When the TV doesn't work.....and when it does.

Options
Today at the gym I found myself on a treadmill with a non-working audio control. I plugged in but no sound. So since every one of the other 50 units were occupied I had to turn to the Ipod on my Iphone. Wow. What I found was wonderful. After listening to some .38 Special, i found myself going to all of my old favorites. Yes, Triumph, Kansas, Supertramp and Asia. Before I knew it 50 minutes flew by, I had 700 calories burned and I was feeling great. I know what I need to do tomorrow.

What do you listen to to make workouts fly by?

Now the second part of this post. As stated above the gym I belong to has 50 Cardiovision machines. As I tend to work on the back row, I get a chance to see what most of the people are watching. What amazes me is that as hard as we all work we tend to watch one of three things on the tube while working out. 1. News, 2. Sports, and 3. FOOD shows. It is amazing because Food Network is on more than half of the machines today. Rachel Ray is on 10 machines and she is doing food. ESPN is on the rest. Why is it that as hard as we work to lose weight, we are infatuated with making more food? I found it funny as I continued my session listening to Breakfast in America.

Replies

• Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious! I can't imagine watching a cooking show and working out simultaneously. :D

I really love to listen to dance music while I work out, anything with a fast/upbeat tempo usually does it for me.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    50 treadmills and all occupied! Wow -- my gym has about 8. Like you, I have to listen to music or watch something while I'm on the treadmill or the elliptical or else I get too bored. I don't usually watch TV because I get tired of the commercials.
    Some of my favorite music for working out: Little Richard, early Michael Jackson (Rockin Robin), Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers, The Police, Nirvana, White Stripes, Bob Marley.
    I also like to download podcasts of radio shows, such as This American Life and Terry Gross interviews on Fresh Air and listen to those while I work out. I get so immersed in the interview or the story I forget I'm exercising.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    Caught my eye that you listed Yes first. My fave band for forever!! Rock on!
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I got the nike+ thingy for in my shoes and it connects with my new ipod touch, I love it because it tracks my calories better than my guessing and entering it in mfp. I found that nike+ makes some play lists and the one I got is pretty good. It's one of the 10k ones to help you train, it even coaches me to run faster in innervals and stuff. I can't run because of my asthma but it keeps me at a pretty fast pased walk. I also listen to other fast paced music a mix of several genre's. :) I could never watch food shows while I was exercising, it would just make me want to quit and eat... silly people
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    I alternate between music and TV. my gym recently up graded all the machines....so they all have TV's. I am in a TV mode right now...I watch midless TV, brain candy is what I call it, some stupid reality show or court shows (don't judge me, LOL) or jeopardy or law and order if i am lucky.... I find that watching TV helps the time go by for me and then I am watching the screen, not the seconds tick by much too slowly for my taste. I also LOVE to people watch. Sometimes the interesting characters are enough to keep my mind occupied.

Music I like for exercise is current hip hop/r&b like Rhianna, Beyonce, Pink, FloRida. I also like the peppier country like Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum. Usher has some great upbeat tunes, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Joss Stone is also GREAT for working out. So those are some of my current artists in my gym playlist.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Food shows? Really? I cannot watch Food Network EVER because of the naughty ideas it gives me... much less watch it while working out. That is insane!

I have a special playlist for the gym that is full of songs about.... don't be mad.... women torturing men!! That really gets me pumped!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Music - I've got a playlist called "pump" that I put all kinds of different songs that'll pump me up while running or on the elliptical. Allot of 80s tracks and singles, punk or ska songs, anything that pumps you up. Like Wild, Wild West from Escape club, M.J. Beat It, Eye of the Tiger, Dangerous from Roxette, Lose Yourself from Eminem, The Final Countdown from Europe, and then some NOFX, Reel Big Fish, Hoobastank, Suicide Machines, Mad Caddies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. Really anything that has a strong beat and gets me pumped.

That's surprising about the food channel. At home I'll usually put in action movies when I'm on the treadmill, like Terminator, or Bad Boys 2, or anything that has car chases and explosions, just rediculos big-budget nonesense usually gets me to push myself harder than watching somebody make food. Even sports would be too boring unless it's something extreme.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow...I couldn't watch a cooking show and workout. Drool on the machines is gross!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Stupid laggy double clicky...ARGH!
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The big thing on my Iphone for working out? Lady Gaga. She may dress very odd, but her music really helps to keep my mind of the pain. Also, (dont judge) the really nasty rap songs about some girl who is sexy with great body. I don't know why, as I do not listen to rap unless forced to, but it motivates me.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wow...I couldn't watch a cooking show and workout. Drool on the machines is gross!

Yea, I can't imagine that either. Although, if I had to, I'd watch Good Eats to feed my brain and my tummy.
  • pjansen
    pjansen Posts: 19
    Options
    ***Hip hop for sure***

Justin Timberlake (Future sex love sounds)
    Pitbull (Rebelution) Gangsta hip hop
    Beastie Boys (Hello Nasty) White boy gangsta rap
    Lenny Kravitz (Greatest hits)

***Blues - second***

Susan Tedeschi (Just wont burn)
    (Wait for me)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan (All)

***Classic rock - third***

Pink Floyd (All)
    Aerosmith (Greatest hits)
    Nirvana (MTV Unplugged in New York)
    Santana (Supernatural)

I use a Creative Labs Zen V plus MP3 player: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1983171,00.asp
    Tiny, smooth, cheap and mind blowing sound. Get one.

With Skull Candy "Smokin Buds" (in ear canal monitors) the best buds in the world for the money:
    http://www.target.com/Skullcandy-Smokin-Bud-Stereo-Earbuds/dp/B0023RRNNU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1268099910&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576|1287991011&keywords=candy_skulls&searchSize=30&id=Skullcandy Smokin Bud Stereo Earbuds&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,target_com_age,target_com_gender-bin,target_com_character-bin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-4&searchPage=1

Buy them, you'll be sooooo glad you did. You'll throw your ipod in the trash.

You'll have a life changing music experience I guarentee it. It will make you work outs, bike rides and walks seen short.

Let me know what you think when you do buy this set.
  • Questfor250
    Questfor250 Posts: 155
    Options
    Music - I've got a playlist called "pump" that I put all kinds of different songs that'll pump me up while running or on the elliptical. Allot of 80s tracks and singles, punk or ska songs, anything that pumps you up. Like Wild, Wild West from Escape club, M.J. Beat It, Eye of the Tiger, Dangerous from Roxette, Lose Yourself from Eminem, The Final Countdown from Europe, and then some NOFX, Reel Big Fish, Hoobastank, Suicide Machines, Mad Caddies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. Really anything that has a strong beat and gets me pumped.

That's surprising about the food channel. At home I'll usually put in action movies when I'm on the treadmill, like Terminator, or Bad Boys 2, or anything that has car chases and explosions, just rediculos big-budget nonesense usually gets me to push myself harder than watching somebody make food. Even sports would be too boring unless it's something extreme.

Wow, How could I forget The Final Countdown. It is definitely on tomorrows playlist. Awesome song to pump you up. And the scary part is it is my ringtone on my phone.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Metallica, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Creed, Breaking Benjamins, Avenged Sevenfold, Godsmack, Shinedown, Three Days Grace. All get my blood boiling.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Metallica, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Creed, Breaking Benjamins, Avenged Sevenfold, Godsmack, Shinedown, Three Days Grace. All get my blood boiling

***I agree!!****

Btw...Bobby Flay can make some yummy dishes and good for you food on Food TV...Could watch him alll day:)
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    And also any thing that gets me angry tends to work well. Workouts become my vent!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    that is too funny! i am one of those watching food shows. :D i love taking their idea and making it better and healthier.

i can't run to the'final countdown' or 'eye of the tiger'. the beat is too slow. i found my playlist from a guy that took the speed you wanted to run at and found songs that had that beat. i wish i could remember the website. it is great! there are a lot of songs that i would not normally have put on my playlist.
    dawn
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My gym has something called Cardio Cinema with bikes, elipticals, treadmills, stairmasters which is set up like a movie theater. 9 times out of 10 I will be in there for my Cardio but the couple times they were either full or showing a movie I don't like. The other times just listen to my work out playlist which is a mix of different things as long as they have some good fast beat.

Physical - Olivia Newton John
    Waking Up In Vegas - Katy Perry
    Higher Ground - RHCP
    Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
    Temperature - Sean Paul
    Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
    3 - Britney Spears
    Bombs Over Baghdad - Outkast
    Disturbia - Rihanna
    Evacuate the Dancefloor - Cascada
    Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
    Down - Jay Sean
    Fighter - Christina Aguilera
    Work - Ciara
    You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
    Tik Tok - Ke$ha
    Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
    Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
    American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
    Pon De Replay - Rihanna
    Blue (Da Ba Dee) - Eiffle 65
    She Wolf - Shakira
    Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
    My Sharona - The Knack
  • Questfor250
    Questfor250 Posts: 155
    Options
    My gym has something called Cardio Cinema with bikes, elipticals, treadmills, stairmasters which is set up like a movie theater. 9 times out of 10 I will be in there for my Cardio but the couple times they were either full or showing a movie I don't like. The other times just listen to my work out playlist which is a mix of different things as long as they have some good fast beat.

Physical - Olivia Newton John
    Waking Up In Vegas - Katy Perry
    Higher Ground - RHCP
    Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
    Temperature - Sean Paul
    Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
    3 - Britney Spears
    Bombs Over Baghdad - Outkast
    Disturbia - Rihanna
    Evacuate the Dancefloor - Cascada
    Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
    Down - Jay Sean
    Fighter - Christina Aguilera
    Work - Ciara
    You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
    Tik Tok - Ke$ha
    Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
    Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
    American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
    Pon De Replay - Rihanna
    Blue (Da Ba Dee) - Eiffle 65
    She Wolf - Shakira
    Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
    My Sharona - The Knack

I agree with all of these except the first. Physical? no way.......:)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    physical was put on as a joke and usually gets skipped. ;)