimmer. Good luck. Get a young sales lady's opinion.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!