Jogging vs sprinting

Options
124»

Replies

• nkklllll
    Options
    Once again, I never stated that fast twitch muscles were never used in distance running. But the idea that they take over when slow twitch fibers are fatigued makes no sense since they require more energy AND have a lower capacity for endurance than slow twitch fibers.

Apparently I did say that . . . slip of tongue and/or I misspoke. My apologies.

Another edit: I'll concede when I'm wrong when I'm wrong. Doesn't change my views on how to train much. Nor does it change the advice that I would give someone looking to add jogging or sprinting to a lifting routine. Again, depends on the goal the fitness age of the person in question. Want to slim up and cut fat, distance running. Looking to gain size and/or power, sprints.

I'm not being dogmatic, or trying not to be, I hate running in general so I look for my cardiovascular training in circuit style workouts, and I acknowledge the fact that you can use sprints to slim down so long as your diet matches that fact, and distance running may not necessarily allow you to burn the amount of calories you desire.

So, all that being said, I apologize for my brashness, but alas, doesn't change the application of my views much as I see it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think that it is probably true. Look at the difference in physique between elite marathon runners and elite sprinters. The sprinters are very muscular, while the marathoners are very thin and lithe.

But really, unless you're an elite athlete, do both.

Yes, there are different physiques between the two. Obviously being light is an advantage when running longer, however , the difference in physique is not proof that long distance running breaks down muscle.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Once again, I never stated that fast twitch muscles were never used in distance running. But the idea that they take over when slow twitch fibers are fatigued makes no sense since they require more energy AND have a lower capacity for endurance than slow twitch fibers.

Apparently I did say that . . . slip of tongue and/or I misspoke. My apologies.

Another edit: I'll concede when I'm wrong when I'm wrong. Doesn't change my views on how to train much. Nor does it change the advice that I would give someone looking to add jogging or sprinting to a lifting routine. Again, depends on the goal the fitness age of the person in question. Want to slim up and cut fat, distance running. Looking to gain size and/or power, sprints.

I'm not being dogmatic, or trying not to be, I hate running in general so I look for my cardiovascular training in circuit style workouts, and I acknowledge the fact that you can use sprints to slim down so long as your diet matches that fact, and distance running may not necessarily allow you to burn the amount of calories you desire.

So, all that being said, I apologize for my brashness, but alas, doesn't change the application of my views much as I see it.

No problem. You have my respect.

Peace.