New to MFP-Recovering from knee surgery

Options
Hi all,

I'm Kari and new to this site. I'm recovering from a pretty invasive knee surgery 4 weeks ago, and just went back to work today. Uggh, that was rough. Over the past few years, I've lost about 50lbs and managed to keep it off, but I still have another 50 to go. I'm also up 10lbs since the summer due to a lack of working out with my increased knee issues.

I'm recovering nicely, if slowly, and while I am not cleared to work out yet, I decided to really take this to the next level to avoid putting on more weight from general inactivity. I have a lot of limitations on what I can do activity-wise, but I'm trying to keep the right perspective and not expect too much. Thus far, I'm swimming and doing pilates

Looking for some buddies to help me on my way, feel free to add me!

Kari

Replies

• veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Kari!

I'm fairly new to this site too.

I've got knee issues and have an appointment Friday with a sports medicine doctor. I may be in the same boat as you in a while. I'm working out some, but my knee problem has definitely side-lined me. It's good to hear you are able to do some type of exercise. For now, I'm riding the stationary bike, doing light leg exercises and working my upper body.

I'm may be looking to you for advice after my doctor's visit on Friday.:sad:
  • kschueller
    kschueller Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your Dr. appt!

Believe me, I can sympathize....I've had it all done to my left knee--ACL/MCL tear, minicus damage, various injections, and now 3 surgeries. The one thing that I've learned from this 10 year relationship with a bum knee is that things are so much worse when you carry extra weight. My Dr. told me a few weeks ago that your knees feel 4x your actual weight, so losing just 1 pound is like losing 4 pounds to your knees. Even though I had heard this before, I really took it to heart this time

Let me know if you have any questions on Friday and good luck!!